Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on 2nd CHT gauge
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Opinions on 2nd CHT gauge Reply with quote

I've ordered a new Cylinder Head Temperature gauge from Dakota Digital. Without reviving all the old arguments and debates from previous threads about CHT's, what should I do with my present VDO CHT gauge?

I've thought of running them both, just for comparison (mounted under different spark plugs), although the shortcomings of the VDO gauge are well known. Which cylinder is typically the second hottest (after #3)? Or I could hook it up to the coolest cylinder (which one?), as the accuracy of the VDO seems to be better at cooler temps. By the way, engine is a 2.0 L with F.I.

Or should I just get rid of the VDO gauge and reduce the dash clutter?

What have others done who have made the switch to the Dakota Digital CHT?

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a comparision of the two gauges might be interesting, but then as you note, since they'd be tied to separate plugs, the data might not be that useful.

If it were me, I'd just stick with the one gauge.

Actually, if it were me, I'd just stick to not having any gauges at all!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt both senders be on the same plug? That way you could see just how different they read?
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just going to sell my group of 3 VDO gauges to someone who wants them. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Better than having nothing in there, but I don't have any extra space on my dash to have 2 CHTs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your old CHT to PaleoWagen, who started his thread about going to Montana.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I am just going to sell my group of 3 VDO gauges to someone who wants them. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Better than having nothing in there, but I don't have any extra space on my dash to have 2 CHTs.
How much?
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on 2nd CHT gauge Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Which cylinder is typically the second hottest (after #3)? Or I could hook it up to the coolest cylinder (which one?), as the accuracy of the VDO seems to be better at cooler temps.

On my engine, #1 runs second hottest, generally 4 - 6 F lower than #3. Cylinders 2 & 4 generally run about 12 - 16 F lower than #3. 2 and 4 usually track each other within a degree or two.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a double gauge and run a toggle so I can read both cylinders on either bank.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on 2nd CHT gauge Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
On my engine, #1 runs second hottest, generally 4 - 6 F lower than #3. Cylinders 2 & 4 generally run about 12 - 16 F lower than #3. 2 and 4 usually track each other within a degree or two.

Thanks, SlowLane, and everyone else for suggestions.

After further thought, my dash IS too cluttered, but I am now thinking that I might just mount the VDO in the engine bay, on cylinder #1. I also have a spare vacuum gauge lying around that I could mount back there, too. Along with my permanently mounted fuel pressure gauge, that would make 3 gauges back there, providing a nice symmetry for the three that I have mounted under the radio up front Laughing .

Ahhhh, too complicated. I think I'll just sell the thing......

I should have asked this question as a poll.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: