Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PierreDeKat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

I just wanted to document the seatbelt bolts in my 68 Beetle for the benefit of anybody searching the archives in the same situation I was in: trying to purchase bolts to fit the existing threaded seatbelt studs.

For reasons unknown to me, these bolts are not metric; they're threaded SAE 7/16-20 -- that's a fine thread 7/16 inch bolt. All of the threaded seatbelt inserts are threaded this way: four behind the backseat, two on each door column, and two holding the seatbelt levers between the front seats.

VW may have used this fastener because of some sort of deal with Repa, the manufacturer of the OEM seatbelts during this time. Who knows; they just did it that way, in 1968 Beetles, and I'm sure several other models and years of Volkswagens around that same time period.

Here is a picture of an original door column bolt, alongside an original nylon washer that allows the seatbelt cleats some freedom to automatically adjust for the least slack.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You probably won't be able to find a shoulder bolt like this one at your local hardware store, but they usually carry a 7/16-20x1 inch bolt that's fully threaded, and you might get lucky and find a little 7/16 ID cylindrical piece to act as the shoulder part of the bolt.

Keywords: Repa seat belt lap belts seatbelt seatbelts bolt thread threaded threading size non-metric SAE screw fastener nut weldnut anchor shoulderbolt 2-point 3-point retractable harness
randydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

thank you for noticing the lack of interest in original bolts very helpful I also know porsche used them also
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

There was an agreement long ago from the manufactures to use this bolt I think it crosses over to metric.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
There was an agreement long ago from the manufactures to use this bolt I think it crosses over to metric.

I used USF 7/16-20 when I installed retractable belts in my 1971; Internet search shows this to be the agreement size, like agreement on 14mm and 18mm spark plug threads, and 13, 14, 15 inch wheels even on our old beetles.

Some have claimed that an 11mm metric thread will fit; good luck finding those, you'll be older than our VWs by the time you try those.

Recommend USF 7/16-20, get from a seat belt company or elsewhere if you need ones with shoulders.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2005 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Some have claimed that an 11mm metric thread will fit; good luck finding those, you'll be older than our VWs by the time you try those.

11 mm x 1.25 thread.

It's easier just to go to the wreckers and pull seat belt bolts from any Japanese car, if you can't locate used VW.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:

11 mm x 1.25 thread. - It's easier just to go to the wreckers and pull seat belt bolts from any Japanese car, if you can't locate used VW.

X1, X2, X3

Yes you can get a 7/16" bolt to work, but it ISN'T THE RIGHT BOLT. Take a look at the very bottom of this thread, and I mathematically walk you through the difference.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554235&highlight=

VW NEVER used an SAE thread anywhere on our cars.
Plus more toys then I have time for
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Beetle Seatbelt Bolt Documentation Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
It's easier just to go to the wreckers and pull seat belt bolts from any Japanese car, if you can't locate used VW.

Absolutely agree! I bought the eBay Hummer seat belts and wasn't 100% satisfied with the fitment of the included bolts. I looked at every import car in the junkyard (with no impact damage, think about that) and took multiple seat belt bolts with several different lengths and shoulder dimensions. Y'all are right, a regular hardware store doesn't have the bolts we need to mount the seat belts up!
1641cc | CB cheater cam | H30/31 | 205T SVA | FF oil | everything else stock
FAA A&P
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: