Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bredmon98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve Reply with quote

Hi all, I know I'm about 12 years late responding to this, but I ran into the same problem while attempting to do my first waterboxer rebuild. If you cannot pry the sleeves off when you first take off the heads, don't bother pulling and prying on those ears and risking knicking your head gasket surface. Here's what you do:

Take off the heads with the stuck sleeves. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Bake the head for 30 minutes. When you take it back out, throw ice in the cylinders and bang on it with a deadblow hammer. THEY WILL COME OUT, I PROMISE.

Cheers,

-- Brent
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve Reply with quote

The trick to this is convincing the Mrs. that baking your engine parts in her oven is a GOOD thing! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bredmon98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve Reply with quote

Ixnay on what I said! If you're going to bake your heads, bake them at like 190 degrees F (aka: operating temp) I baked mine too hot and they CRACKED! Doh! Set me back about $1000
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve Reply with quote

Ouch! Very, very kind of you to check back in and update that. Thanks.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve Reply with quote

I've been working on this the last few days. I had one cylinder sleeve stuck to each head, and one that was free almost immediately. I had the advantage of time, and kept spraying them with PBlaster, while prying, twisting, tapping,etc several times a day. As is often the case, patience and determination paid off.
Then I was able to replace the lower cylinder o rings without removing the cylinder sleeves, following the suggestions of the BenPlace video:

http://benplace.com/pistons_heads_video.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirtfitzpatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve Reply with quote

I came up with this trick after three days of trying everything to get a stuck cylinder off the head. Worked a treat. Cylinder popped off like it was nothing and it protects the head at the same time.

Two flathead screw drivers, one big, one normal, at right angles. Use the small one as a fulcrum for the big one as close to the cylinder tab as you can get it. It increases the leverage 3x to 5x compared to a pry bar or using the edge of the head as a fulcrum.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I made a video on how to do it too:

Link

iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head removal/stuck cylinder sleeve Reply with quote

Great video -- thanks for sharing / contributing that!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: