Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop rankings in Phoenix, Arizona
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Shop rankings in Phoenix, Arizona Reply with quote

I've done a lot of searching and question asking here and in local clubs so I started this thread. This post is a compilation of all the posts after it as well as input from other threads I may find. It's a product of the Phoenix VW lovers who take the time to post. Feel free to post your own opinions and I'll update this original post, both good and bad. Ratings are based on overall impression and number of opinions (kind of like ebay Wink ) I'll likely abbreviate comments for very long posts.

"A" RATING
Arizona Transaxle - "A+" - In response to question about transmission shop: EverettB: I have always hear good things about Arizona Transaxle. I had them redo a nosecone for me and I was very happy with the work. I have some other stuff to give them next year. volksworker: Transmissons...the best in the Southwest. Bill knows all and will help you figure out what you need. I have never received a defective trans from him in over 20 years.52HoffmanSplit: ONLY person I would trust my split cases tranny's to... the best in the Southwest.

VW Performance - "A+" Engine work, machine work, rebuilds, very high quality.Desertbusman: it's great that we have Steve around, clearly knows his stuff. Great guy. Lots of positive posts. Wait is a good wait because he delivers the quality and expertise. Doesn't "ram" thru the work. Docsooner: Steve at VW Performance is the real deal. Just got mine back from him and was well worth the wait. He is busy for a reason! CJG: Vw performance is top notch. Great customer service, Steve knows his stuff for sure, fixed a broken stud on my block for the oil cooler and spent some time on the Dyno. tardo: Had my engine built by Steve about a year ago, and it is amazing. The wait can be pretty long and he's not the best about staying in touch about the progress, but wow what an engine. Worth the wait. I'd give them an A, as long as you've got time to wait. volksworker: Builds great motors but it takes a long long time. Doesn't seem to be in his shop very often.

Many additional comments on Steve posted below and in forum.

Chirco (Tucson) - "A" - [email protected]good prices, fast delivery, knowledge and respect. TUDrewser: I've read in other posts that they are good for ordering parts too. Not Phoenix, but close enough that I'm listing them.

Dick's Speed-O-Tach - "A" - TUDrewser: Took my speedometer in to get the odometer working again. For the same price, they did a complete refurb on the whole thing...new lights, cleaned up the back panel, replaced the turn signal light film, and fixed the odometer. Looks absolutely fantastic and was very reasonably priced. Fast turnaround too. Ranked at A, but could get an A+ with more opinions to back it up. volksworker: Use the McKellips location, Excellent work on VW and Porsche instruments

Doug's Bugs and Bunnies - "A" - Full service, air and water cooled and they now sell parts. New location on Extension, South of Main St in Mesa. Misc: Many other good posts on the forum. Doug's been doing this for a while. tardo: had electrical issues after picking up from them, lacking attention to detail (more comments in his post, page 2, Doug's replies to it as well) volksworker: Repairs...Fish and Doug know their stuff and will work with you. Be sure and meet there newest employee Gilbert [the parts guy]...great guy. Type 4 and Vanagon friendly.

Karl's Customs - "A" - Good shop, good recommendations, couple locations. Sounds like they do quality work with decent prices. Sell longblocks for about $800 with core. Mike is apparently the guy to talk to. TUDrewser: I've had good experiences with their parts. However, have also had parts that they've ordered for me and then never called, or found out they'd forgotten. Still a good shop, especiall for hard-to-find parts in-stock. tardo: They've treated me pretty well. The work is usually done right, it gets done when they say it will and usually pretty close to the price I was quoted. When they screw up they try to make it right, and that counts for a lot to me. I can't speak to the Mesa store, but the Phoenix one I like. I'd give them an A-. volksworker: In Mesa/Phoenix for 30 years, oldest one around. Stocks serious amounts of parts, services all air-cooled and all VW (including water-cooled). More comments on page 3. 52HoffmanSplit: ONLY place in town that stocks REAL quality german parts consistently... They only sell quality parts.. Service department has performed some jobs for me and are extremely talented, such as changing the thrust on my align bore bearings when I rebuilt my 25hp recently. Use them with confidence.

Kars - "A" - turkish: Older guy named Kurt runs the place, he kind of sponsers the car club I am in. Not a whole lot of new parts but he repairs ANYTHING VW. Definetly a good place to get used bay window parts, he has at least 15 parts bays there along with piles of parts from all other ACVW's. Kurt has always done me and my friends right. Everett: I've bought some stuff from Kurt at shows and at his shop. He's a nice guy. I've never had him do any actual work but he did help me clear out an intake manifold I bought from him.

Ken Moore of European Automotive - "A" - Desertbusman: He did my heads around 8 years ago and they are holding up great. Along with the other work needed so I could assemble it. Because of his prior proven good work I recently had him build some heads for the bus. He specializes in VW and Porsche. Good to deal with him again and I am confident that I have some more nice heads. 2102 N. 24th St., Phoenix, 602-685-9303. volksworker: VW machine work, Kenny is good, quick and extremely helpful. 52HoffmanSplit: Kenny does an excellent job and has rebuilt heads for me on several ocassions.. he does great work!

"B" RATING
BAP Imports - "B+ for parts, D for longblocks" - TUDrewser: Good and convenient for parts, may be bad for longblocks...but don't believe they even sell longblocks any more. Heard their previous longblocks are a bit sketchy based on experiences read on here. Their machine shop has since closed. I've personally had pretty good experiences with knowledgable staff, though not impressed with some of the Empi products. [email protected] Lots of bus parts in stock. The key to getting good help at the BAP counter is finding the guys that really like VWs, they go out of their way. halatos: Recommends talking to Lyle in addition to John at Country Club location. However, more bad experience with BAP engines, endplay going out of spec early, cracked heads. volksworker: Parts only. Ok if you want simple parts and know what you are doing . 97 percent of their counterpeople don't know VW or are so bitter they dont care to answer questions etc. In Mesa, John and Jeff know their stuff. Ray in Scottsdale/Tempe is good also. They dont screen their parts for quality so you need to do it yourself...avoid the chinese switches, carbs, etc...they have recently cut their VW stock and started stocking domestic brake parts instead..too bad.

Carol's Foreign Cars - "B+" - Everett: "Carroll's Foreign Car Service has had some good feedback on the Type 3 list from various people as of a few years ago. One person had them build an engine. " volksworker: have heard good things in the past but dont know enough to say these days. West side.

Competition Engineering - "B+" - This is a hard ranking for me...I've emailed a lot with them and they've been very helpful, but takes upwords of a week to get a response. Much faster to call. Heard the work is ok, but also heard of someone who had a longblock from them that only lasted like 10k miles before giving in, and that the work wasn't very good. Fluke? Perhaps. vwdragracer: Good place to get good service work done. tardo: Wasn't impressed at all the only time I took my car there. Way overpriced and took forever...I'd give them a C-, and naive customer beware. volksworker: Great for high performance engines, not as much for daily driver. "Dan is the man". Innovative. 52HoffmanSplit: Dan is definitely the man... There is no place else a person who owns a Splitwindow can go if they need that odd part... I have purchased oils fills, 25hp cylinders and various parts from Dan. He is a quality guy, who stands by his work.

Vee Dub Motorworks - "B+" - Full restoration work, collision, body, paint, interior, engines, machine shop, turbos, tune-ups, parts. Where Tony W. (formerly of TNT Auto Service/TW Engineering, neither of which is in service any longer) is now working . This rec is for Tony, as Vee Dub MW appears to be a fairly new shop. Tony comes highly recommended from previous work and previous shops. Was TW Engineering in Cali, moved to AZ to become TNT Auto, closed that and now works for Vee Dub. Rating was tough...I'm choosing to lower to "B+" until shop is more established...kind of like how a nice restaurant loses a star when the chef dies. However, the newness and lack of other recs is the only reason it's not an "A" as Tony is known for his good service and quality work. Contact info: 4970 N 7th Ave. (7th ave & camelback), Phoenix, Arizona 85013, 602-264-4434

A Smooth Finish - "B" - TUDrewser: Used them to paint our bug. Not the 7 coat, show paint job, but did a quality job for reasonable price. Plus, they come to you if you want (they'll paint in your garage or back yard), or you can take it to some space they have where they'll do it all. They do body work, sanding, finishing etc. Good work for a budget conscious person.

"C" RATING
None

"D" RATING
German Auto Repair - "D" - TUDrewser No personal experience, but was told to stay away from them. jnamio: Had dealings with them years ago. Every time I took it in to have the clutch cable adjusted, he'd try to tell me that I needed the entire clutch replaced, yadda yadda yadda. I took it to Competition for a second opinion. Didn't need replacement. Got the distinct impression that he was trying to pull something over on me because I was female and he didn't think I'd know the difference.Desertbusman: Lady friend took G A her 12,000 mile old BAP new engine because valve adjustments started going haywire. Told him I thought it sounded like a cam or lifter problem. He said no, it needed another set of new Gene Berg heads. $700 later still valve adjustment and noise problem. Took it back in and he handed her a different size carb jet. Joke. VW performance found Bad cam, lifters and the new case lifter bores were gone.

"F" RATING
GEX - "F" - Had to throw it in. Not a local company, but they sell longblocks. Crappy longblocks. Nothing good to say about them. I added this because I almost got hooked into one of their longblocks. DON'T DO IT! Do a search if you want a reason.

VW Island - OUT OF BUSINESS- VW Island is involved in several law suits for fraud and theft. Read posts on page 3 for more info. Is now out of business.

Other notes:
Wedge VW - Not enough votes yet - volksworker:Chris and JD are highly experienced and honest. Blown up supers are ok. Repairs only.

H & M Motorworks - Not enough votes yet - 60freak: Great friendly local shop that has been around for 20+ years... Their ACVW ace mechanic "Mark" is very helpful and knowledgable and knows what he is doing around ACVW's...passed emsissions first time around and I would highly recommend this shop if you are having trouble getting thru emissions as they have it all figured out. Off of Cave Creek Rd just north of Greenway accross the street from Pawns Plus.

Mayer vdub [Prescott area] Not enough votes yet - volksworker: Dennis is a good guy and knows VWs

Last edited on 1/22/2008

Last edited by TUDrewser on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:48 pm; edited 43 times in total
vwdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had personal experiance with most of the shops listed.

T-N-T "A+" no questions asked Tony is the man

Compititon Engineering Also a good place to get service work done "A"

VW Island "A" does a great job of restorations. I know for a fact they DO NOT do engine work in house. I know Jeff has been looking for a quality engine builder for a while.

VW PERFORMANCE a great place for machine work or a STOCK motor. BECAREFUL if your looking for something HIGH PERFORMANCE.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a company called "A Smooth Finish" to paint our bug. They're a mobile paint shop that specializes in RV's, but also do cars and trucks.

Probably wouldn't necessarily be a 100 point/bake on car finish, but their service is excellent. They've done all our body work, sanding, etc. We haven't seen the final paint yet, but today saw the primer and sealer going on. They've kept in touch with us at least weekly, usually 2-3 times a week even if nothing has really changed. I think they specialize in the Mesa, but will probably go other places. They also give a 7 year warranty on the job

You'll be able to see their work in my restoration thread linked in my signature. I couldn't be happier with their professionalism, their flexibility, their interest in the job (caring about the car they're working on), and the job they're doing.
wickedwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a BAP long block about five years ago. Put it in my bus and drove it for about four years before selling it a year ago. The motor was still running strong. It was used as my daily driver and road bus. The only problem I had was after about three years it started sucking in valve cover gaskets, put original German valve covers on it and solved the problem. Also they have a lot of bus parts in stock, that means alot when you are working on a bus and want to drive it the next day.So I would give them an A for parts in stock and service. The key to getting good help at the BAP counter is finding the guys that really like VWs, they go out of their way. Never done business with Carl's Kustom but I have talked to Tom Butterfly (I think that's his name) and he seems to be a stand up reasonable guy. I like them and they put on a great show and a kick'n swap. But I must mention one business that I really like but is not in the Phoenix area. That is Chirco in Tucson with good prices, fast delivery, knowledge and respect. I give them an A+ and only add them to this thread for other shops to consider as a model for good business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The key to getting good help at the BAP counter is finding the guys that really like VWs, they go out of their way.

Agreed...that makes a big difference at BAP. You'll know when you have a good service guy at BAP: you end up spending more because they help you remember all the parts you "forgot" Wink
wickedwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Man, that's funny! On a serious note though, I go in there knowing what I need. List in hand and money tight already I know I am going in and leaving with only what I need. I like the BAP near Cactus and I-17 the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Laughing Man, that's funny! On a serious note though, I go in there knowing what I need. List in hand and money tight already I know I am going in and leaving with only what I need. I like the BAP near Cactus and I-17 the best.

Yeah, I go in with a list too. Doesn't work for me. Wink
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my engine back from Steve at VW Performance last week...quality work. He's a one man shop so it took a while to get it done, but when it was finished it was top notch work. Can wait to get it in the car and running. His knowledge combined with his close tolerances leads to a quality project.

Also have Doug's Buggs and Bunnies doing some rewireing and other small tasks for us. Real impressed with their knowledge and skills. We've been working with "Fish" and he's a blast. Loves VW's and knows his stuff.

Karl's Kustom's has been good for parts...a guy at BAP even recommended them to me when they didn't have a part I needed.
Docsooner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve at VW Performance is the real deal. Just got mine back from him and was well worth the wait. He is busy for a reason!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's great that we have Steve around here. He clearly knows his stuff, that's for sure. And in addition, he's a great guy. And the more well deserved positive posts he's getting here on the Samba, the longer I wait also. But it's a good wait because he delivers the quality and expertise. Glad that he doesn't "ram" thru the work. Some of his engines will be on the cross-country Berg cruise in a few days.

Additionally, there is someone else in Phoenix that also knows his stuff. He's been building engines for many years. Another one man shop.
Ken Moore of European Automotive.
2102 N. 24th St., Phoenix
602-685-9303
He did my heads around 8 years ago and they are holding up great. Along with the other work needed so I could assemble it. Because of his prior proven good work I recently had him build some heads for the bus. He specializes in VW and Porsche. Good to deal with him again and I am confident that I have some more nice heads.

I recommend both Steve and Kenny.

But I also have a list of others who did junk work or were a rip-off.
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original post has been updated. Would be curious to hear who to stay away from...can add them to the list as warnings.
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So tell me what you think about the quality of work on this resto job....

sent to the shop for a professional job on repair for rust, add glass w/rubber, and prime for paint.

WTF is the bubble stuff on the top of the door??? Doesn't $700 take care of getting rid of that???
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, that sucks. Doesn't spraying rust-o-leum over rust take care of it? Rolling Eyes
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a body guy but shouldn't that stuff be sanded down first BEFORE you shoot with primer??? Shouldn't the mechanisms be removed BEFORE you shoot with primer??? Correct me if I'm wrong....
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shop rankings in Phoenix, AZ Reply with quote

TUDrewser wrote:
I've done a lot of searching and question asking here and in local clubs and these are the shops I've found. Figured I'd list my research results to help others who may be wondering. If you disagree or have any additional input go ahead and post and I'll update the main list.

VW Performance - "A+" From what I hear, does the best engine work in the valley. Does not sell longblocks/rebuilds, but will rebuild your engine or do any engine work for you. Reasonable prices, but tends to be busy. Steve is the guy to talk to here. Have Personally used him for engine work. Uses Mahle pistons for stock work, reasonable prices, balances within .2 grams. I really like what I hear when I call him...been doing this for like 25 years and knows his stuff, stock and performance. Several other in this thread echo similiar approval.

Doug's Bugs and Bunnies - "A" - I've been real impressed with their knowledge and their desire to work with the customer. We were on a tight timeline and they crossed off days in the work week to just work on our project. Quality work, quality service.

Karl's Customs - "A" - Good shop, good recommendations, several locations. Sounds like they do quality work with decent prices. Sell longblocks for about $800 with core. Mike is apparently the guy to talk to. I've had good experiences with their parts.

Ken Moore of European Automotive - "A" - Desertbusman: He did my heads around 8 years ago and they are holding up great. Along with the other work needed so I could assemble it. Because of his prior proven good work I recently had him build some heads for the bus. He specializes in VW and Porsche. Good to deal with him again and I am confident that I have some more nice heads. 2102 N. 24th St., Phoenix, 602-685-9303

TNT Auto Service - "A" - Sounds like they do quality work, but from talking with them prices are more expensive. vwdragracer: "Talk to Tony".

BAP Imports - "A-" - Good for parts, bad for engines (?) Nice to have a local source for parts though. Heard their longblocks are a bit sketchy due to someone having a bad experience. Their machine shop has since closed. [email protected] said he's had a great experience with one of their engines. I've personally had pretty good experiences with knowledgable staff, though not impressed with some of the Empi products.

Carol's Foreign Cars - "B+" - Everett: "Carroll's Foreign Car Service has had some good feedback on the Type 3 list from various people as of a few years ago. One person had them build an engine. "

A Smooth Finish - "B+" - Used them to paint our bug. Not the 7 coat, show paint job, but did a quality job for reasonable price. Plus, they come to you if you want (they'll paint in your garage or back yard), or you can take it to some space they have where they'll do it all. They do body work, sanding, finishing etc. Good work for a budget conscious person.

VW Island - "B" - vwdragracer : does a great job of restorations. I know for a fact they DO NOT do engine work in house. I know Jeff has been looking for a quality engine builder for a while.

Competition Engineering - "B" - This is a hard ranking for me...I've emailed a lot with them and they've been very helpful, but takes upwords of a week to get a response. Much faster to call. Heard the work is ok, but also heard of someone who had a longblock from them that only lasted like 10k miles before giving in, and that the work wasn't very good. Fluke? Perhaps. vwdragracer: Good place to get good service work done.

German Auto Repair - "C+" - Complete hearsay, but was told to stay away from them. Nothing to back it up, but nothing to say otherwise either. Opinions welcome.

GEX - "F" - Had to throw it in. Not a local company, but they sell longblocks. Crappy longblocks. Nothing good to say about them. I added this because I almost got hooked into one of their longblocks. DON'T DO IT! Do a search if you want a reason.

Last edited on 5/8/2006

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171267&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Might want to re-grade... Confused
Be sure to follow "all" links... Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one and only call to Competition Engineering was a disapointment. I was looking for a part and the guy who answered the phone had no business doing that job. Short, rude and didn't know his ass from a gasket. I was also put on hold several times. I know it was only one call but....

BAP is a great local resource. (A+) I have walked in needing all sorts of odd ball parts for a bug engine and they always know what I am talking about and have the parts in stock. I have used the one in Mesa and S. Tucson and am always impressed.

I also give a strong A+ to Chirco in Tucson. Joe always is working the counter and is very friendly, knowledgable and shows true appreciation for my business.

Karls Customs shop in Mesa needs a remodel. It's kind of a dump. The service is OK at best and the store needs to be cleaned up. If BAP doesn't have what I need then I might go there or order from Chirco.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
VW Performance - "A+" From what I hear, does the best engine work in the valley. Does not sell longblocks/rebuilds, but will rebuild your engine or do any engine work for you. Reasonable prices, but tends to be busy. Steve is the guy to talk to here. Have Personally used him for engine work. Uses Mahle pistons for stock work, reasonable prices, balances within .2 grams. I really like what I hear when I call him...been doing this for like 25 years and knows his stuff, stock and performance. Several other in this thread echo similiar approval.

this cant be said enough, but some clarification...steve has been wrenching on dubs since his teens. opened his first shop in san jose in 1980ish. been doing this far longer then 25 years. i have had two engines built by him and know of several others. and he knows his stuff very well...everything from pure vintage stock (hell the return to the fatherland tour in the late 90's paid his expenses so they could have access to his mechanical knowledge durring the trek across country and europe) to building reliable high performance type 1 based engines for street and strip use that will easily hit the 100k marker and beyond.
jnamio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my engine installed by Chris at Wedge Vee-Dubs in Phoenix, and can't say enough about the great service. Didn't see Wedge Vee-Dubs on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jnamio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Auto Repair

Had dealings with them years ago when they were still located in Tempe, with my previous 66 Bug.

Every time I took it in to have the clutch cable adjusted, he'd try to tell me that I needed the entire clutch replaced, yadda yadda yadda. I took it to Competition for a second opinion. Didn't need replacement. Got the distinct impression that he was trying to pull something over on me because I was female and he didn't think I'd know the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Auto Repair and BAP

Lady friend took G A her 12,000 mile old BAP new engine because valve adjustments started going haywire. Told him I thought it sounded like a cam or lifter problem. He said no, it needed another set of new Gene Berg heads. $700 later still valve adjustment and noise problem. Took it back in and he handed her a different size carb jet. Joke

Took it to VW Performance Steve and the engine was near junk. Bad cam, lifters and the new case lifter bores were gone. She finally ended up with a nice engine.

So one out of three wasn't a looser.

O yea! and then there was Competition Engineering. Another joke-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: