Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 105, 106, 107  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

For those of us without a "finished" garage or shop that has air conditioning and heat, a fan is a godsend in the summer.

I'm looking for an industrial quality, 30", oscillating pedestal fan. I've noticed that most require that the oscillation linkage has to be connected or disconnected with a wrench, as opposed to knob like the old school fans.

What are y'all using for fans? My garage is 30X40 with 10' walls and open ceiling, so i need something that'll move a bunch of air. Summer temps inside reach 110-115 routinely.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

My garage is open at rafters, has no collar beam, but a ridge beam. Tin roof is (was) visible, screwed directly to purlins. You will see a great heat reduction if you insulate with film directly stapled to the boards and taped off with aluminum duct tape. The sheets are 6-8 wide and rolls are available long so fewer seams.It looks like bubble wrap with a silver Mylar film over it, do whole garage for $2-300.Since doing this my shop is cooler especially by not opening the bay doors. Instead of one large fan, I put a small a/c window unit over my workspace ,and a 30 in. floor fan. Now I can stand/sit at my workbench and get blasted in the face from the window unit.
hubCapT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Getting ready to swap out my old lights in the shop, curious what people are running and what’s works best? Approximately 20x20 with 9’ ceilings, currently have (2) banks of 4’ old fluorescent tubes.

Thanks
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

hubCapT wrote:
Getting ready to swap out my old lights in the shop, curious what people are running and what’s works best? Approximately 20x20 with 9’ ceilings, currently have (2) banks of 4’ old fluorescent tubes.

Thanks

I’m running 12 t8 fixtures (2 bulbs each) in my 22x22 garage with 8’6” ceiling height. I’ve got four rows, three fixtures each. It lights the space pretty well and only occasionally do I need more task lighting which is probably about the best compromise.

for a poor example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

hubCapT wrote:

Thanks

Over the last few years I have swapped out all of my old fluorescent fixtures with LED shop lighting from Costco. I did just swap LED tubes into one old fixture as a test, and it seems to be working fine. I would buy two or three fixtures each time they were on sale.

Out of about a dozen new fixtures and a few bulbs, I have one tube (not replaceable) in one fixture that has gone bad already. There is also one fixture that messes with FM radio reception. Other than that, They work great and are much better lighting than the old stuff.
hubCapT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Thanks for both the replies! Looks like LED is the way to go. Found a box set of (4)4’ fixtures, two bulbs each, for $100. They have both 4k and 5k available for the same price so will probably go with the 5k.

After that it’s onto a new compressor, relief valve manifold cracked on my trusty old Craftsman 30 gallon. Built in the early 80s so it had a good run. Anyone have experience with HF McGraw compressors? Oil over oil-less?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

I just purchased these for my shop:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunco-Lighting-Equivalent-D...mp;sr=8-39

Lightweight but sturdy. And I like how you can link up 4 together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

I can tell you that 5000K is like an operating room. It's very WHITE.

I have 5000K in my shop area and my wife hates it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

I just found this thread but I finished my garage last year. I know its not very impressive compared to alot of the garages in this thread but it is a great accomplishment for me as I built it all myself with the exception of pouring the concrete (i did form it though). I also roofed and painted the entire house at the same time. When I say I did it myself I dont mean I wrote a check and someone else built it. However I will NEVER take on a project of this scale alone ever again. A buddy did help me set the trusses and a neighbor used his tractor to lift the shingles up to the roof and i got a couple hours out of another guy in exchange for a top end rebuild but when it came time to roof it all I had no buddies!

This is side view after paint. I dont have pics with it all crammed full yet will post later.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

That looks great and is huge!!! I wish i had the ability to do that. What size is that if you don't mind me asking?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Thanks its 28x30 looks a lot smaller now crammed full of my honey do projects.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
Thanks its 28x30 looks a lot smaller now crammed full of my honey do projects.

Somehow we all need to figure out how to make the VW to do list become more important than the honey do list. Hypnotism?

I'm having a 24 x 20 built (because the town wont let me go bigger on my lot) and i was hoping yours was that size. mines going to be cramped.
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Yeah I had to attach mine due to the town ordinance but it actually gave me room to make it bigger. Took almost as long to obtain permits as it did to build. Hypnosis might work 🤔!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Almost finished with the 1500sqft basement shop. Just need to get the electrician in to tidy up a few things then I can get started back on the dubs.
Also have another 300sqft attached garage where the wife keeps her personal car that I plan to create a paint booth within.

Parts room

Work bench and tools

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Very nice! Congrats
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Work in progress (along with the house Laughing ).

Now with VW content! I don't have concrete poured yet, so I used some leftover building materials to make a raised platform to keep the car out of the dirt. Hopefully I will get concrete in soon.

Finally have concrete, and all the tools moved back in from storage. Now to remember how it all goes back together, and find a spot for everything.... There is a machine shop in there somewhere. In many pieces, part, and boxes, but it's in there somewhere Laughing

Almost done now!

db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Im jealous as hell thats awesome! Love the tin roof addition.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

i cant even sniff at the size and coolness of these last few garages but i am just happy mine are all at one place now! Obus and Othing welcome home!!!

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

heres my attached garage. It just acquired a new inhabitant. 1960 Paprika Red Ghia convertible.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Congrats Paul !!! I know you waited a long time for this ^^, I see lots of shelf/rack systems to make all that space work. Good luck on the '60 Ghia too !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 105, 106, 107  Next
Jump to:
Page 102 of 107

Jump to: