Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ECU Tester: What's it worth?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike yapps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: ECU Tester: What's it worth? Reply with quote

I have a VW 1218 ECU tester and was wondering what it may be worth if anything. I'm not sure if it works and not sure how to test it without having something to test. Let me hear some imput. It's just like the one in the link below.
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/testers.htm#vw1218
I figure the t3 owners out there would know.
Mike
66 Bug
81 Caddy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want? I might be willing to buy a pig in a poke, if the price is right.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike yapps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mainly trying to find out the value of this thing. I don't know what it is worth, that's why I'm askin'. If a price sounds good I may sell it.
Mike
66 Bug
81 Caddy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine was free -- there you go: give it to Russ

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one for $5, another for $50 (I think), and another for $150. The $5 I gave to the DDB. I know they all work because they all gave the same results on a couple guinea pigs Cool So prices are all over the board. If condition is unknown then it's worth $0 to $50 tops.
The First Invasion
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was free as well, got it from Blankmange who got it from someone else for cheap or free.
Samba Member #4862
bugginmiami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: tester Reply with quote

saw one at our show last year for sale for $50.. i didnt buy it... the dude that did, put it on the bay and got 150 for it.. so you never know.. they apparently work for 914s too and it was a 914 guy that bought it, at least that one.

johnnypan wrote:
Never mess with a cat who smiles for his mug shot..he gives way less of a fuck than you do..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike yapps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I wanted to know. So I guess it's either nothing or up to $150. Guess it's like anything else, It all depends on whose buying and what they're willing to pay.
Mike
66 Bug
81 Caddy
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if it works...

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike yapps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... and that too.
alex608
Fat Chick T3s Rule

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got a EFAW193 at a swap meet today at a fair price and am going to plug my square into it in the morning. Turns out the test procedure is printed in the bently for my tester..

'71 FI square...The daily driver

" At times It is better for one to keep his mouth shut and be thought of as a fool...

Than to open his mouth and erase all doubts..."
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to play with for actually checking ECU functions in order....but other than that....and liking to have a cool piece of trivia....you can do more and better with a digital volt meter. Totally uncessary in this day and age to work on D-jet. Nice collectible though!
That limits the technical value to just above $8...(the cheapest I have found a digital volt meter that will do fine for D-jet). On the other hand the collectors value is limited only to what someone who really wants to collect one is willing to pay for it.Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a small exception, those testers do no more than you can do with a VOM. They were made to save dealers time (money) not to do more sophisticated diagnosis. In about 30 minutes the dealer can run thorough tests of all wires and sensors, and a small portion of the ECU circuits. Done manually with a VOM, it would be about 2 hours. Unimportant for the backyad mechanic, but a moneymaker for the dealer. They cost about $5K new. Saving 90 minutes at $20/hour (with overhead) paid back in about 250 tests, which was probably less than two years of work. It also saved training costs since it was a "cookbook" process requiring little actual understanding of the system.

But I think they are cool anyway!
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex's swap meet score was a pretty clean looking unit, cool to have around.

Nice to meet you yesterday, Alex.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in a schematic of the unit... a great learning experience. But I don't want to risk ruining it to make one.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do test a E.C.U. by itself with a volt meter? Confused

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one we used back when I was at the dealers. It made it fairly simple to adjust the MPS. Along with an exhaust gas analyzer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sold one of these recently to a person in Europe. Seeing as how the Europeans never go the FI on their cars, I can only assume that buyer had an American version car.

I personally have the 1218 tester. It works pretty good, and will tell you pretty quick what part of the system the trouble is in, and where to use your VOM.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

You don't. The 1218 can test a few of the circuits, but not comprehensively. But the fact is, if it runs at all, the ECU is probably fine.

You test the wires and sensors with a VOM, though. That's all the VW and Bosch testers do. They just automate it.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

You don't. The 1218 can test a few of the circuits, but not comprehensively. But the fact is, if it runs at all, the ECU is probably fine.

You test the wires and sensors with a VOM, though. That's all the VW and Bosch testers do. They just automate it.

The P.O. of Mr. P cut most of the harness wires, but left everything else in its place. So, now she has an E.C.U. that needs to be tested, to derive whether it is usable.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

The P.O. of Mr. P cut most of the harness wires, but left everything else in its place. So, now she has an E.C.U. that needs to be tested, to derive whether it is usable.

I've got a 1218 Tester.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: