Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whiteline Automotive anti-sway bars
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
You definately want the 488... Everything is identical.

Good to know, thanks. I'll be ordering up a set tomorrow.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap. I have been off of the list for a while. I ordered a rear sway bar from Performance Center on 12/22/2006 and just realized I have the wrong bar. I wonder if they will do anything after nearly a year has passed. Has anyone had to deal with returning something to them? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight days between the phone call and parts in my garage. $377 for both including shipping to AK, not bad, but it should be noted that one email mentions a discount without saying what or why. The hardware kit for the front has both the "tabbed" brackets that are failing miserably and also a set of two-bolt brackets of the same size formed to keep the bushing in place. Lucky? Or are they listening? I did mention this site and thread when ordering but only to get the rear bar straightened out, never talked at all about the front brackets as I figured they were easy enough to come up with after the fact.
coolwind57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stock dogbone end link...they must be structurally weak or maybe this is just coincidental, but I've seen two Vanagons in my life: one about 1-hour from me, and the second being my recently bought Vanagon. Both had one broken dog bone end link.

I've ordered the Whiteline front sway bar from aircooled. It looks better than the other one to me.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolwind57 wrote:
That stock dogbone end link...they must be structurally weak or maybe this is just coincidental, but I've seen two Vanagons in my life: one about 1-hour from me, and the second being my recently bought Vanagon. Both had one broken dog bone end link.

I think it is more of a design flaw. The link "necks down" severely right at the point where much of the corrosion occurs. This necked down area has a sharp 90º transition which is ripe for creating stress cracks. The corrosion that sets in in that same area (due to trapping water between the bushings and the link) dramatically increases the chances of the ink breaking in that area.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
coolwind57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I know what you mean about the corrosion... Wink I gave up trying to get the end links out of the lower control arm. It's stuck in there. I'm getting my two driver's side ball joints replaced here in a couple days and I'm going to ask the local garage to just go ahead and remove the end links for me. They've got better tools for this kind of thing than I do.

Getting new tires at the same time too -- I went with 195R14 Hankooks. Man, I should be feeling like I'm in a different van with all this suspension work getting done.
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be lucky. I ordered my Addco bars about two years ago from Performance Center. Took about three weeks for delivery. Installation was a breeze, except I think I needed two extra washers. No problems with the bars to speak of, and the handling improved tremendously. A grease fitting on the bushings would be handy--if they get dry, the van will sound like a creaky box spring.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Addco rear bars Reply with quote

Before I send the 354 bars I got back, I thought I would share a picture of the two rear Addcos together. The bigger is the 488 which seems to fit best, I am told.

354 vs 488:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
coolwind57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get my Whiteline's on ok. They fit terribly and I had issues with rubbing...until I figured out that they were on upside down! Don't be a dope like me and assume that the decal will read right side up when you're installing them. Make sure the sticker is upside down (I know...it's idiotic).

Now that they're installed correctly, its all good.
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about this upgrade for a while and I thank everyone here for their valuable input. I just ordered Whiteline for the front and Addco for the rear and GW 1.5" HR lift springs. I've already replaced every other suspension part front and rear so this should really make up for a complete package. I'll make sure to take measurements/photos and post results after I'm done.

Thanks again.

Ken.
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Whiteline front sway bar from aircooled.net. I finally got around to installing it this past weekend and I am completely blown away by what a difference it makes. Granted I've been driving around with a broken sway bar for the past year and a half and I replaced my wornout generic rear shocks with Blistens at the same time but I do feel like I'm driving a completely different vehicle. I can't say for certain that the Whiteline was what made the most difference by I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Now I just need to get a set of Blistens for the front and I'll be rolling in style.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonforever wrote:
I recently bought a Whiteline front sway bar from aircooled.net. I finally got around to installing it this past weekend and I am completely blown away by what a difference it makes. Granted I've been driving around with a broken sway bar for the past year and a half and I replaced my wornout generic rear shocks with Blistens at the same time but I do feel like I'm driving a completely different vehicle. I can't say for certain that the Whiteline was what made the most difference by I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Now I just need to get a set of Blistens for the front and I'll be rolling in style.

did you feel that upgrading the front would be even better than adding one to the back where there is none currently? (or did you already add one to the rear in the past?)
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put Whiteline bars on our 83.5 Westy. The front went on first and made a noticeable difference. With the additional rear the cornering improved even more. You really notice the rear further into the curve or when you are pushing it more. I didn't notice any reduction in ride quality when going straight.

I would recommend them. Even if you don't plan to autocross your Westy, they just might save your bacon if you had to do emergency maneuver out on the road.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doyll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you JPato.
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolwind57 wrote:
I did get my Whiteline's on ok. They fit terribly and I had issues with rubbing...until I figured out that they were on upside down! Don't be a dope like me and assume that the decal will read right side up when you're installing them. Make sure the sticker is upside down (I know...it's idiotic).

Now that they're installed correctly, its all good.

What rubbing issues did you run into? I'm having a problem with rubbing/binding on the end links when I turn the wheels to the extreme left and extreme right.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of bars from Jeg's and they had the front bar, I think it's a 719, listed as a rear bar and it had the 354 listed to fit the rear of the early vans. Everyone on here says the 488 fits the rear of all years.

And they are back ordered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you definitely need the 719 for the front and 488 for the rear, regardless of the year of your Vanagon. The 354 doesn't seem to fit anything.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good source for the Whiteline front sway bar for Vanagon? Aircooled.net sold out of them last week. I'm rebuilding my front end and would like an upgrade. Are there any other bars being sold that would also work other than the Addco? Thanks!
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Zombie thread!!!

Thread from the Dead, revived!

Yes it's old, but there is a lot of info in this, and some it may need an update.

Here's my recent experience with Addco.

I just ordered the front swaybar, model 719, from shox.com.
Cost was $169 plus $21 shipping from Socal, $190 total.
I got it in 3 days after ordering, no problems there.

Here is a a photo of the hardware that came with the kit.
It appears I got both types of brackets, the evil one with a tab and the mo'bettah 2 hole model.
I also see 4 washers.

I have not yet installed this, but I wanted people to see what sort of hardware improvements apparently have been made by Addco since this thread was last a hot topic.

Overall, fast shipping of an in-stock product, fair price, and what seems to be complete hardware.

Cheers,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Another Zombie thread!!!

Thread from the Dead, revived!

Yes it's old, but there is a lot of info in this, and some it may need an update.

Here's my recent experience with Addco.

I just ordered the front swaybar, model 719, from shox.com.
Cost was $169 plus $21 shipping from Socal, $190 total.
I got it in 3 days after ordering, no problems there.

Here is a a photo of the hardware that came with the kit.
It appears I got both types of brackets, the evil one with a tab and the mo'bettah 2 hole model.
I also see 4 washers.

I have not yet installed this, but I wanted people to see what sort of hardware improvements apparently have been made by Addco since this thread was last a hot topic.

Overall, fast shipping of an in-stock product, fair price, and what seems to be complete hardware.

Cheers,
CJ

Sweet!
Now ditch those bushings for Powerflex and you are in business.

dylan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: