Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio Help.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Radio Help. Reply with quote

Hi, I need help with a radio in a Passat that we recently bought, it is a 1993 and it has a factory am/fm/cassette that I believe is a "Heildelburg"?dunno for sure cause that is what the guy we bought it from said. Well anyway how do I get it to work, it displays safe on the face of it when you turn it on, it is a theft proof radio I assume, that is, it wont play unless you know the code. The battery went dead in the car and from what I have read about the radio in my Z/71 Silverado if the anti theft is enabled you need to enter the code to get it to work when power is reapplied. The guy I bought the Passat from was not the original owner so he wont be able to help me he does not know the code and I dont know who was the original person who "locked" the radio , if I ever get this thing squared away I'd like to be able to listen to some tunes, any ideas on what needs to be done,,,,Peace,,,Moosie
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact your local dealer ofr the code. You may need to provide proof of ownership before they will give you the code, but they are the source.

Make sure the volume knob is turned waaaay DOWN before entering the code.....don't ask how I know that. Wink

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you plasticman I will do that, does the radio need to be out of the car ? and then re-installed ? Thanks again,,,Peace, Moosie
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
VDubJetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the radio won't need to be pulled out and re-installed. You'll have to enter the anti-theft code by pushing different buttons on the radio while it has power.
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, I figured that in addition to proof that I do own the car they would need the radio also to physically see it and then reinstall it to enter the code/s. Thanks again,,,Peace,,, Moosie
VDubJetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to just tell them the year, make and model of the car, and then they should be able to pull up which kind of radio it had. But I would call them first, because I know some after-market companies need the serial number off the radio, because they issue different unlock codes for them. But I'm not positive for factory radios.
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again ,, all this is helping,,,Peace,,, Moosie
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubJetta wrote:
No, the radio won't need to be pulled out and re-installed. You'll have to enter the anti-theft code by pushing different buttons on the radio while it has power.

To enter the code you don't have to remove it, but you may need to slide it just far enough out to get the VW part number off of the unit - usually a 12 or 14-digit number, right on top of it.

Removal is stupid easy on those cars, as the tools required are readily available; the dealer might even loan them to you if you need to pull it right in their lot(the dealer where I worked did that). The radio removal tools are the same one as used on Ford radios, and they go into the 4 holes(2 on either side) of the radio's face. Gently spread them apart after insertion, and the radio slides right out easy-cheesy.
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/dt1.html

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link, I've heard that people use wire (rigid) to do the removal, in fact I think it my ex's current flavor of the month that said so. Thanks again,,,,,,,Peace,, Moosie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: