Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to import INTO the US?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: How to import INTO the US? Reply with quote

Ok. Found a ride in Italy. It is older than 25 years old. How do you get this done. Is there a dealer/importer that can do this shiz for you? Please let me know. I want to bring a mini 1980 RHD model here. I know its not a split bus but I figure if anyone here can help it is the bus people or even the Mafia. Thanks, Matt Black
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Wallenius Wilhilmsen (part of North American transport) a call at 201-505-5100. Be prepared to know the names of the closest pickup port and the closest drop off port to you. You'll need to know the exact size of the vehicle (in cm's and inches). It's not a door to door service, so you'll need to have someone drop the bus off at the port and you'll need to handle customs yourself. Wallenius and your ports customs officer should have some recommendations for a shipping broker if you want one. Last time I brought one in I saved the $$$ and organized it myself.
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess I am looking for a shipping broker because I get a headache trying to figure out the red tape whether my car can be brought in because it is 25 years old or if the US bumpers lights and speedo have to be installed or any other crap! If the car just fell out of the sky and landed in my yard I could register it with a vin verification and a bill of sale in this state. Maybe a canadian can be paid to have it imported to Canada then driving down to me, or atleast down to Just this side of the border to my tow truck, ???? All for a little cake($$) mind you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call e.h. harms at 800.866.1934

a buddy of mine in philly brings in minis. no problem. i think youre in new hampshire? prolly boston would be the closest port. also look in K Line. wallenius has been yanking me around lately and denting up my vehicles.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Uzi. I know the normal auto transport service does domestic only. I just didn't see what international brokers are advertising under. I know you have brought cars over that were more cut and dry because of the age, but this car is only 26 years old. I'll start down this trail. Wish me luck and if anyone else has any input or recommendations please don't be shy! Yeah, i'm in nh. Its going from Torino, Italy to Boston.
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. so here is what I've learned thus far. Please correct me if I make a mistake:
Car must be sent or delivered to docks without gas. Copies of all the important papers including a bill of sale, a Title, a invoice or ebay listing or anything you think may help, proof of payment and recievers info in the US. You need all these same things also and in addition need all translated to english and then the translation and everything else must be notorized. ( As far as all advice given to me was have all the paperwork you can think off to show Customs)
Car is over 25 years old so that is it as far as Legal to use in this country goes! YEAHHHH
Once here you can use a Custom House Broker. Or do it all yourself because the only difference is you drive to the shipyard and customs in person and show them all your mailed copies of previously listed info needed. Pay the 2.5 percent tax and a 9$ fee. Have valid ID and backups. The broker doesn't do squat else but the US customs dealings but you still have to provide all the paperwork!
Then get it home ASAP after it leaves its container or pay expensive storage fees and damage. This is why the paperwork must be in order before hand. No time to catchup or get more paperwork from Overseas.
So just set up shipping on a boat and let your seller handle Customs on there side and send you the proper paperwork to get your side done.

I want to share this info because I am starting to feel bad helping to get my cars and busses shipped away and not bringing enough in!
So help me bring cool shiz back please!
targa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red tape is nonexistant on a 25 year old vehicle. You do not need safety or emissions docs or a letter from the manufacturer. What you do need is a title showing your ownership & proof of your US citizenship...birth certificate or passport
Tom
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

targa wrote:
Red tape is nonexistant on a 25 year old vehicle. You do not need safety or emissions docs or a letter from the manufacturer. What you do need is a title showing your ownership & proof of your US citizenship...birth certificate or passport
Tom

not exactly, there always seems to be some hangup. starting with botched wire transfers, edgy buyers/sellers, communication issues b/c of time zones. there are all kindsa things that can go wrong. if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
butty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope thats not a dig at me mate (botch`d transfers )Laughing we got there in the end ....
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a summation of experiences. that wire transfer did take a hella long time tho.

Quote:
Quote:
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the main thing is to have and honest seller or buyer on either side.

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eh0s
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And have it washed really well...
21-window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy em already imported from one or two states away, like I did. root around a little you'll find what you're looking for.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Importing from Canada Reply with quote

Our friend brought a vehicle he got off us across the line in Blaine, WA. It had borrowed plates, and no insurance, and when he got to the border the crossing guard said, "these aren't the right plates for this vehicle are they?". Our friend explained he had just purchased the bus and borrowed the plates just to get it home. The crossing guard said, "OK, go ahead". That seemed so sickly easy to us. Coming the other way (into Canada) we have to do a bunch of paperwork and give 72 hrs notice.
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: importing Reply with quote

i had my 52 beetle shipped over from belgium. it went to port elizabeth in nj. it passed through customs no problem but then the dept of agriculture stepped in. they needed to check it for mud on the tires because of the mad cow disease scare. the tires were clean but it cost me another $500 to have it brought there and back by the dock workers.
eh0s
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: importing Reply with quote

p horvath wrote:
they needed to check it for mud on the tires

Bingo.

It has to be really clean, caked on mud is a def. no no. Did you pay 2.5% duty on import?
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsick - Here's some good reading for you. http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0600c87.pdf

I too am in the process of bringing over a 25 year old one but from Germany. Seller has been great with communications. Today, I send the money, talk about scary and then I must wait. I just hope what UZI said regarding the damage doesn't happen, that's what has me worried the most. If it's a truck be careful how it is declared so you don't get hit with a 25% tariff. Thanks for the tip regarding the muddy tires, I'll request the seller spray it down before shipping. The truck is really clean to begin with though.

This will be an interesting thread for those of us who have never done this before.

PS - mine will be shipped to Newark NY or Baltimore MD. Not sure which one yet. If going to NY I plan to cut through Canada to shorten the drive distance. Could this pose a problem being the vehicle is not registered, I'll have all the paper work as listed above.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: