Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Bad and Ugly (Worst Home Repairs to a VW bus)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_zach
Avenged Bay Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 71, the right rear quarter panel was tottaly rusted out, so they put about a 1/4 inch of bondo over it, it is a pain in the butt.

Fat chicks need love too...they just have to PAY!-Glen Quagmire
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now how the heck do you get that eating popcorn emoticon?

This should be a sticky.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_zach wrote:
On my 71, the right rear quarter panel was tottaly rusted out, so they put about a 1/4 inch of bondo over it, it is a pain in the butt.

Doing my own hack job, my 73 right rear corner is rusted out especially by the light, The left side is basically the same shape (big rectagular light) so i cut the left one (metal around the light hole) off of a junk bus and am going to turn it upside down for the right side....

I think Jesse James said something about this subject on Monster Garage (those VW people can be cheap ba**ards) or something to that end on the "Sour Kraut" episode

Last edited by Tri-Bus on Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I admit I've done one or more of these myself. But it's still fun to read.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed my gauges i used wire meant for underground sprinklers (4 wires used on 24v systems) thought the exterior sheathing covering all 4 wires would help protect ir under the bus. so far so good
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
Hippopotabus wrote:
I once had to rerig my accelorator cable with a coat hanger.

A friend of mine, upon having his accelerator cable break on his Beetle, ran a length of string from the throttle linkage, looped it under the intake manifold for leverage, out the engine lid vents and around the side of the car to the driver's window. He then proceeded to drive home (not far, thankfully) by hanging his arm out the window and pulling on the string. He steered with his knees while shifting. Shocked

1990, Lancaster, PA, 6 hours from home, broken accelerator cable. We pulled the speaker wire,tied it to the throttle, propped the hatch open, my brother stayed in the back barely holding the back hatch open and we ran it through the middle of the bus. My buddy drove and operated "gas" by hand while I shifted for him in the passenger seat. Took us 9 hours because we had to keep stopping to reattach the wire, but we made it. The scariest part was in the right lane on the Verrazano Bridge trying to fix the wire while cars are whizzing past us.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A friend of mine, upon having his accelerator cable break on his Beetle, ran a length of string from the throttle linkage, looped it under the intake manifold for leverage, out the engine lid vents and around the side of the car to the driver's window. He then proceeded to drive home (not far, thankfully) by hanging his arm out the window and pulling on the string. He steered with his knees while shifting

Shocked DAMN THATS HARDCORE!!!!!!!

Road warrior worthy

edit -
Quote:
The scariest part was in the right lane on the Verrazano Bridge trying to fix the wire while cars are whizzing past us.

Now thats a pretty scary situation and a close 2nd. I'm sure those NY'rs where very considerate in moving way over not to get to close Wink
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to check out a "cherry 71 double cab" for an out-of-state friend. It fell somewhat short of the description, as it turned out to be a 68, with massive front end rust. The PO had blown spray can urethane insulating foam into the lower front end rust cavern, shaped the foam to the bus's contours, layed on a thin layer of sandable filler, then painted it!

The giveaway was when I looked on the inside by the headlights & saw urethane foam bits; PO had forgotten to paint on the inside, behind the front liner panel. Needless to say I bought the d.c. for about half of what the sshocked then-owner wanted.

Front end replaced, re-painted & finished up, it looks & runs great today (and may even be up for sale this summer).

J.R.
68 Westy
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlatherow wrote:
BryanM remembers - he tried to get it going once before realizing it's horrible soul-sucking evil.

BryanM trying to save a baywindow????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigLoaf wrote:
How about a big toggle switch and pushbutton on the dashboard to make up for a broken ignition switch? Yeesh, talk about an easy bus to steal. Oh, this isn't a bus, but it's pretty good. After I bought my Civic, I decided to figure out why the front speakers weren't working. I found that the speakers had been replaced by tweeters that had been held in place by being stuffed inside a couple of big socks stuffed into the door. Rolling Eyes

hey now i was proud of the toggle switch/ push button ignition i made for my bug... but there was also courtesy of the PO,a toggle switch installed for the wipers and an identical push button for the horn!
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
BigLoaf wrote:
How about a big toggle switch and pushbutton on the dashboard to make up for a broken ignition switch? Yeesh, talk about an easy bus to steal. Oh, this isn't a bus, but it's pretty good. After I bought my Civic, I decided to figure out why the front speakers weren't working. I found that the speakers had been replaced by tweeters that had been held in place by being stuffed inside a couple of big socks stuffed into the door. Rolling Eyes

hey now i was proud of the toggle switch/ push button ignition i made for my bug... but there was also courtesy of the PO,a toggle switch installed for the wipers and an identical push button for the horn!

I have a starter button that i use to make the windshield washer motor work (something i rigged up with autozone parts).

An extra dome light switch turns the fan on for the heater( original "switch" on the lever and wiring was baked) going to hook it to relay next time i pull the engine (soon)

A VW team with a triathlon problem, or something like that....
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
rjlatherow wrote:
BryanM remembers - he tried to get it going once before realizing it's horrible soul-sucking evil.

BryanM trying to save a baywindow????

LOL,
yes, its true. I even had a hand in the resurection of your bus.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippopotabus wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine, upon having his accelerator cable break on his Beetle, ran a length of string from the throttle linkage, looped it under the intake manifold for leverage, out the engine lid vents and around the side of the car to the driver's window. He then proceeded to drive home (not far, thankfully) by hanging his arm out the window and pulling on the string. He steered with his knees while shifting

Pftzz! That's nothing. My brother's first bug broke the cable once, so he gets one of his buddies to sit on the rear bumper with the lid open and work the throttle while he drove it all the way home! Shocked

Now THAT right there is having balls, or being crazy, or just plain stupid, or all 3 combined! Surprised Rolling Eyes
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO of a friend's single cab overtightened the dizzy clamp and it broke. We found out on the way to a show. I whittled a wedge from a tree branch, static timed it and shoved the twig in.

Made it there and back and took a trophy in the type II division to boot...
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBreeze wrote:
SlowLane wrote:
Hippopotabus wrote:
I once had to rerig my accelorator cable with a coat hanger.

A friend of mine, upon having his accelerator cable break on his Beetle, ran a length of string from the throttle linkage, looped it under the intake manifold for leverage, out the engine lid vents and around the side of the car to the driver's window. He then proceeded to drive home (not far, thankfully) by hanging his arm out the window and pulling on the string. He steered with his knees while shifting. Shocked

1990, Lancaster, PA, 6 hours from home, broken accelerator cable. We pulled the speaker wire,tied it to the throttle, propped the hatch open, my brother stayed in the back barely holding the back hatch open and we ran it through the middle of the bus. My buddy drove and operated "gas" by hand while I shifted for him in the passenger seat. Took us 9 hours because we had to keep stopping to reattach the wire, but we made it. The scariest part was in the right lane on the Verrazano Bridge trying to fix the wire while cars are whizzing past us.

I helped a friend limp his bus home that way - he drove, while I operated the throttle by hand with the engine compartment lid off, with me sitting in the back of the bus. It took a while to coordinate the throttle for shifting, but by the time we got home, we had it down pretty good...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Hippopotabus wrote:
Quote:

Pftzz! That's nothing. My brother's first bug broke the cable once, so he gets one of his buddies to sit on the rear bumper with the lid open and work the throttle while he drove it all the way home! Shocked

Now THAT right there is having balls, or being crazy, or just plain stupid, or all 3 combined! Surprised Rolling Eyes

haha imagine seeing them drive down the street like that
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Miller Lite beer can "shim" crammed into center pin bushing for close to ten years, worked good.

*Still installed is the aluminum foil/papertowel/silicone RTV four-ply body filler under my cargo floor on the left side behind the driver's seat, the right rear quarter panel, right rear wheel well, driver's floor pan, right front jack point, left side rocker panel cap in left front wheel well.

*Duct tape EGR valve vacuum leak stoppers worked for almost 20 years.

*Accelerator cable had a heater clamp and a spring from a Toyota 20R engine as the cable end for many years.

*Current tachometer installation has a 16 oz. coffee cup lid soft-white light diffuser going on four years-old. Last coffee lid light diffuser lasted 12 years.

Enough! My credibility is permanently shot.
Colin
Gregor77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at a 64 panel. The front bulk head where the spare tire sits was cut out with a torch.. Mad Where will I find one? Rolling Eyes
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 72 Squareback heater channels and A pillars were stuffed with plastic bags and then the owner used a ton of bondo to scuplt the area so that it looked original Rolling Eyes
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

Enough! My credibility is permanently shot.
Colin

Not necessarily. Being able to apply a "hippy fix" proves an understanding of the function of the device.

However, this thread is for WORST fixes. Not ones that worked. Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: