Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Winston's Cigarette Lighter: The Horror
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's already mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I put on a Eurovan lighter socket I got from the junkyard and am very happy with it. Same external appearance as the Vanagon unit, except black instead of chrome trim. Same green light ring which is nice. It is deeper than the Vanagon unit and it holds much better.

-Rob
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Pretty sure it's already mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I put on a Eurovan lighter socket I got from the junkyard and am very happy with it. Same external appearance as the Vanagon unit, except black instead of chrome trim. Same green light ring which is nice. It is deeper than the Vanagon unit and it holds much better.

-Rob

Hey Rob, I think you mentioned that the EV unit has the same wiring plug as the vanagon. Can you confirm that? The one I bought from GOwesty is different.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been awhile but I'm almost positive you just plug it into the factory connector. I just went outside and felt behind the dash with my hand and it feels like the factory connector with no splicing involved. The Eurovan I pulled it from was a 93 or 94.

-Rob
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to give a +1 on the west marine style 12v socket. Mounts up easily, and it's robust. Threaded-ring-type mounting ring on the back is nice because it's easy to snug up if the socket loosens off down the road. I slathered the threads on mine with silicone caulking to help stave off any loosening-off.

I never saw this thread when I was struggling with removing the stock socket, and in the end I broke it to pieces with some pliers and chucked it in the bin with a spiteful grin. The nefarious thing really got on my nerves.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v outlets Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I bought this one at a West Marine for $20.00. Black; it has a shoulder ring on the outside of the dash and a screw-on retaining ring on the inside. Clean and simple.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/electrical/mar-12vrc.jpg

I bought that same one through small car a while back, for use in the rear of the van. I didn't see any at west marine when I was there, nor could I find it on the website. The other persons link seems to be bad, do they no longer carry them?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have them, search for marinco on their website.
You can find them on ebay for less with the same search
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: cigarette lighter Reply with quote

I used a pair of o-ring pliers to push in the plastic pins, lighter came out in 1 minute.

http://www.avalonheadshop.com/products/kannastor.htm
unclebrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!

I got the cigar lighter socket out with out breaking it. Woo Hoo.....

What a MAJOR PITA it is though.

I will share with you the mystery now. You need to do as shown in the pictures that follow:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

THANK YOU!!!!
That illustration showing the tabs that have to be pushed from the inside saved me countless hours of frustration! Still not the easiest of jobs, but that was the secret.
I had managed to get the whole thing halfway out, but ended up pushing it all back in and then tackling the green inner tabs.
No O-ring pliers but I used two tiny screwdrivers and got them between the green tabs and the metal body and gave it a little tweak, bending the metal, or maybe the plastic, out slightly so that the tabs could get past. Viola! the green plastic piece came free! Not as elegant as o-ring pliers (that was genius) but it did the trick.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Winston's Cigarette Lighter: The Horror Reply with quote

GoWesty has a How-To video on YouTube now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RqXjXs7w0o
ChrisandGabrielle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Winston's Cigarette Lighter: The Horror Reply with quote

Our 91 has had a loose plug forever. I wrapped a rubber band around it several times mostly behind the green ring and it tightened right up and the gps plug is tight now. Cost: 1 bunch of broccoli for a good rubber band.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Winston's Cigarette Lighter: The Horror Reply with quote

ChrisandGabrielle wrote:
Our 91 has had a loose plug forever. I wrapped a rubber band around it several times mostly behind the green ring and it tightened right up and the gps plug is tight now. Cost: 1 bunch of broccoli for a good rubber band.

Oh man, back to the grocery store for you. There are a dozen threads here showing that only asparagus rubber bands must be used. The iron absorbed by the broccoli rubber bands will cause an electrical short.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Winston's Cigarette Lighter: The Horror Reply with quote

Installing a west marine 12v socket in place of the stock lighter socket was one of the first things I did back in 2012 when we bought the van, along with a stereo upgrade.

Couldn't figure out how to pull the non-working stock one, so wound up basically mashing it down with some vise-grips until it was able to fit through.

Never looked back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: