Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 105, 106, 107  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

A pic of the "non vw" mural I added to the garage a while back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

I don't know where else to post/share this..

not my pic not my garage..
https://i.imgur.com/PRGzMPj.jpeg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Looks like Tom Tom's in Moab.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Where I hide from the wife

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tastefulmurph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Damn this thread is inspirational!! Have wanted to build a shop since we bought our place 3yrs ago, long and steep gravel driveway here.
vwuberalles that shop is killer, major envy. If you don’t mind me asking what are the dimensions?
Trying to get all my ducks in a row during the planning stage. Max I can go is 20Wx24Lx15H, could possibly stretch out to 30L, gonna be a little cramped with the ‘84 Westy and the ‘86 Volvo, looking for a bug to restore also Laughing so not everybody will fit all at once .
10’ manual pull chain doors on the front (driveway) and back (backyard) so I can pull a pickup full of soil/building materials in the back, extra 20’ of concrete pad on the backside for extra wiggleroom, 1 man door on the back wall & couple of windows on the east for natural light, it’s a short run to the breaker panel in basement to tie into electric, sewer clean out is right there so I plan to put a mini bathroom in aswell, possibly a super mini kitchenette. 15’ ceilings so I can pop the top in the Westy, live out of the shop and rent out the house is the dream.
Any insight anybody can provide, things ya would have done differently/wish for would be much appreciated!
“ The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

no matter how big you build it, you will always wish it was larger.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
no matter how big you build it, you will always wish it was larger.

I've heard the same about lights. Nobody ever said...
Quote:
Oh my gawd! It's way too bright in my shop! Idea

except Jay McCutchin after we put 28 1000 watt hibays in his shop Shocked

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Purple Frog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

SKT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Let’s see some more garage pics!

mikeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Undergoing renovations, from basic metal pole barn work shop to a more elaborate “carriage house” for finished vehicles. Room for 9 vehicles with loft space above. Exterior nearly completed, interior this winter.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Recent pic

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Current garage pics

Ignore the square body.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

About to start a garage project that will be a free standing metal building 26 x26 on a slab. 2 garage doors, door on side near front. Looking for advice on a few things. Retired and not a wealthy guy. My current garage is 2-car under my house.

- Led lights:
Instead of the Led long tube shop lights, I was told there are high wattage, round Led lights that are extremely bright and something to consider. And would spacing out and centering 2 of these be enough? And then supplemental light as needed over work bench etc.

- concrete pad:
Price quoted is to have have the pad be the size of the garage and use crush/run gravel for the driveway up to it. But thinking maybe I should add 6 feet of concrete up to the entrance?

- Thoughts on installing a 20" exhaust fan in the eave and lift a garage door for ventilation. VS a large free-standing fan.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:

- Led lights:
Instead of the Led long tube shop lights, I was told there are high wattage, round Led lights that are extremely bright and something to consider. And would spacing out and centering 2 of these be enough? And then supplemental light as needed over work bench etc.

It sounds like you're referring to high bay lights. Unless you'll have 16' or taller ceilings, I would advise against these, as you will not get anything close to even lighting distribution.

mg50 wrote:

- concrete pad:
Price quoted is to have have the pad be the size of the garage and use crush/run gravel for the driveway up to it. But thinking maybe I should add 6 feet of concrete up to the entrance?

Entirely your call. What are you doing with regard to a foundation, stem wall, etc.?

mg50 wrote:

- Thoughts on installing a 20" exhaust fan in the eave and lift a garage door for ventilation. VS a large free-standing fan.

That will provide a decent air changeover (fumes), but if you're looking for it to create enough breeze to feel cooler, you'll be disappointed.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

racecougar wrote:
mg50 wrote:

- Led lights:

It sounds like you're referring to high bay lights. Unless you'll have 16' or taller ceilings, I would advise against these, as you will not get anything close to even lighting distribution.

MG50: Thanks, make sense if this type of light is too "spot" and not "flood" focus.

mg50 wrote:

- concrete pad:

Entirely your call. What are you doing with regard to a foundation, stem wall, etc.?

MG50: I'm not sure what a stem wall is. But contractor is to grade/level the ground, make forms and have concrete poured.

mg50 wrote:

That will provide a decent air changeover (fumes), but if you're looking for it to create enough breeze to feel cooler, you'll be disappointed.

MG50: I'm in the deep south so looking for cooling effect more than fumes exhaust.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Interesting diagram pertaining to high wattage LED round lights and their focus. So, yes they may not be best choice unless you have a high ceiling.

racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

Regarding stem wall, it's extension of the foundation wall above the slab height. This keeps your framing and wall materials up off the floor/above grade to offer better protection from water/bugs. It sounds like you're building directly on the slab without a foundation though. You can see an example here:

What type of building/framing are you erecting? Are you at least doing a thickened edge/monolithic slab to provide some sort of footing?
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

racecougar wrote:
Regarding stem wall, it's extension of the foundation wall above the slab height. This keeps your framing and wall materials up off the floor/above grade to offer better protection from water/bugs. It sounds like you're building directly on the slab without a foundation though. You can see an example here:

>>aha, got it and now understand.

What type of building/framing are you erecting? Are you at least doing a thickened edge/monolithic slab to provide some sort of footing?

>>>Metal building with the metal "studs". Not very knowledgeable about slabs so thanks for detail questions I can ask the contractor I hired. M

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Garage Fest - post recent pics of your garage Reply with quote

recent garage vehicle addition
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 105, 106, 107  Next
Jump to:
Page 106 of 107

Jump to: