Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rent my bus?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: rent my bus? Reply with quote

i got this call today from some local production company. they wanna rent my bus for a "60s party on the main line" (read rich people). it's some guys 60th birthday party and his wife claims he had a bus back in the day. my guess is both his bus and his wife are fatties. anyway....

i return the call with my mind made up...no way. i
the guy is giving me his schpiel. i let him go on and on. i tell him "what you're asking me is to hand over one of my most prized wordly possesions to complete strangers on a saturday night. i just can't do that, i hope you understand"

he offers me "$150 for a couple hours". i'm like nah, i only have one vehicle that i would even consider doing that with and that one isn't registered. the guy tells me i could come to the party and bring a guest. now i'm thinking i call the "amish kid", jDOTpickens and some other locals and park buses all over their lawn.

what's everybody think? Twisted Evil i told him i'd get back to him tomorrow.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

150- no way- they can damage more than that in a minute

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are tempted to hang at their fancy place and eat their fancy canapes, think about..

Do they understand your bus is worth (fill in here), not $500? And that their guests could easily do more than $150 in damage to it? Sometimes people get funny ideas and think that since it was a cheap car in the 60s or 70s, it's funny to paint flowers or crap on it.

Are they willing to pay for any damages that may happen due to guests at their party? In a very real, legally binding, in writing, maybe with a deposit, cash on hand sort of way?

Maybe they will pay extra to have buses all over the lawn. They might love it. Laughing Laughing Cool
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented our old 70 for a trade show for $200 for the day. They painted flowers and shit on it with shoe polish. The "ghosts" of the flowers and shit were on there for the rest of its life no matter how many times I washed it. Made me regret it.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldworldair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uzi, Don't let it out of your sight, I remember renting my single cab out and getting it back with a different color bumper, and a destroyed poorly fixed shift linkage.
But by all means go the party bring the crew and let all the guests tell you where their grandma's and uncles garaged busses are.
Just my 5th of a nickle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fifty-five
Samba Crash Test Dummy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them are they ready to pay for Any and All damages? Be sure to have a signed contract. Having a notary public witness the signing by both parties probably wouldn't hurt. Also put in the contract that you aren't responsible for any injury sustained while using or being around your bus or any damage caused by your bus if they hit someone or something. Just be sure to cover your ass very well. Try to think of all possible situations in which you could be at a loss. Also I don't think $150 for a whole night is worth it. Maybe $150 per hour for the bus and another $50 per hour for you to be there with it. They think it is cool for you to be at their party, bullshit if it's for a 60 year old it will probably be some stuffy affair that you'll be bored stiff at and probably feel very uncomfortable cause you can't relate to anybody. Just be careful.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it gibbs! fill the yard with busses & the guy will probably have a heartattack Laughing Laughing Make sure you get the cash befor he drops dead though. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I rented my bus for a movie that was being shot local a few years back, but i went along with it and did all the driving. i think it was columbia pictures so they had tons of insurance and all that just in case. and they paid to rent the bus and me as an extra (picture car driver). all they really did was dust it down to get rid of the glare. a lot of people did leave their cars there though (so they got driven by people like me when my bus was parked Wink it was fun, i think i got about $500 for a couple days driving back and forth on sets (not so much cash but the food and everything made up for it, was an awesome experience and i got to drive a bunch of neat old cars). that was a big production...if you do your little private thing you should make sure your ass is well covered as mentioned by someone else. mandy
Wagen Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Rental

250 to 350 a day for the Car.

250 Kit Rental (spare parts and tools on location) a week

350 a day for me

around $800 a day

Sometimes Truck Rental too $175 a day. Only if the shoot is where you cant leave the car.

I did a 1 day shoot in Dec 1350. + 350 cash

plus half day prep

Contact Us -

Email - [email protected]
Phone - 1(760)949-2494
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't do it w/ my POS bus uzi. you be crazy man!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so we got mintonman and obus added to the list, who else is local? maybe 2splits will come to the illadell?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pay the guy a $150 to go away. No way would I rent my bus for $150. Even if I were hard up for some cash, I still don't think I could do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$150 seems real low.

Do it like the way they rent tools. Big ass deposit that doesn't get returned until they verify the tool is undamaged and/or deduct any damages.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they may shiot in their depends on one of your millon middle seats! eccchhh!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented my bus for a tv ad (columbo yogert).
They said they were going to paint a few small flowers on it. This is what it ended up like.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lucky the poster paint all washed off. I had have some fun with it and took it to one show before washing it. One freind freaked and though I had wreck my Og low mile bus.
BTW they paid 900 for two days one day with there art guy.
Wish they asked me to paint it up all hippy like, I would have done a more period job then this reto look hippy.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: rent my bus? Reply with quote

$150 is chump change and they will consider you and you bus to be chumps for accepting it. If they knew the real value of your bus and your time they wouldn't make such a ludicrous offer. Tell the bourgy swine to stuff it up their Lexus tailpipe.
--Dan
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell them hot dogs cost more than a nickel these days.
VintageDreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rent my bus? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
$150 is chump change and they will consider you and you bus to be chumps for accepting it. If they knew the real value of your bus and your time they wouldn't make such a ludicrous offer. Tell the bourgy swine to stuff it up their Lexus tailpipe.
--Dan

If they are offering $150 they probably drive a Ford or Chevy. $150 wouldn't even cover the tip if I rented mine out.
57 PG SG Standard
66 Slider Standard
62 KG Convertible
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He thinks all old buses are worth very little. A common misperception in the general public.

Hmmmm... a bunch of old drunk folks partying in my bus on a Saturday night, I don't think so.

But you already knew all this.
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rent mine for that much.
When I did the lineup for VWOA at the Phaeton rollout in NYC, they didn't pay me. The deal was, they'd put us up at a posh NYC hotel, pay for meals, and provide secure parking. However, there would be nobody touching the bus, and I was in control of it at all times.
Mainly did it so I could give a piece of my mind to the VWOA suits about their hostile attitude to the aircooled collectors out there.

I would, however, be happy to crash the party as part of the UZI, amish kid, posse. Let me know what's up.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: