Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

low oil pressure -- slow warmup
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: low oil pressure -- slow warmup Reply with quote

I think I may have apotential issue with my new motor (1200 miles to date).

Symptoms:

- on cold start oil pressure starts at about 45 psi while driving. When the motor is hot it goes down to 25 psi while driving at 2500ish RPM and very low at idle.
- I have an Autometer electric temp gauge and it shows the car is between 150 and 180F when hot. It takes incredibly long (15min+) to get to those temperatures on a 50-60F ambient day. I haven't cross checked the autometer with one of fancy multimeters with thermocouple from work, but I think it might be correct.

Background:
I full-flowed my original DP case with external filter when I built it to a 1776. I got a new stock-size pump, being told that too much psi could overheat engine. I'm running 10W40 dino.

I have some guesses, but what do you all think? Trouble? No worries?

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops I meant to post this in the engines/performance section....Could one of you moderators move it

Thanks,

jos

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: