Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Save your Door panels!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Save your Door panels! Reply with quote

Probably a no-brainer, but you get in a hurry had to rip that window regulator out and put it back in. Didn't have time to get a proper door seal on between the panel and the outside elements. Well, you door panel will go right to hell the 1st time it rains, I promise.
If your panels are aftermarket TMI or some crap like that they'll warp right before your eyes and start to disintegtrate, original panels are sturdier.
Simple solution for $7. And its easy.
A little bead of glue (I used spray adhesive) around the door and apply the weather=proof clear plastic available at any hardware store. Use a hair dryer to tighten it up.
And it has a great "R" value = good insulation.
Just thought I'd pass it along.
Bob O
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion. Also - if you have speakers in your doors, leave enough slack in the plastic to protect them, too.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Good suggestion. Also - if you have speakers in your doors, leave enough slack in the plastic to protect them, too.

There are plastic enclosures also to protect the speaker and enhance sound quality which fit inside the door. Razz
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Save your Door panels! Reply with quote

Bub wrote:

If your panels are aftermarket TMI or some crap like that they'll warp right before your eyes and start to disintegtrate, original panels are sturdier.

Nice bus Bub. I like the way the paint is continuous from outside to inside.
I have the TMI Disappearing Door Panels Just Add Water, and did a 3 mil vapor barrier and I used a can of silicone shoe leather protectant spray on the back of the panel itself. Panel still wants to disintegrate just thinking about rain.
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: