Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Bad and Ugly (Worst Home Repairs to a VW bus)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. There's a great deal of difference between keeping yourself on the road and putting a bondo frame in a bus.

Shark hooked me up with the popcorn:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keep'em coming, boys.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely bad, and I'm not proud that I did it, lol. A friend of mine was tired of having wet feet in his '69 bug, and asked me if I could help him install a new body/pan seal. I said sure and we started on it the next Saturday. As we started taking out the pan bolts I soon found out what the real problem was. The bottoms of both heater channels were gone. The rust would break and the bolts practically fell out. I told him we had better stop as the pan seal wasn't his true problem. After giving him the bad news, he asked me what was it going to take to fix it. I gave him the run down on heater channel replacement. Then trying to relieve some tension, I told him we could fill the channels with "Great Stuff" the blow in foam insulation, and after it dried we could run stove bolt thru the pans. Um, yeah...he went for it. The car was ugly anyway, lol. BTW, he didn't have a water problem anymore Very Happy. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
AquaBus!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: accelerator cable advice Reply with quote

they are 7$.. keep a spare..

... i remember the days when a bus cost two dollars and you had to push it uphill both ways...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubberdaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not VW but a Mini, years ago my mate and i were driving round town one night and the accelerator cable snapped. We threaded what was left of the cable through the dash and i pulled the cable whilst he tried to drive us home! Was much maddness, but fun!! Wink
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old Beetle I had years ago, that was resurrected from the parts cars leaked water at the heater channels. I used a large screwdriver and punched a hole underneath the back seat on both sides, so that the water could run back out. Embarassed
Shagg
Samba Whipping Post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a buddy w/ a RUSTED out 67 westy, daily driven. On the way to a campout 1 weekend, he hit a bump in the road, and the driver-side front windowfell out!! Luckily, all the silicone(previous rig job) on the glass held it up until he got stopped. when we got to the camp-out, we had to fix it somehow, as it was raining buckets. Upon closer inspection, the reason for the window coming out was that the bottom lip of the window frame,(the one the window rubber hooks over) was completely rusted out at the bottom (not too uncommon here... Confused ). After careful parts inventory, we Macgyvered it w/ 6 packs of bubblegum(chewed up) and about half of a budweiser can. Its amazing that it actually held for another 400 miles in the rain, and leak free!!
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a '71 Sportsmobile (cross b/w a westy interior, and rivie poptop) that had the fuel shut-off valve vibrate out and disapear. Needless to say, it left a 1/4 vacuum hole, and run like s@!$. found a perfect size twig branch and stuffed it into the hole "temporarily". It went like that for several months before I replaced it.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (according to the posts I've read so far) have a remarkably unscathed bus. The original owner (I'm #3) fixed the big traditional dent along the lower part of the sliding door with a pretty dreadful bondo patch (ran the full length of the door), and then rattled canned it ceylon beige to match the body color. Over the years the patch rusted out from underneath, and the paint turned this bilious green color - it looked like I had some nasty mold on the slider - finally bought a westy sliding door with a slider window and replaced it Rolling Eyes.

I have fixed the throttle cable with a hairpin, when the clevis pin broke out of the cotter pin, then forgot about it for a couple of years.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread.

Had an vanagon accelerator cable break on the engine end. I bent it back against itself (forming a U) then zip-tied it in place. Then used a couple of more zip ties to connect it to the proper place. Ordered an accelarator cable from Bus Depot but didn't put it on for months because the zipties were holding up just fine.

What a hillbilly I am.

But I do always carry a spare accelarator and clutch cable (with the butterfly nut) these days.

Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Bishop13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a 58 bug. The ignition switch fried and the starter crapped out on the Golden Gate bridge late one night, Thank god for running boards, I was able to skateboard the car to a turnout where I wired tail light power to the coil and bump started the car with the headlights on. When I got home I parked on a hill and shut off the lights.
Being a broke teenager I got really good a bump starting the car: by myself, in reverse, at traffic lights, on dates, etc.
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliding door guide was rusted out on my first bus, and I was pitifully broke. When it finally flew off onto the shoulder, 2 barn-door hinges from the hardware store and a deadbolt with padlock turned it into a gigantic suicide door. Floor was pop rivets and any sheet metal that I could find on garbage day.

Moved on to a Westy, but still butt-poor:

On the side of the road in North Carolina, replaced a good portion of the exhaust system using metal from soup cans, pop rivets, and some fiberglass-looking heatproof wrap. Had that on there for almost a year.

A New Orleans Wal/K/Target provided a small door hinge when the accelerator pedal broke. Became permanant.

Rust around the windshield rubber started letting water in, but repeated applications of thick primer eventually sealed it up.

Linkage between dual dellorto carbs kept coming apart - until wrapped in a duct tape cocoon that let it flex without the ball popping out of the socket. Like this for about a year.

Engine compartment door hinges worn down, lock broken, so there was a padlock holding it on each side.

Ex-wife didn't like to wait. If the next exit was more than few miles, she'd hop up on the sink to pee and run the tap to "flush". There was no grey water tank, just a hose hanging out the bottom of the van. (repaired by divorce)

Jalousie windows had no knobs, but they had vice grips.

Ten pound propane bottle in cabinet between icebox and clothes closet, connected to a 16000 BTU hydroflame furnace by rubber tubing.

I also drove home pulling a string over my shoulder to operate the throttle. This seems so common that I'm gonna order a backup cable for my current ride.

Bus came to me with so many abandoned wires running through it that I didn't even try to detangle them. When something went, I ran a new wire right through the existing spaghetti.

Bondoed without completely removing the rust, hand sanded for a million years, and painted it bright purple from cans with no UV protector. Always parked in full sunlight in the same spot, and in a few months one side was noticably lighter, and brown shit was starting to seep up through the paint.

I was young and stupid and broke, what else can I say? I'm trying to make up for it now by treating my Vanagon with kindness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whadda confession collection! It's a wonder more bay folks haven't crashed & burned.

Makes me almost wanna rip the black duct tape off my Westy's full-thickness lower front end rust porosities, and cut, patch, fill, sand, primer & paint. Almost... but heck, it's been like this for 15 years. Some new duct tape will make it look just fine, for now. Windshield rubber is replaced; rust isn't noticeably spreading, thanks to its being in SoCal, but not living at the beach anymore.

Nah, it's time to get ready for Spring camping with kids in the desert. Y'all know; important stuff.

J.R.
68 Westy
greatlord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say I always carrry a big roll of wire feed wleder whire on long trips, that $5 investment has taken me home more times than I will talk about sober. hell my kids don't even worry any more when I hop out and go look under the hood at a stoplight.
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite on my bus were the two switches on the dash to operate the indicators! The original had failed so the POs had it replaced with the two switches by a "mechanic"! They drove it for miles like this. Oddly enough it didn't pass the required inspection before I bought it.

My next favourite is the "why use the correct CV grease when any old stuff will do?" job. Back when I first got the bus and was still enthusiastic I decided to check the condition of the CV joints. The grease in the joint in question just poured out like custard when I undid the bolts! Shocked The joint was still fine though.
papapepe4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I heard a story from someone that did some of my bodywork that a guy once replaced a portion of his broken accelerator cable with 10 strings of dental floss to get his bus home. Maybe flossing actually isn't a waste of time...

Proudly driven (by various hippies) since 1970.
metalwoodstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a beater in the yard right now - pastel tangeriene with " action painting" style splashes of pink and green Evil or Very Mad spray foam in the rust cavities covered with masking tape. Butchered extention cord for battery to fuel pump relay, and plumbers strap holding up 1/2 muffler pipe.

Taking the motor tranny wheels and sending it off to the crusher Twisted Evil
iggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingCoyote wrote:

Ex-wife didn't like to wait. If the next exit was more than few miles, she'd hop up on the sink to pee and run the tap to "flush". There was no grey water tank, just a hose hanging out the bottom of the van. (repaired by divorce)

WHAHAHHAA!!
Glad I was wasn't in the middle of a drink when I read the quote above.

hmmm most botched fixes for me?

My first car (63 Mini) came to me without floors. I replaced them with plywood and astroturf.. It covered most of the holes...

My bus came into my hands a wee bit of a botch job.. the PO used to spraybomb it with a mismatched orange everytime it got scratched or rusted.. pretty sure he never bothered sanding or even washing the bus first. Rolling Eyes
Personally... uhhh my drivers side mirror is held in with duct tape! Embarassed
Held together by love, hard work and a little help from my friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingCoyote wrote:
Ex-wife didn't like to wait. If the next exit was more than few miles, she'd hop up on the sink to pee and run the tap to "flush". There was no grey water tank, just a hose hanging out the bottom of the van.

Shocked I'll bet the tailgaters loved that.

Quote:
(repaired by divorce)

That was one of my favorite repairs.

Quote:
Ten pound propane bottle in cabinet between icebox and clothes closet, connected to a 16000 BTU hydroflame furnace by rubber tubing.

Shocked Exclamation Shocked Exclamation

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnskmobi wrote:
My next favourite is the "why use the correct CV grease when any old stuff will do?" job. Back when I first got the bus and was still enthusiastic I decided to check the condition of the CV joints.

Yeah. I've heard of this. Some people apparently cannot spend the extra $1 for the right stuff.

fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am going to have to go with my old prospective bay. She had somehow burned out everything having to do with blinkers, meaning wires, switch, and relays. The still-owners fix? Two huge push switchs directly attacted to the bulbs. Wanna take a right? Push-pause-push-pause-push....

hazards? Just palm it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: