Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug vs. Bus mufflers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Bug vs. Bus mufflers Reply with quote

Other than one outlet vs. two is there a difference between type 1 and type 2 mufflers (1600cc engine)? Are the internals different? I need to replace the muffler on my bus and I have a new bug muffler here and I was wondering if I could just weld up the right-side outlet and use it.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bug vs. Bus mufflers Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
I was wondering if I could just weld up the right-side outlet and use it.

i've asked this in the past and was told i could not, i'd love for someone to tell me different, i still have a few nice bug mufflers laying around
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the internals are differant, I had a friend who did this and it made the engine run hot and like shit, like it was blocking up one side of the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stock bug muffler sucks enough power as it is, image how bad it would be with 1 outlet welded shut! Cool It would be like sticking a banana in the tailpipe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the muffler. As far as I know bus and bug mufflers are the same inside (really not much inside them at all!) What you would have to consider though is what side the heat riser pipe comes down. It must exit in to the tailpipe (so you want one w/ the heat riser pipe coming down on the lt. side) You'll also have to fabricate a bracket to support the tail pipe. Unless you are attatched to the stock look, why not go for a header and single QP system. Stock mufflers are VERY innefficient, and restrict motor too much in the high rpms.
oilspot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayland wrote:
It depends on the muffler. As far as I know bus and bug mufflers are the same inside (really not much inside them at all!) What you would have to consider though is what side the heat riser pipe comes down. It must exit in to the tailpipe (so you want one w/ the heat riser pipe coming down on the lt. side) You'll also have to fabricate a bracket to support the tail pipe. Unless you are attatched to the stock look, why not go for a header and single QP system. Stock mufflers are VERY innefficient, and restrict motor too much in the high rpms.

I'm running a 1776 with a stock bus muffler. I had it running on a single quiet pack at first and changed over to the stock unit. I can't really tell any differance, except that the stock bus muffler sounds, and looks better.
Yeah mabey you can see some differance on a dyno, but it's a bus. If i'm looking for performance my first step would be to not drive a aerodynamic brick.
Sorry for the partial hyjack, I just regret running a quiet pack for so long, worrying about the huge power loss I may suffer going stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayland wrote:

My plan was to use this muffler that I already have, since it wouldn't cost me anything. But if it won't work and I have to spend money I will look into other options. I am good with welding so fabricating brackets is no big deal.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
m running a 1776 with a stock bus muffler. I had it running on a single quiet pack at first and changed over to the stock unit. I can't really tell any differance, except that the stock bus muffler sounds, and looks better.
Yeah mabey you can see some differance on a dyno, but it's a bus. If i'm looking for performance my first step would be to not drive a aerodynamic brick.
Sorry for the partial hyjack, I just regret running a quiet pack for so long, worrying about the huge power loss I may suffer going stock.

this is good to hear, i am considering a 1776 w/ dual carbs 35mm & a stock exhaust. everyone says it won't work well, but until Ronnie unviels his muffler I'm not willing to get the empi,bugpack, etc header/muffler crap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this issue last year when I got rid of a crappy header on my 1600dp. I wanted to go stock muffler to experience the joys of a properly functioning heat riser. Unfortunately none of the VW parts shops where I live (Central America) had bus mufflers...only bug mufflers were available. I didn't want to pay huge dollars for overseas shipping of a (heavy) muffler from the States so I went with the bug version.

I considered closing off one outlet but what I did finally was rig up a two outlet system. Of course you don't want to have the pea shooter pipes cause that entails hacking the rear apron and other barbarities. I had the local muffler boys weld up brackets and bend tail pipes, one on the left and one on the right. So it kind of looks stock with the tail pipe exiting to the side/rear, only I have two tail pipes instead of one.

Perhaps this is a bad idea and I'm totally ruining my engine or something, but it seems to be working OK. Just another option you may want to consider.

Guatebus
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also harm the engine. It builds a lot of heat in the heads when you have a restrictive exhaust. Combine the restriction with the fact you are pushing a 2200lb loaf up a hill, and the engine is not happy. Of course most people aren't looking for performance in a bus, but at least research what you're doing.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guatebus wrote:
I ran into this issue last year when I got rid of a crappy header on my 1600dp. I wanted to go stock muffler to experience the joys of a properly functioning heat riser. Unfortunately none of the VW parts shops where I live (Central America) had bus mufflers...only bug mufflers were available. I didn't want to pay huge dollars for overseas shipping of a (heavy) muffler from the States so I went with the bug version.

I considered closing off one outlet but what I did finally was rig up a two outlet system. Of course you don't want to have the pea shooter pipes cause that entails hacking the rear apron and other barbarities. I had the local muffler boys weld up brackets and bend tail pipes, one on the left and one on the right. So it kind of looks stock with the tail pipe exiting to the side/rear, only I have two tail pipes instead of one.

Perhaps this is a bad idea and I'm totally ruining my engine or something, but it seems to be working OK. Just another option you may want to consider.

Guatebus

Can you post a picture? Confused
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a photo or camera handy, so I used photo editor to hack up a photo someone posted in the gallery. My setup kind of looks like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the apron and bumper on you can pretty much only see the ends of the tail pipes.

- Guatebus
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually a pretty "trick" looking muffler! Razz
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heres another option using a stock bug muffler. Just weld a bend into the muffler and have it exit below the stock bumper.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, on a 1600 sp, I felt a noticeable difference between the stock muffler and a header. I didn't lose as much speed on hills with the header over the stock muffler. I ended up running stock, though, just because it was quieter with better ground clearance.

As for stock mufflers, though, you can usually pick them up at swap meets pretty cheap. The last one I got, I paid like $20 for at a swap.
Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that if you used anything that didn't exit out the side you risked sucking exhaust fumes back into the cabin/engine?

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split Decision wrote:
I thought that if you used anything that didn't exit out the side you risked sucking exhaust fumes back into the cabin/engine?

That is true. So if you do have an exhaust that exits to the rear, be sure you have a good rear hatch seal.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Split Decision wrote:

That is true. So if you do have an exhaust that exits to the rear, be sure you have a good rear hatch seal.

i've never heard of this before? tell me more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. If I have to buy something (looks like I will) I think that I would prefer a header with a single or dual QP muffler. Can anyone recommend a good header to use, one that has heat risers on it for the carb? I also would like one that clears the apron, but I don't want the exhaust dragging on the ground. I currently have one of those EMPI 4-tip exhausts (came with the bus) and 1) it looks ugly, and 2) it is too close to the apron and has burned off all the paint.
Samba Member #4862
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
Thanks for all the info. If I have to buy something (looks like I will) I think that I would prefer a header with a single or dual QP muffler. Can anyone recommend a good header to use, one that has heat risers on it for the carb? I also would like one that clears the apron, but I don't want the exhaust dragging on the ground. I currently have one of those EMPI 4-tip exhausts (came with the bus) and 1) it looks ugly, and 2) it is too close to the apron and has burned off all the paint.

good headers, in my experience only come from S&S or berg.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: