Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust system clean up and rust prevention
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: THE KITCHEN TABLE?? Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Burn those photos! Photshop them so that the exhaust is on the driveway. Otherwise, when your lady gets home, you are going to hear about it every time you sit down to dinner.

THE KITCHEN TABLE??

The subject will be difficult to exhaust.

Rigging Winston for his new radio wiring. Tapped into the "YOU LEFT THE KEY IN, IDIOT!" circuit.

The crime seen is secure Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'll still find out.
No matter how good I clean some mess up my wife always knows. Surprised

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Beaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Lovedavdubs! I got working on mine today. The blizzard just started here so it was warm enough this morning to wirewheel the rust off in the garage. However, I did have to paint on the POR15 in the laundry room, using the dryer as a workbench. Naturally, Stella came in just in time to witness me hammering the lid back on the paint can and splattering black paint all over the new Maytag! Doh! Shocked She didn't even spontaneous combust! Probably because it wiped right off......
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaker wrote:
Good job Lovedavdubs! I got working on mine today. The blizzard just started here so it was warm enough this morning to wirewheel the rust off in the garage. However, I did have to paint on the POR15 in the laundry room, using the dryer as a workbench. Naturally, Stella came in just in time to witness me hammering the lid back on the paint can and splattering black paint all over the new Maytag! Doh! Shocked She didn't even spontaneous combust! Probably because it wiped right off......

Or she's just used to it Rolling Eyes Laughing My wife wont be home until 6:30 tonight. So I had plenty of time to clean up a weeks worth of shananagins Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
hate to throw another roadblock your way but that should have threaded studs on it, not threaded holes, if you try to use bolts in it they will hit the back of the exhaust and it won't seal. This is why I got a new exhaust one of the studs was broken off on mine and some moron used a nut and a long bolt, the more you tightened the bolt the more it pushed against the back of the exhaust and wouldn't seal.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97724&highlight=exhaust

I figure I'll tap new threads in to the crossover pipe's flanges and use a wider diameter stud. No big deal. I was just pissed that the PO didn't tell me about this. Then again I really should have checked it over thoroughly when I got. Oh what the hell, $35.00 is still a good deal. Stripped or not. My current crossover pipe is trashed.

BTW I painted on the first coat of POR-15 last night check it out Wink

CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your wife know you painted inside the kitchen. Think
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the dining room. And what she dont no can't hurt me Twisted Evil
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Did you wipe off the fingerprints, though? Reply with quote

Crime Scene, EFI!

Gad, the stripped bolts... I can understand how you feel, I used a yard blower to blast high-speed air into the front air duct over Winston's front fan and accomplished... NOTHING. I also replaced a few connectors and put in the new switch, no improvement. I also realized that all four of my heater control lever knobs weren't really detachable. I think I'll epoxy them for now and replace 'em when I go in for the blower.

The GOOD thing is that my all LED panel is a success... the white LED's behind the heater panel are a BIT dimmer, but very serviceable, the amber LED's in the clock, tach, and speedometer are GREAT. The red light in the Hazard switch is... bright, but not a problem.

The LED side and rear running lights are very nice indeed, and my friend the gearhead and I got Winston's replacement 'WESTFALIA' decals onto the fiberglass. He's looking beat-up spiffy. I also got my radio's remote control working with a new battery, and the sound was lovely. The rubber antenna seems to work just fine. I've got some trim to install, weather permitting, while I get ready to put in his new auxiliary battery and wiring.

You DO look confident and smug in your photo. Proper look for VW perfectionist. Good luck with the installation and the painting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Winston have 3 or four control knobs? I have a leftover set of four from my heaterbox replacement (it came with controls and everything!). If you need them, I'll pack them up and ship them to you. PM me with your address, send back the postage in dimes or whatnot.

Cheers,
james
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a new muffler and all new gaskets from the heater boxes to the tail pipe this afternoon. Wink Anybody here ever remove there heater boxes? Mine aren't in horrible shape at this point (as far as I can tell) Rolling Eyes but I'm thinking of yanking them off and performing the same procedure to them before they rust into oblivion. Is it a pain in the ass to get them off? I figure I've come this far I might as well go all the way Wink
pitbovver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really a pain to get them off unless you break and exhaust stud the outers as i recall are a little harder to get to than the inners lube them up real well a couple times and try it the next day. PB'laster is always good to use as a penetrant, but really the outside of the heater boxes shouldnt rust i believe they are aluminum on the outside with cast iron guts, mine just cleaned up real well, if you do take em out check your gaskets btw manifold and heads might need replaced or not.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not hard to get off like pitbover says, penitrating oil, and give it some time to work. If you are gooing to all the trouble you should fix your oil leaks with the right valve covers then try to get the insides of them as oil free as possible. the dishwasher works well for this, if one came with your apartment. Wink
Then you can have quirky heat too! make sure you get the correct gaskest form the heater boxes to the head, you should have two with the bolt holes strait across and two where the bolt holes are offset.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Did you wipe off the fingerprints, though? Reply with quote

NOW theres a novel idea.. LeafBlower for aircooled heater assist..

that'll defog the windshield.. and CO you at the same time Evil or Very Mad

Jay, congrats it's looking good, and don't blame the PO of the pipe, might not have been him or any to his knowledge a non-OEM design..
not many are as thourough as some of us VW frea.. err fanatics.

make that vanatics.. now to kick my pops outta my garage and get back to work on my poor TD Riviera.. the todo list includes,
rings+HG+timing belt
rebuilt injectors and glow plugs
new exhaust I hopefuly won't break/leak and soot up my engine
new intake and THING oilbath AC incase the exhaust soots up my old paper filter

dan in syracuse NY

msinabottle wrote:
Crime Scene, EFI!

Gad, the stripped bolts... I can understand how you feel, I used a yard blower to blast high-speed air into the front air duct over Winston's front fan and accomplished... NOTHING. I also replaced a few connectors and put in the new switch, no improvement. I also realized that all four of my heater control lever knobs weren't really detachable. I think I'll epoxy them for now and replace 'em when I go in for the blower.

You DO look confident and smug in your photo. Proper look for VW perfectionist. Good luck with the installation and the painting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Wink I decided to do it for sure. When I get the exhaust all set up and ready to go I'll pull um out. Don't have a dish washer though. Any other options. I used the search and found nothing. I even Googled it. Nothing Confused Can I soak them in a bucket of something? Non flammable I presume Laughing
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Me Not Quite That Dumb Reply with quote

I wasn't using the leaf blower while Winston was running. I was trying to get the blower to move and break any corrosion or jam that was holding it immobile. I hoped that if I could get the blower moving, it might respond again to current. It hasn't so far. I'm hoping it might start if I take Winston out on the highway, but that's wishful thinking.

I just kind of shudder at having to dismantle that dash... Take out and replace the shear bolts... disconnect the electrical system... to fix the blower. I can get a new blower and a new heater core, but you just kind of want him, you know, THERE, for a while.

To add to my woes, today the red 'coolant' LED on the tach started blinking again. No reason for it, the coolant indicator was right at half, he's full of antifreeze in a bled system, and I stuck a new Coolant II sensor into him on general principles.

Pending project is the battery minder, the Voltage-Sensitive Relay, and the Inverter. It looks as though I can wire the minder to the auxilary battery, when I get it, and the VSR will automatically charge both batteries as they need it, from that, or the alternator when he's running. Not so sure about wiring in the inverter. I want to be VERY SURE of what battery will fit in the auxilary compartment before ordering that.

It was fun driving him today. One more annoyance--a strange sort of buzzing clatter right in my left ear at 'speed.' I think it might be something in the fresh-air delivery system, not certain.

Best!
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: POR15 exaust Reply with quote

Hey there lovedadubs, looking good so far. Hope this works out for everyone involved with this process. I scuffed up my exhaust and put one coat of POR15 on my Vannie and it lasted about 2 months befor heavy surface rust. I am trying it again following directions very closely:

Step 1: Sandblast entire surface of cat and muffler clean.

Step 2: Paint on one coat and wait 25 hours, I used heat gun at 800 degrees to bake on first coat. (notice in garage, not dining table Wink )

Step 3: Paint on second coat, waited about 6 hours and installed, we shall see? Between new Cat converter and S&S muffler over $250 invested, I want to keep it around a while!

lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: POR15 exaust Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:
(notice in garage, not dining table Wink )

Yea well we don't all live in the suberbs Rolling Eyes Wink A garage in my neck of the woods goes for $200-$250 a month easy...If you can find one Evil or Very Mad

Nice jobe! Looks pretty clean Wink I'm gona restud mine tomorrow
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: POR15 exaust Reply with quote

lovedavdubs wrote:
vwjedi wrote:
(notice in garage, not dining table Wink )

Yea well we don't all live in the suberbs Rolling Eyes Wink A garage in my neck of the woods goes for $200-$250 a month easy...If you can find one Evil or Very Mad

Nice jobe! Looks pretty clean Wink I'm gona restud mine tomorrow

Well, mother nature has spoken Rolling Eyes ...and it looks like my exhaust resto project is on hold for now. 14" of snow isn't exactly the ideal conditions for the curb side mechanic if ya know what I mean. There were cars on my block that were completely submerged in the snow drifts. All my gaskets are due for delivery tomorrow. But I guess it doesn't really matter now Evil or Very Mad

Winter SUCKS! Almost as much as the East Coast with at its mother %^&*$#@. Noreasters. Sorry fellow East coasters, just had to vent some frustration.

seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit yer camplaining, it's been snowing like that around here a lot.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seans67 wrote:
Quit yer camplaining, it's been snowing like that around here a lot.

Well what do you expect. You live in Alaska. Hello Wink And that's a Syncro you got there. Why aren't you out in the woods playing. Lets see some action pics.

Do they spray the roads with salt up there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: