Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus sightings / Spotter's thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
P-Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

I have been noticing a lot more split busses on the road lately in my area. I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to post sightings. So here goes...

Sunday 4/4 on CA 150 at Lake Casitas. 15 window sealing wax/primer

Monday 4/13 on Victoria Ave. in Ventura. Slamed red crew-cab

Wednesday 4/7 Victora & Olvias Adobe in Ventura. Blue/white pop-top Westy
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I saw that red crew cab on Monday out on Wells Road!

I keep seeing a blue and white 11 window (or so) out in Simi/Moorpark area. He has some latters on top; looks to be his work vehicle.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Splits I see around here are either friend's buses while I'm at their house, or my bus while I'm at my house.
britrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I saw more split window busses on the road. Here in Utah you don't see too many.

There is an early double cab, which is really ratty that a co-worker of mine drives, and there is the single cab which my mechanic drives.

Other than those two, and my 11 window I haven't actually seen a split window bus on the road in a LONG time. Its probably been a year or so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see a bay every once in a while. thats about it.

joe
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this one metallic blue kombi with chrome safaris in my area every once and a while. Of course, I'm always in a rush to get somewhere when I see it, so I can't chase him down.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoted a '58 primer gray panel, slammed with a full length roof rack blazin' down los osos valley road... fu*ker ran a red light... I chased him down, as I wanted to check his ride.... sweeeeet! but hard to catch.
WharfRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spotted a 66 westy in southern indiana for sale, 1200 bucks. the interior was spectacular, but it had been wrecked on the pass. side front and repaired rather poorly. lot of bondo on the nose, and the pass side door was from an earlier year bus. c'est la vie...
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself here in Pa. hope to see less of them, well, busses are fine. You see I'm finishing a 59 single & I'm one of those people who hates to have the same car, or anything at that matter as everyone else. I have only seen 2 other than mine & one of them belongs to UZI, I think, but he's about a half hour away from me & our paths will probably never cross unless it's at a show(if i ever get mine done Mad). I love splittys, I just don't want them to become trendy & everyone rush out & get one, only to beat the shit out of it, like most people do with there cars(no real care seems to be given anymore, its like desposible cars anymore). I'll bet the guy with the rattiest looking vw that drives it every day, cares more about his car than the people around him at a red light!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun when the family gets involved.... sometimes. Laughing My Dad (78 and not in to cars at all) tells me about this bus he saw and he just had to take me to where he saw it parked a few times. On the way he starts discribing it to me. Front part bus like mine and the back is a pick up truck bed and no its not factory. Looks like home made he says. I say are you sure it's not a Ghia body on the back because it sounds like "El Ghiaoblo" (sp?). Half bus, half Ghia. No it isn't that he says. Sure enough it is. At least it was fun spending time with my dad.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
britrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love splittys, I just don't want them to become trendy & everyone rush out & get one, only to beat the shit out of it, like most people do with there cars

I agree, but I would like to see a few.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
WharfRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i certainly don't want them to become "trendy" either, but there are VERY few splitties in the louisville area. i only know of three, and i have only seen the afforementioned basket case. i have only seen two bays, and only a handful of beetles. it would be nice to have a larger network of vw folks in my area. all in all, i think i would rather see more splittie owners in my area, even if it becomes a trend. if nothing else, it would mean more splitties put back in driveable condition, and then once the trend riders tire of them, they can sell them to me for cheaper than what they put into the buses.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a cat near tinton falls area here in nj w/ a splitty kombi. it was grey primer and white? he had lumber on the roof and was headed toward brookdale community college. looked pretty nice but i was late on my route or i would have chased him down!! yo! unknown splitty driver, you on here?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a lowered 62 or 63 Kombi at Capitol and Story Rds in San Jose today. Repro Westy rack. Primer green under white. Threw the hi sign at me. Smile

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see bays on the road all the time but there are a ton of splittys around here, They just drive them weekends or so. I always do see a sweet panel in Downtown.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I proposed this a few months ago in the rants. Everyone started talking aobut movie vws The Ls1.com site has sightings, It could be very cool especially living in so cal. Maybe there should be a whole topic for it. for all vws
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P-Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, April 15 at the Indian MC Shop in Ventura, Yellow & white SHORTY single cab Crying or Very sad

I saw this bus again today parked, and left a SV2s business card
Quote:
Wednesday 4/7 Victora & Olvias Adobe in Ventura. Blue/white pop-top Westy
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely see any other VW buses in day-to-day commuting. Occasionally I will see a Vanagon or Eurovan and get excited... I never see any splits unless I'm going to a show and hardly ever see any bay window buses.

Fortunately there a few other split bus drivers around and we hook up for local shows, cruises and campouts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, you've left one of those cards on my Splitty before! LOL Six plus months ago... I work on Saturdays and can't make those meetings.
PARTSSCOOT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly ever spot any splitties here in Mesa AZ. Funny story, but the other day I was dropping off a Vespa at the local shop and was BS'ing with my customer out front about busses and I was telling him that the previous owner had but a bay window front bumper on my splitty and as I tried to describe the better looking splitty bumpers a mid sixties drove by right when I said "they're supposed to be like that"! There was also another split panel yet another 10ft down the road, it belongs to a local microbrewery. Does anyone here own the pre 62 double door in Tempe?
It's been sitting there for the past 3 or 4 years, for sale?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: