Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thing body lift kit Q's
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardifrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: thing body lift kit Q's Reply with quote

just purchased a 3'' body lift kit for my 73 thing has anybody had any special trouble installing this kit. thanks PJ
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one item I constantly read about is sealing around the engine tin in the engine compartment once it is dropped. I don't have any solutions, but it is something to research.
Mark
ThingDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread might help a bit, PJ.. Do a search on body lifts...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105910&highlight=body+lift
UncleDirty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob, next time your down at Savages, load up a few T Mag lifts, Laughing or is that stuff all gone now that he is a big time Trophy Truck Builder. Cool
ThingDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage is definitely a man of few words. I can get Ivan and Dave going, but Bill, not so good... He's got all kinds of goodies down there. The new Baldwin truck they just delivered did purty good at Laughlin...

I took him a trash bag full of once fired AA hulls. He's a big time skeet shooter. I think I got him to smile!

Those boys have some super sweet equipment in that shop! Last time I was down there they had one of the Herbst's CORR 1600 buggies in there for repairs. The boys can still build a mean VW when they want to...

Ivan was over here last week. I told him to quit looking at my Thing. Didn't want him to steal all my good ideas... Rolling Eyes He did drink most of my beers though.
UncleDirty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still my favorite Savage built truck. Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ThingDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That man has built up some sweet vehicles, that's for sure. The single cab is super cool. I wonder what ever happened to it?..
mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all the way back to jan of 2006 looking back further and I have seen sooooo many people ask for pictures or help after doing a body lift to seal around the engine and for someone to post some pics I have not seen a reply or one pic I will keep looking I think the forums go back to mid 2004 if anyone can help me with this I would be gratefull but if I get it I will repost it so it will be back at the top in the search option

http://w2.wolfsburgii.com/downloads.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Thing Body Lift Reply with quote

I have one still in the box. Hope to install in next month. Gotta finish some paint work on underside of body.

as far as lift if you have not read or thought.....you will need to

make sure electrical main harness has enough slack when raising. Mine is 74 so I am not familar if 73 has same harness attachment along tunnel.
lengthen brake reservoir lines
raise front seat bases
either notch framehead wall or install a ujoint system in the steering shaft

engine bay seal, I have heard mixed opinions as to whether one needs to make sheetmetal to seal or just leave gap.

I believe that is all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not scared of the lift ziggy at all I am gonna make my own out of square or rectangle tubing as I can get as much as I need from work the reason I posted this is for the engine compartment but I made sure to sit here and miss the first football game searching before I posted anything that way someone just couldn't type do a search know what I mean I've done that so all I need now is a pic of someone elses or some info on what someone else has done cause I don't know. and I seen a couple of your previous post shot down to the go search thing also so maybe we keep this old thread alive some one will post so we can search and actually find what we are searching for but thanks for the reply and keep up the good work on yours those new pans look great. Also I was looking on craigslist around your area and someone has high back superbettle seats for sale for 15 dollars each they are not that bad looking either

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Thing Body lift Reply with quote

I am resizing some pics that I have gathered regarding body lifts. I will get together and post here as a reply.

great price on buckets. I paid $75 a couple weeks back. Before I had some lined up for $30. I could never get a committment from the other party to meet. Had another lead from local shop whpo quoted $80 for pair. I went to go pick up and price jumped to $125 with a line of how they are getting harder to come by. I left there and remembered an old VW /import junkyard I had visited 3 yrs earlier. They had them no problem for the $75. But $15, outstanding.

ok will get pics posted shortly.

ps, mrafindley, definitely was not intending to take any shot or be judgemental. as for the lift, mine is 1 1/2 x 3" stock. I did buy from Up Yer Bug now Andy's automotive. The one area needing xtra thought is the frame head. This area is not actually 3" as you go up the sides of the frame head. I have seen folks make a template and use flat plate to make this area. Up Yer Bug uses a cast aluminum pc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: body lift Reply with quote

OK, here are some pics I had compiled from this site and others. hopefully they can shed some light. I know I collected them for that very reason.

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: body lift Reply with quote

couple examples of steering fixes

Last edited by 63ziggy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: body lifts Reply with quote

couple rides, one in red/brown primer I believe is Saddlesores.

bornred62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: body lift Reply with quote

Hey Guys Ive talked to a couple of different people about maybe I have not explained it well enough. I will try to post some pictures at the end of my explanation. Yes the engine sets 3" lower on my thing with a 3" lift All of the original sheet metal stays in the same place. I cut a 3 1/4" filler
I removed the the grove that the gasket goes in and bolted the filler in place.Around that at the engine seal area I put roll bar padding around
the sheet metal and it makes a great seal. On the back peice I cut a spacer with the same contour of the raer plate bolted it to the rear plate
and it goes against the seal at the back of the engine bay. Just like the origanal one did. If anyone needs moore help or theres something you dont understand send me an e-mail and Ill send you my phone#. Will try to post picts in gallery section. I can build a car but cant figure out this dam computer[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right the brown one is mine. To address your original question about problems. Get yourself a good reamer. Very few of the holes that are in the lift line up with the body. I was lucky and no holes in the pan because I replaced them, but the holes in the body are set and you will have to elongate the holes in the lift to fit. Also throw away the bolts in the kit and buy Grade 5 bolts. The other will just strip trying to get them alighed. It is expensive but worth it in the long run. Lastly use a good amount of black or clear silicone between the upper and lower part of the kit. This will stop squeaks and make it more water tight. I opted' for a different steering set up than the kits (with the knuckles) and re welded and the firewall to fit. Looking back I should have taken the easy way out and used the kit.

Good luck.

Saddlesore
mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Body lift Reply with quote

63ziggy wrote:
ps, mrafindley, definitely was not intending to take any shot or be judgemental.

I wouldn't think that in a million years ziggy you are one of the ones whos response is always helpfull not just "do a search" like they say we can build cars but can't get the hang of computers. other people do the computer thing read and read and prolly can't strike a torch not poking fun at anyone it just seems that when a man or woman (lisao) can be out in their shop/garage all day have an idea and are tired and ready for bed have an idea post it before bed hoping other builders would come in sit down read the post for the day and when they get up in the morning they have ideas in the replys not just "do a search" you know what I did was sit down and read every post with all the replys while it was below zero outside and there are alot of post done over and over and I know it gets old but you know what you don't have to answer if you don't want to just hit the back button and go on. I have tryed that damn search button i typed in engine compartment and body lift both and I had to read longer that way. Every post 8 pages that came up and it didn't even pertain to what I was looking for so I guess for us people that have to rely on the search button are screwed but I thought we were all here to help each other sure other people have already finished there cars and they are prolly worth a good amount of money but there are others that have just started and need help or suggestions if you will. pictures help alot. It is not like working on a 07 chevy that you see everyday that you can just find someone close by that has one to look at. or a magazine that has a shit load in there to look at either. well off my soap box thanks a million for the pics you guys posted gave alot of ideas but there has to be away to get the engine and transaxle up those three inches so they don't look so damn bad. The lifts look awsome but the engine has got to raise up a little some how

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: body lift Reply with quote

I really enjoy the site. However when I search, I get all kind of results and generally not narrowed down to my specific topic. Maybe I am technically challenged there.

Here is an example of what some of the Volksrod guys are doing. Of course this is done to lower the rear of their cars. I have not put a whole lot of thought behind it. I guess longer arms, fully sprung suspension inconjunction could work for raised engine and tranny. Definitely a lot of work involved but can be done.

mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see that is exactly what I was thing about doing but I was worried about the shift rod e brake cable and the rear tires still fitting nice under the fenders and lining up with the front tires

63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: body lift Reply with quote

Bornred posted a couple engine pics in the gallery. here they are. looks clean
nice job.

Thanks bornred

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: