Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

jack it up!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: jack it up! Reply with quote

how do i want to put the bus on jack stands? i know i can up two on the front beam but where should i put the two rear ones? on the rear axels? and how can i jack up the whole rear of the bus without using 2 jacks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want to put your jackstands on the rear torsion bar tube. on either side. if you have only one jack you can put a large , thick board accross the underside of the rear frame, in front of the tube, and jack it up. be sure to block the front wheels

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a high lift suv jack and just jack it up close to the center of the torsion tube, and place the stands as stated above. i've never used more than one jack. you're not talking about a stock jack are you?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, sweep up your floor.

then, jack up the back of the bus first with a good floor jack and put the jack stands on the torsion tube. then jack up the front of the bus from the front making sure that your jack actually rolls on the garage floor as it lifts (otherwise, it can pull the bus off of the jackstands.) then put one jackstand anywhere on the front beam. (you can put two jackstands in the front, but the beam will only sit down on one of them and the other will have no weight on it.) then when you are taking it down, take the front down first and then the back. don't take shortcuts. make sure that you use a decent floor jack, because a cheap little one will not lift your bus high enough to get the wheels off of the ground. if you don't have a real floor jack, then save your money and get real tools before working on your bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: