Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: How many? Reply with quote

I dont know if this has been posted before but how many Split Busses does everybody have in their town that are being driven? Here in Jacksonville NC i have seen only 1 panel and the guy hasnt driven it for a while. I got my 67 Deluxe but it is not driving yet. That will be in a couple of weeks.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where i live i usually see one or two on the road continously, but there is probabally 12 or more in town. Those are driven "rarely" Red Bus
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a couple towns depending on the season. in moscow, idaho there are a couple splitties that drive around very occasionally. in boise, idaho there are about 40 splitties that drive around. in the summer, I see at least one other splittie on the road almost every day (other than the one that I am driving in)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only splits I see on the road here are mine, or occasionally people going to the lake/forest not far from my house. There are a couple people with project/parts splits, and there are at least 3 others that run and drive, but I have never seen them on the road.
kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 2 on the road in this city of 700,000....
DownRiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows don't count.....

I have seen only 1 other split on the road in my area ever. The 1 was Minton's single over a year and a half ago, 20 miles from home.

east coast.
Busamov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: How many? Reply with quote

I have yet to see another split here in southeastern michigan except mine. You would think that being close to ann arbor where all the hippies are there would be more splittys on the road! After I sell mine The only time that there will be one visible on the road will most likely be due to a vw or car show.
Busamove
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont even get any shows around here.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive mine whenever possible except during salt season here in Michigan. I agree with Marguerite. You'd think you see more on the road. I only know of mine and a single cab. The deluxe will be on the road in the spring, that's 3.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the Charlotte area, there are 30 something that are in fixable or driving condition that I know of and more poping up here and there every so often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferris wrote:
Shows don't count.....

I have seen only 1 other split on the road in my area ever. The 1 was Minton's single over a year and a half ago, 20 miles from home.

east coast.

FERRIS,
Was I over there in NJ. or were you here in PA.? I live about 10 minutes from Trenton, so I drive up river road overhere up past newhope & come back down 29 to washingtons crossing every now & then, it's a nice ride. I also go to the great adventure outlet mall thing for the VANS outlet store. Not to mention the beach in the summer, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH SUMMER Very Happy

The busses that were around me moved to texas I belive, but I have seen a red & white deluxe(looks like a show bus) twice at a hobby shop up the road from my house, but I don't know who's it is. I heard there is another single cab around me, but it's not running, I know of 2 other busses sitting. one is rotting away & the other has been sitting for a few years in a garage almost fininshed. UZI is out there in Philly, so I never see him. To tell you the truth, I think I'm the only one around me that uses their split for an everyday car.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for show days, I have only seen two and only one of them on a semi-regular basis: a green standard or kombi on my way home from work as I get on the freeway and localboyMark's Westy.

There must be at least a dozen or more semi-daily drives in the Seattle area, so where are you guys? Very Happy

I propose a "drive your bus to work day," like the third Friday of every month? Just a thought.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than me driving mine on nice days, I see 2 other guys in my small town that drive splits. One guy has a fully restored 1963 panel (and a few other really nice original paint vw's) and the other guy drives a decent 65 singlecab. In the area I live in (southeast of Charlotte NC) I've only see 1 other split on the road who I didn't know.
And just yesterday I found a running/driving and somewhat rusty 61 doubledoor panel for sale for $1000.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've lived in philadelphia 16 years. i can only think of four early buses i've seen on the road that whole time.

other people tell me they see a bunch of different ones. it's been me everytime. i always say 'oh, that's cool you saw a bus, lemme know if you see any more"

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewM wrote:
Other than me driving mine on nice days, I see 2 other guys in my small town that drive splits. One guy has a fully restored 1963 panel (and a few other really nice original paint vw's) and the other guy drives a decent 65 singlecab. In the area I live in (southeast of Charlotte NC) I've only see 1 other split on the road who I didn't know.
And just yesterday I found a running/driving and somewhat rusty 61 doubledoor panel for sale for $1000.

you gonna buy that panel?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BryanM wrote:
AndrewM wrote:

you gonna buy that panel?

Yes sir, buy that puppy up Very Happy
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might buy it, I'm not sure yet. It looks like rusbus's old westy (same faded out red and rust) but it is a panel. It has early smaller sundial windows in it, but they kinda fit with the overall look of the bus. Nose has been hit, but it would make a nice shit roller like that guy out west with the bus with the checkerboard front.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Population 4000, and I'm the only one that I know of in my town with a split bus. Michigan is tough, this is the motor city country for american steel. I saw one driving last summer in a vacation town 1 hr north of my town (Caseville, MI awsome beaches on the lake). I believe this is the bus here. Guess I may not see it next year. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Bus-Vana...3552QQrdZ1
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rough guess? 500 splitties in san diego running around.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two, one is a dude who has a 65 DC that is 3 miles from me and another is a kid with a '67 standard I see every now and then.
My Dad drives an 18 wheeler locally and tells me when he sees one, usually once a week or two.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: