Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2692, 2693, 2694 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

This Bus today must be a scam ad so I deleted it
1965 So42 Camper Price: 48000
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2595539
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ad text was weird, like it's AI generated:
Quote:
1965 SO42 camper my father bought this camper in 1990s and has been a member of this family ever since. It wasn’t an object for him, and many childhood memories are tied to it. Sadly, my father passed away, and he is not in the position to keep it anymore, so I inherited to sell it, however heartbreaking this is for him. the bus has been in this family longer than he.
As you can see in the gallery, the bus was well taken care of, including refinishing the exterior, interior and the engine. There are no signs of rust. The interior looks as if it were never used, with beautiful well-kept furniture. The roof rack in the rear greatly extends the luggage capacity, and the pop-up roof section allows the occupants to stand while inside the camper. Once there, you’d notice the collapsible table and the two-bench seats facing each other. The rear bench folds flat into a full-size bed, perfect for spending the night. The water dispenser and the icebox are part of the camping equipment, improving the experience on the road.

The ad text was also stolen from here:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/42-year-owned-v...89294.html

I think that might be an AI-generated "story" too even though it says it was written by an actual person.

Thanks to the 2 members who red flagged it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Consider it lucky most the scammers have poor grammar and in this case like others just have logic errors. In one sentence the “he” bought it in the 90’s then a sentence later says “bus has been in this family longer than he”. Also,
“he is not in the position to keep it anymore”. He is dead.. Really? Zero sense.

Lastly, I think the price is too high Shocked
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AI generated scam ads.
Get ready for lots more of these.
AI text is the new hot thing on the interwebs.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
AI generated scam ads.
Get ready for lots more of these.
AI text is the new hot thing on the interwebs.

AI text is much more natural than that. Try registering with ChatGPT and asking it a question... https://chat.openai.com/auth/login

My guess is that English isn't the first language of whoever was the original author of that text. (The person who the scammer nicked the text from.)

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

When and ad refers to a dead person experiencing "heartbreak" I consider my wallet safe in my pocket.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I am curious what this single cab will go for. The seller on eBay writes:

“Selling my 1964 almost complete project, I have the Safari windshields new in the box, it needs a gas tank and miscellaneous hardware like locks for engine compartment and side compartment, New mirrors are inside the cab, motor is original and refreshed, body work has been done by a 78 year old German in Paraguay with alot of new sheet metal sent from here and hardly any bondo.
Car is in Miami and I can quote you shipping to any zip code in the states or International.

Not too many of these around anymore, dont hesitate!!”

It certainly does look like a 78 year restored it. It’s not straight, nose is a different color than the rest of it. Curious as to how you do a whole restore but can’t get tires or rims on it if you’re blasting already. Seller doesn’t put the M-Code up. ‘Original’ motor sans air cleaner and ‘refreshed’.

FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
‘Original’ motor sans air cleaner and ‘refreshed’.

The alternator belt is on inside out Shocked . Among many other red flags on that engine. The intake line to the fuel pump suggests they have been running it from a gas can in the bed or engine bay.
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
1970PAKombi wrote:

The alternator belt is on inside out Shocked . Among many other red flags on that engine. The intake line to the fuel pump suggests they have been running it from a gas can in the bed or engine bay.

Yep. 'Expertly restored'!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:

This picture screams South America... no heat shroud, bolt on oil bath bracket, alternator with fan, clear fuel line, hole in bed support for fresh air intake, hole in sheetmetal to right of engine for cyclonic airfilter to dump debris.

And then I read the text, restored in Paraguay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
1970PAKombi wrote:

Makes sense.. i dont see a gas tank

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
1970PAKombi wrote:

The alternator belt is on inside out Shocked .

Depends on who made the belt. There are some that are intended to be run notch-side-out... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/v-belts-with-the-notches-on-the-outside.1030552/

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
FarmerBill wrote:
1970PAKombi wrote:

Depends on who made the belt. There are some that are intended to be run notch-side-out... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/v-belts-with-the-notches-on-the-outside.1030552/

I'm pretty sure it is on wrong. The belt looks twisted just a bit to go in the crank pulley groove while it looks to be riding almost on top of the alt pulley.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
FarmerBill wrote:
1970PAKombi wrote:

Makes sense.. i dont see a gas tank

It's a truck, tank is where the back seat is on buses.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
The seller on eBay writes:

“Selling my 1964 almost complete project, I have the Safari windshields new in the box, it needs a gas tank
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

I've never seen a toothed back belt like that. All the ones I've seen look more like the teeth on a timing or blower belt.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Not necessarily a whine but the wording "Body panels were reportedly replaced and provisions for a sunroof were also adapted during this time" makes me believe this is a clone??
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2596956
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2594844

I mostly just feel bad for people that think things are worth more than they really are. $3k would be generous only if they included the engine.
a smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2594844

I mostly just feel bad for people that think things are worth more than they really are. $3k would be generous only if they included the engine.

Is it they think it is worth more then reality or is it a case of throwing it at the wall to see what sticks?

On a side note am I alone in looking at shortened busses and thinking coffin on wheels?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

a smith wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
FarmerBill wrote:
1970PAKombi wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is on wrong. The belt looks twisted just a bit to go in the crank pulley groove while it looks to be riding almost on top of the alt pulley.

If the pulley alignment is way out of whack could it cause the belt to do that on its own? Either way the Puma shroud and numerous other BS-eries tells me my wallet is safe.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Solid is not the word I would use to describe this Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2597586
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2692, 2693, 2694 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2693 of 2710

Jump to: