Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2698, 2699, 2700 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
This picture oozes quality.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/9943724.jpg

Wow, I lost count on things done wrong there......
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

1) “Don’t ask to come look at it” is so dumb. Hope he has a gallery of pics.

2) I can make, and have made, under dash kick panels for chimera buses like this. But please let me know when ordering. Sometimes a bus has had bodywork done and the metal is not 100% stock. Or has pieces from other years. Happens, and sometimes it is for a bus that had a nose job 20 years before, by a PO. I’ve even seen buses with mismatched headlight buckets. People want the kick panels to fit the bus. But that is not a sign of a top notch restoration.

3) about high hinge - good point. Progressive refinements says that changed at 705 620 on December 29, 1960. So was it buildt in 1960? Speedo Pod cut out is for early parcel tray, so it’s not a late 61, or at least that piece of metal isn’t.
Bottom line: Double check VIN/ tags on bus and compare to paperwork. I don’t really care if it’s titled as 60 or 61 or 62 as long as the VIN is correct for the bus and the paperwork matches the VIN. Pic of m-code plate?

I have seen paperwork with digits mixed up. I once advertised a 70 westy dormy top camper for a non computer savvy friend, and it turned out the title had two of the digits in the wrong order. I guess a DMV employee had fat fingered it at some point. A potential buyer acted like I was trying the scam him, which was a weak sauce move. I got the paperwork sorted by the DOL, but that buyer had moved on, in a stinky way. We sold it for more to someone else, though. 😀
I’ve also seen engine number on title (more that once, this was normal in early 50s in WA, and usually the original engine was missing) so there can be issues even if no one is trying the scam you. Also seen a 20- prefix on a title for a 56 bus, though the prefix had been dropped, so I guess a DMV official put it on the paperwork from habit? Anyhow, always good to check the paperwork. This bus, it doesn’t look like a 62 bus nor a 62 model year bus buildt in 1961.

PeteSC wrote:
EverettB wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
"Look at the photos. Please do not ask to come look (at it) first."

Yes, take my money, please.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2613681

You don't buy things for $55,000 no questions asked without seeing it in person first? Very Happy

Also that paint job looks substandard, they appeared to have sprayed the engine compartment/gas tank/front cab/etc all at once with barely taping anything off and maybe zero disassembly

It has 64-up heater vents so red flag!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It also appears to be a high-hinge bus, which I thought ended in '60 build year/'61 model year? This is supposed to be a '62 model/built in '61 bus. Or maybe I'm off on when the change occured.

On the bright side I think the seller will be pleased to learn that no one is likely to ask to come look at it. Very Happy

1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
On the bright side I think the seller will be pleased to learn that no one is likely to ask to come look at it. Very Happy

lol touche lol
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
OVIEDOAV wrote:
Skim wrote:
oakman wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oakman wrote:
I don't see this happening at that price for a pink two-tone custom double cab but what do I know?:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2293038

He's listed this Truck on and off for around 10 years.

I don't KNOW but I believe he's one of those people that whenever it might actually sell, he decides it wasn't enough money, pulls the ad, and relists it for more later.

There are a few of those people on the site, I have seen a few similar reports on a few Beetle ads.

I remember he had an orange "krew kab" listed forever that looked very similar. This is the first time I've seen this pink "krew kab".

Ev, this pink & white DC was up for sale a few months ago out of Simi Valley Ca. by the owner who had owned it back in the 90's I remember it from the old California VW Jamboree days -

Someone finally bought it a few months ago and it went to Missouri but yes he also had that orange crew cab that was set up similar. I've talked to the new owner about another car he was selling. Nice guy.

So, any particular thoughts on this DC? I also got it confused with the other one. This seller has contacted me a possible trade on this one, so wanted to know if anything obviously funky besides the color and trim jumped out at the pros.

I looked at the pics and

Gate hinge looks repaired in this photo and also the bed looks wavy

Hinge repairs are not uncommon, although a little weird if it's an original CA Truck

Lower nose looks like rust is coming through here

oh wow it's back Rolling Eyes Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2614454
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I saw that too and couldn't believe someone actually bought it in the first place since it was for sale for so long and I KNEW it needed a bunch of work.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

But the seller is now new as of yesterday Shocked

Erik G wrote:
EverettB wrote:
OVIEDOAV wrote:
Skim wrote:
oakman wrote:
EverettB wrote:
oakman wrote:
I don't see this happening at that price for a pink two-tone custom double cab but what do I know?:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2293038

He's listed this Truck on and off for around 10 years.

I don't KNOW but I believe he's one of those people that whenever it might actually sell, he decides it wasn't enough money, pulls the ad, and relists it for more later.

There are a few of those people on the site, I have seen a few similar reports on a few Beetle ads.

I remember he had an orange "krew kab" listed forever that looked very similar. This is the first time I've seen this pink "krew kab".

Ev, this pink & white DC was up for sale a few months ago out of Simi Valley Ca. by the owner who had owned it back in the 90's I remember it from the old California VW Jamboree days -

Someone finally bought it a few months ago and it went to Missouri but yes he also had that orange crew cab that was set up similar. I've talked to the new owner about another car he was selling. Nice guy.

So, any particular thoughts on this DC? I also got it confused with the other one. This seller has contacted me a possible trade on this one, so wanted to know if anything obviously funky besides the color and trim jumped out at the pros.

I looked at the pics and

Gate hinge looks repaired in this photo and also the bed looks wavy

Hinge repairs are not uncommon, although a little weird if it's an original CA Truck

Lower nose looks like rust is coming through here

oh wow it's back Rolling Eyes Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2614454

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

It's a different seller, he bought it from the previous owner.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

It’s interesting to actually meet “that guy” left holding the bag. Apparently they live in texas. Who knew
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

That pink double cab is the very heart and soul of the Whines thread.
A more perfect target would be difficult to find.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Just a thought...at a minimum, paint the bottom half of that bus before trying to sell it for stupid $$$$. Heck, even a coat of cheap primer over the whole bus would look worlds better.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
Just a thought...at a minimum, paint the bottom half of that bus before trying to sell it for stupid $$$$. Heck, even a coat of cheap primer over the whole bus would look worlds better.

Ad is marked pending now, so maybe hot pink DCs are more desirable than we know. 😀
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

My whine is that I didn't buy this tent when it was $4k back in October.

Nice flip and great use of the same photos from the original ad (which can be found in the gallery).
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:

Nice flip and great use of the same photos from the original ad (which can be found in the gallery).

I had a shot at it early but hoped someone who actually has a bus this tent would go on would buy it.

Silly me.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

I had a shot at it early but hoped someone who actually has a bus this tent would go on would buy it.

Silly me.

Are you saying you were looking at Samba ads at OCTO and not BSing with others like I was? Laughing

By the time I saw it, the ad was still up but I figured one of three other persons at OCTO that frequent these forums had already picked it up.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Fabric tents and plastic bowls and water tanks are ephemeral in their materials of construction. They degrade and fade away so good examples will always appreciate in value.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:

Only missing one of those stupid cyclops lights.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:

Not surprising- that seller is a flake.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
AC Mack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
j.pickens wrote:

I thought those were referred to as idiot lights. No?
1966 Westfalia so42 Schiebedach fabrik 4864
1967 Model 231 EZ Kamper # 1940
1978 Westfalia P 31 / 1987 Westfalia Wolfram Grau
Split Bus Club / Lost Coast Bays / North Coast Vans
Long may that Split Bus run!
Always and Everywhere Volkswagen
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

AC Mack wrote:
crofty wrote:
j.pickens wrote:

I thought those were referred to as idiot lights. No?

Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Who wants to tell him it's not original.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2616889

The price seems consistent with other repops vs an original in that condition.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2698, 2699, 2700 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2699 of 2710

Jump to: