Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging indicator
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splittie65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Charging indicator Reply with quote

I have an alternator conversion on my '65 splitty that has been on there some time.

When I start the engine up, the charging light stays red until I rev the engine quite high. Once I've done this, it goes out, and it stays out even at low revs.

As I intend to do a large road trip soon, I wondered if this is something I should worry about (and if so how to sort it) or will it be fine.

I should add the belt is taught and not slipping.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging indicator Reply with quote

Not a problem, with an alternator vs generator they all do that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging indicator Reply with quote

Some take a few more revs to initiate a charge, not really any thing to worry about. If it bugs you try a higher wattage bulb in the speedo, but that might bring on new problems so best you just live with it as is. Does a volt meter say the battery is charging once the light goes out?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging indicator Reply with quote

Which crankshaft pulley are you running? Too small can cause charging problems and increase engine operating temp so as to reduce longevity.

Posting an image of the engine might help.
splittie65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging indicator Reply with quote

As requested... a photo of the engine. Also a photo of the van, just because Cool

Since this photo was taken i've added a split charger which shows upto max 15V when the engine is revved

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Charging indicator Reply with quote

Definitely a larger stock crankshaft pulley. Does it measure 7" across?

You really need to get the stock air cleaner, it will be better for the engine.

Missing the heat riser tins with their seals, need those to keep the engine cooler.

Hopefully you have all the tins underneath and up front of the shroud if that is a dog house unit.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Charging indicator Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
Not a problem, with an alternator vs generator they all do that.

X2
What you describe is normal with an alternator
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: