Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assistance on installation of engine pulley - found something
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Assistance on installation of engine pulley - found something Reply with quote

So, my original engine had the engine pulley mounted with just a rubber O ring behind it. My spare engine had a thin metal shim-like spacer behind that, which seemed to function as a shield to hold the rubber O ring from hitting the block itsel.

As usual, the Bentley is silent on this feature. Has anyone else found this arrangement behind their pulley? The Bentley even shows no O ring behind the pulley but the rear surface of the pulley seems set up to engage an O ring.

Thanks,

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Assistance on installation of engine pulley - found something Reply with quote

The Oring is used with Power Steering or A/C optioned engines.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Assistance on installation of engine pulley - found something Reply with quote

So, any input on the metal shim/plate like thing mine also had? And can anyone point to a Bentley page where they mention the O ring for PS/AC cars? Very puzzling.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Assistance on installation of engine pulley - found something Reply with quote

Are you referring to the metal "washer" that gets installed on the crank shaft behind the woodruff key? This has been on all the water boxers I have worked on. It functions as a seat for the oring. It is reminiscent of the oil slinger in type 1 engines but does not function as one as far as I know.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Assistance on installation of engine pulley - found something Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!! ding ding ding. OK. All I needed was reassurance that thing is supposed to be there and you described it and let me know you've seen them as well. Nowhere in the bentley. I've got it installed exactly like I found it. The last thing I wanted to do was reinstall some PO's misguided attempt to thwart a leak or something only to find out it sits in there and clicks and rings while the engine is running later. Thank you so much for chiming in. Literally heading out and by the time you read this the pulley will be bolted on.

Doug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: