Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vented/Non-Vented Gas Cap?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Vented/Non-Vented Gas Cap? Reply with quote

3 weeks ago, some gas station attendant forgot to put my gas cap back on after I filled up (in Oregon, you can't pump your own gas.) I drove around for a week like that, practically dying of the fumes, I've got a DC and the tank is behind the back seat.

So I got a new cap from Wolfsbug West.

I went and filled up and a block away my truck died. I thought it might be my reserve switch. I moved around a little, waited a minute and got it started. I made it home without a problem. Today, it died again on the way to work.

So I went to look in the gas tank to check and make sure I had gas. I could barely get the cap off because of the vacuum suction. As soon as I got the cap off and put it back on, the truck started. So is the seal to good on the new cap, or am I supposed to have a vented cap to allow air into the tank as gas goes out?

Thanks for any help.
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vent that cap now, I had the tank implode and crack thus leaking gas all over the parking lot at work. Also I had weird stalling problems like you did, I bought the same cap you did. Drill a hole in the cap or something..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for an og cap, i would send the cap back to wwwest and get my money back. did you not get reinbursed by the gas station for your cap? print off 3 or 4 adds from this site and make them pay you for your cap they forgot to put back on. i would guess at least 30 bucks is due to you for an og cap

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abeed wrote:
look for an og cap, i would send the cap back to wwwest and get my money back. did you not get reinbursed by the gas station for your cap? print off 3 or 4 adds from this site and make them pay you for your cap they forgot to put back on. i would guess at least 30 bucks is due to you for an og cap

I had an og one with a dent in it for sale for $20... it sold really quick. AT the time, there was one for sale for $69. (undented) it's probably still there.
I dunno if you can get $20, $30 or whatever out of the gas station for the gas cap, though.

I ALWAYS open the gas door and take off the gas cap in Oregon. If they feel they have to activate the pump, fine. They aren't touching my church key. Since I latch the gas door back up ( I tell them to leave it open,too, ) I check the gas cap. I have a fear of an Oregon gas station guy wanting it as a souvenir. I also tell them not to top it off.
Sometimes they listen.

but I check the gas cap.
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did go back to the station that lost the cap. I was pissed and told them how dangerous that was for them to forget to put a cap back on. It wasn't in there lost and found. I spoke to the manager the next day and got nowhere when I asked him about compensation. He said that I couldn't prove that they'd lost it and their policy was to put caps in there lost and found. I asked why they'd have a collection of caps in their lost and found if their employees have to pump the gas, is it that common for them to forget to put the cap back on. He had no response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
I did go back to the station that lost the cap. I was pissed and told them how dangerous that was for them to forget to put a cap back on. It wasn't in there lost and found. I spoke to the manager the next day and got nowhere when I asked him about compensation. He said that I couldn't prove that they'd lost it and their policy was to put caps in there lost and found. I asked why they'd have a collection of caps in their lost and found if their employees have to pump the gas, is it that common for them to forget to put the cap back on. He had no response.

ya, that's about what I expected... Evil or Very Mad grrr.....

One day I was on the freeway and there is gas falling out of the gas filler of this car. the gas door was open and the cap was off. Evidently the guy at his gas door... it was so wierd... the guy stared straight ahead to ignore me. He was just so bent on ignoring the woman in the tatty old VW bus who honked at him. Like he though I was dangerous or something. Meanwhile he's driving along with gasoline spilling down the side of his car.
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a Texaco, Chevron, or major oil company gas station, you CAN get your money back. We have had at least 2 carburators destroyed by certain gas stations (mainly Texaco) and corp. headquarters sent us a check for new ones. File a formal complaint, if you need to. I wish I had a spare that I could sell/give you, but I'm missing one myself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$69
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=254644

Wow, I just sold a dented one for $5. It was dented.... Sad

I see them for $10 at shows but not frequently.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with "customer service" at Wolfsburg. He said that the caps have to be drilled. I told him how nice it was that there was no mention of that on their web site or in the packaging. I told him how nice it was to be stuck on the side of the road in the dark and rain trying to figure out what the problem was. He simply replied that I could return the cap if I wanted.

Nice customer service.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a station in oregon forget to put my gas cap back on, but unfortunately I was on a road trip, so it was a full year before I made it back through. sure enough, they still had my cap. I also asked the pump monkey if there were any good junkyards around there, and he pointed me towards one. it is one of my all time favorite junkyards. I bought and early midlle seat and a standard sunroof clip there for $50 each. this was ten years ago, but I still felt pretty good about it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sondykw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw bobby-- what happened to the carb that they were willing to replace it?
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten some weird responses from W.W. employees, before, but telling you to drill a hole in the new gas cap is irresponsible. At certain times, vapor needs to get out of the fuel tank and air needs to go into it, but "fixing" the problem by having an open hole in the gas cap could be dangerous.
I had a similar problem some 20 years ago when I left my buses gas cap at a gas station near Lake Tahoe. I noticed that the cap was missing when I got home and I bought a new gas cap. I didn't know anything about a cap having to be vented for the old buses but learned the hard way when so much pressure built up in the fuel tank on a warm day that gasoline had been pushed through the carburetor and down into the cylinders, where it got into the crankcase. This happened while the bus was in a garage overnight. I bought a new vented cap and it solved the problem.
You are smart to get more advice than just from that one employee at W.W. I wonder how many people have been told to drill a hole in their unvented gas caps? Get a vented cap.
An officer from California's Bureau of Automotive Repair is going to check out my mother's car a couple of weeks from now; I'll ask him if having an open hole in a gas cap could be a problem.
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks Chris. Those new caps are no good. I bought one of those cheesy new caps at Halsey Imports awhile back. I thought pretty good deal for only $2.35.

I never had the stalling problem but a friend told me about the evils of those caps. With the tank flexing you would eventually crack your tank. So I found an OG cap and tossed the new one in the trash.

I ALWAYS watch the attendents put the cap back on. Oh and you CAN pump your own gas. I don't let anyone near the gas tank in my bug. They usually don't have a problem with that.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine leaked real bad on hard left turns even after a new seal.

I bought one that is used on sand rail aluminum tanks and it works great, no leaks, and its vented. Plus it only cost about $10

CTD Fabrication
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth a Stant 10623 is a perfect fit. It is polished stainless and vented with a ball so no splashing. They're 5.10 US. Fram has their RG23 sku 7195514 vented zinc cadmium with plastic guts cap for 6.99 US also a perfect fit. The NOS replacements marked big "KOMBI" are vented and even more perfect.
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Lynn wrote:
For what it's worth a Stant 10623 is a perfect fit. It is polished stainless and vented with a ball so no splashing. They're 5.10 US. Fram has their RG23 sku 7195514 vented zinc cadmium with plastic guts cap for 6.99 US also a perfect fit. The NOS replacements marked big "KOMBI" are vented and even more perfect.

I don't know if you noticed but there was somebody selling one of these here in the classified for something like $80. The ad stated that it was for a kombi.

Barry, thanks for the rundown on the Stant and the Fram caps. It's nice to carry a backup cap. Wink

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry J wrote:
This sucks Chris. Those new caps are no good. I bought one of those cheesy new caps at Halsey Imports awhile back. I thought pretty good deal for only $2.35.

I never had the stalling problem but a friend told me about the evils of those caps. With the tank flexing you would eventually crack your tank. So I found an OG cap and tossed the new one in the trash.

I ALWAYS watch the attendents put the cap back on. Oh and you CAN pump your own gas. I don't let anyone near the gas tank in my bug. They usually don't have a problem with that.

My tank was totalyl collapsed when I bought it. I had to use compressed air to blow it back out. I put a WW cap on it after I drilled a small hole, about the diameter of a pencil lead. No problem since.
--Dan
Grant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm, why are there non-vented caps still being made if they cause so many problems? do some people need non-vented caps?
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant88 wrote:
umm, why are there non-vented caps still being made if they cause so many problems? do some people need non-vented caps?

Yes, 72/73 buses use those non-vented caps.
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very old VW gas tank aftermarket venting system from the 50's. The directions tell you to drill a hole just below the cap. The fitting that attaches has a rubber gasket to keep it sealed. You attach fuel hose to the outside of the fitting and vent it to the outside. I have never used it, but obviously this is a long standing problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: