Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

Doing some "redo" on an engine a tech did for me and it has new 1800 heads from aircooled.net as well as new P/C set from same. I have to reseal the cylinder/case joints, BUT he did not install the cylinder head/cylinder sealing rings. I have searched and not found a conclusive answer if they are to be used or not. I have emailed and left voicemail for aircooled.net and am waiting on response but sometimes that can take a couple days. REALLY would like to get this engine back together today. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks in advance.

P.S. My Bentley is not any help on this.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

Its normal.
Its pretty much universal now to not install them but instead lightly lap the cylinders to the head openings.

There were issues with burn throughs and leakage with factory head gaskets. There was also a VW technical service bulletin about removing the gaskets. I "think" it was mainly aimed at the 2.0L but serves better for all type 4.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

I see it the same as Ray. No gasket required, and do lap the jugs to the head and the case... you will need to remove the case studs to lap them to the case.
Arrow BUT do not mistake this idea for leaving out Cylinder Shims! Those ARE required for correcting deck height when setting up your compression ratio. The shims are NOT gaskets, but look like them. I put the shims between the case and the jug, but a lot of people seem to put them between the head and the jug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

1975 - 1983 GD, GE, and CV coded engines. Copy of VW tech bulletin

http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/techbull.pdf
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

Thanks - Thats exactly what I needed to know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

Someone correct me if I am wrong, andk5591 you mentioned "New 1800 Heads", if they are indeed new AMC heads then they come with the step in the head, at least the ones I remember, if those heads have that step you may not need the base shim. Steel base shims and the aluminum head gaskets are not interchangeable, different ID/OD
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

I would call aircooled. Some heads have the thickness of the head gasket built in and do not require shimming. Measure your deck height before you call.
Good luck
Tcash

"aircooled, During the mock up stage, you’ll have to order cylinder base shims to get the engine’s deck height between .040-.060″; we target .050″, so if you are off +-.010″ it’s not a big deal."
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, andk5591 you mentioned "New 1800 Heads", if they are indeed new AMC heads then they come with the step in the head, at least the ones I remember, if those heads have that step you may not need the base shim. Steel base shims and the aluminum head gaskets are not interchangeable, different ID/OD

They are the AMC heads...
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help ASAP - do I need cylinder sealing rings type 4 1800 Reply with quote

There will be a 1mm step in the chamber, check the deck, .035 to .040 would be ideal, my personal preference, whatever you are comfy with for compression, bolt that sucker back together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: