Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop rankings in Phoenix, Arizona
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: VW Performance Reply with quote

This are looking up. Steve is feeling better, and he called me today to say that he is close to completing my Ghia. I got a phone call from Steve!!! woooohooooooo!
ESchey56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XXX/Rx/RnR wrote:
Dan Lawson at Competition Engineering. His shop rates are high, but I wouldn't care if he done all the work. Its the other people (Eric is one of then) thats doesn't know whats hes doing. Got home 3 different times with gas leaks! Kinked lines or no clamps. Dumbass could of burned my bus to the ground. I don't understand why Dan hasn't fired him. I know hes cost Dan alot of time having to do things over time and time again. I'm not going to pay 80.00 bucks a hour for some fuckup kid to OJT on my bus. If I ever need another engine, I'll call Raby. All my other repairs I guess I'll do um myself. I work 7 days a week so I value my time off. I'll see ya in Flag at the end of the month DBMan. Now you know the rest of the story!

James

Your post really says a lot about your character and who you are. When you were recently in the shop having an oil leak fixed, I was chatting with you about flag and you were being a descent guy. Then you get on the forum and publicly slander me. If you have a problem with me, why didn't you say something to me then. I wouldn't have guessed you to be an internet tough guy. OJT, really? I have worked for Dan for 6 years now, do you really think he would keep me if I was a waste of his time and doing shotty work? I have worked on a lot of VW's in that time and have never heard anything like this from another customer. We have had issues with your bus in the past, and it has been a struggle at times, but we've made right on everything and not charged you labor for it. But to come on here and call me a fuck up and a dumbass, real classy. I take pride in what I do and stand by my work, as do many other people, and their cars I've worked on. Oh, and I don't go on forums and talk shit about customers, whether they deserve it or not.

Eric
Competition Engineering
Buddy Hale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can 100 percent stant by Erics side,as he has helped me with so many custom 1 off parts that he him self had made. He works for me part time{aside from being a flamming homo} his work is truely top notch. And to top it off a super nice person to be around, honest, hardworking, and cares about his work. That being said no one is perfect, parts and things go wrong its how you handle your fuck ups that make you who you are. I don't know the person on here calling eric and ce names nor do i care to ever know him, But if your so unhappy take care of it like a human. Because sir or mam if you your self are perfect i do apoligise to you. But comming on here and degrading ce like this is a shame. Sir or mam guestion to you when you mess up at your job or life, insted of who ever comming to you so you can make it right, how would you like it if they went on the internet and called you names and drug your name threw the mud? Oh the joys of volkswagen owners.

Buddy "the bondo king" Hale
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, sometimes the truth hurts. Still leaking oil, still have a bent collector, my transmissiom almost burned up, still have to rerun the cables to the invertor, when the CV's were done got the bus back and I was getting ATF in the gear oil from the transmission. How many times did the engine get pulled to do a simple fuel line change? I could go on and on. Is this bad luck or poor workmanship. In an earilier post I said CE makes good or tries too. After leaving your shop the last time got home and the oil cap was left off. As simple as that is, its still part of the job. How many more exsamples do you want? Have I been singled out? Only way to fix the oil leak is to split the case. Dan never offered. You going to buy me a new collector you bent in the vice welding on it? I had to pay to put seals in the transmission. It wasn,t leaking when I gave to CE to do the CV's, but thats the way I got it back. Where's my old case from the last engine before the cam failed? And I still can't belive I got the bus back after the rebuild not full of oil and ATF! WTF! How would you react? What ya got to say? What can you say? Real techs get it right the first time. Not the second, third, or forth try. I don't have airplanes falling out of the skies after I release parts into service.
silver billy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona Transaxle: I recently had ATE custom build a single sidecover IRS Gearbox for my street bug. Bill and his team are consistent in delivering an outstanding product in a reasonable amount of time. We (Karl's Mesa) have never had a problem with one of his transaxles. While they may not be the cheapest, they are definitely the best, although their prices are very reasonable as well.

Blair and Son: Jan is extremely knowledgeable, and has a huge stash of otherwise unobtainable parts. Again, not the cheapest, but usually a good value.

Bugzyla Fabrication: While I can't speak to the service side of things, I do know that Daryll & crew are talented fabricators, and honest people. Definitely Innovative, and unafraid to push the envelope.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill us in on all the changes that have taken place within Karl's in Mesa in the last year. We know that about all of the old people are gone. What's the background experience of the new people? Last I checked Karl's website has been dead in the water for a long time although it said it was going to be up and running which it sure wasn't. With some of the bits of talk here and there the only good thing I've heard is that Mike is still in the shop and everyone always has real good things to say about him.

Bill of Ariz. Transazle has a good reputation and is ia real nice guy to deal with. I'm going to get another trans from him shortly. The work is impressive.

Glad to hear a good report about Kenny of European Automotive from a guy traveling through with a broken bus looking for engine help. Kenny knows his stuff, runs a tight shop and has been real consistant over many years. Had him do a small job a few months ago and was again very pleased. After 12 years I don't know if I'd be content with my cylinder heads unless Kenny had done them.

The guy that started this topic must be one of the guys that got started in the VW hobby and then bagged the whole thing in a short period of time. Happens a lot.
silver billy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fill us in on all the changes that have taken place within Karl's in Mesa in the last year. We know that about all of the old people are gone. What's the background experience of the new people?

With all due respect, I'm not here to air anyone's dirty laundry. What I will say is that Karl and the store have been through a lot of garbage. With that said, I encourage you and everyone else to stop by and talk with us. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. As for me, My name is Ethan, I love VW's. I'm intent on creating the best experience for my customers, and making the best Karl's I can. Mike is the same way.

European Automotive: Kenny is the man when it comes to VW machine work. He is quick and very reasonably priced. He does aircooled and watercooled machine work.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blair and Son: Jan is extremely knowledgeable, and has a huge stash of otherwise unobtainable parts. Again, not the cheapest, but usually a good value.

I bought parts from Jan yesterday. Prices may have been a tad high, but I would not have made the purchase if I thought they were not fair. We talked for some time and Jan is nice guy with a large inventory. The place seems a mess but he knows where every part is. When I'm back in Phoenix next year I'll stop by again.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan's quite the guy. He's at all our shows. Did you see his little black crazy bug? Do a Google aerial search of his yard and drool. However, City of Phoenix is clamping down on the fire hazards of our salvage yards and Blairs yard might not be around in a couple years. Get you parts now while you can. I cringed a few years back watching a big yard full of classic Mustangs burn and thinking about what if that had been dubs.
You were right about desert parts. Steel parts are good but plastic and rubber are pretty much destroyed because of the heat and dryness.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Google birdseye search before I decided to go, and I just had to look. He said he was trying for the "Old Buick" look with all the over riders. He's also got a badass custom notch show car. There is only so much one can cram in a suit case. I hope he's there next year. It's hard to find good used parts in S. Fl. at a reasonable price.
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
The guy that started this topic must be one of the guys that got started in the VW hobby and then bagged the whole thing in a short period of time. Happens a lot.

Never bagged the hobby, just the board for a while Wink Had two more kids since then and the message boards had to be let go for a while. I wouldn't say "I'm back", but I definitely am a regular browser. And my '69 bug is running beautiful...just put a newly rebuilt 34 PICT 3 on last night, rebuilt by Dougs Buggs. Nice work, as usual Smile

EDIT: Just realized I need to update my sig...sold the Ghia last year. Man, maybe it has been too long... Confused
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane on this board had good VW repair success at Sheldon's Auto Repair on 12th Ave in Phoenix. For non air-cooled VWs repairs I've been happy with Smart Automotive on North Cave Creek.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
erlawson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove by Karl's in Mesa today and there was a sign up saying that the location is closed (actually said they have moved, but the "new" address is the Phoenix store).

Eddie

TOOB Member #13
BSQUARE wrote:
...When bugs mature, they become type 3s.

Ghostwagens
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erlawson wrote:
Drove by Karl's in Mesa today and there was a sign up saying that the location is closed (actually said they have moved, but the "new" address is the Phoenix store).

Eddie

Just a sign of the economic times!!! Rolling Eyes
erlawson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGEE68 wrote:
erlawson wrote:

Eddie

I know it sucks (both them closing at the economic times), I had been going there for parts since the late 80's. Well at least Doug's has parts now.

Eddie

TOOB Member #13
BSQUARE wrote:
...When bugs mature, they become type 3s.

Ghostwagens
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erlawson wrote:
BGEE68 wrote:
erlawson wrote:

Eddie

I know it sucks (both them closing at the economic times), I had been going there for parts since the late 80's. Well at least Doug's has parts now.

Eddie

As far as Karls and the other VW shops closing, I think it has more to do with these cars aging coupled with less folks driving them on a daily basis. I grew up in S. California in the 70's and 80's. Air cooled VW's were everywhere back then. I remember when the air cooled VW shops started shutting there doors back in the late 80's as the VW's were being replaced with Toyota's, Honda's and other imports with more comfort, better gas mileage and AC!

I'm really surprised any shop can stay open today dealing with only air cooled VW'S. I talked to Joe at Chirco's a couple of years ago about his business. I really got the feeling if he hadn't gotten so heavily involved with the internet busines, he wouldn't be open now either..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just saved me a trip to Karls Mesa in the morning. Was going to go there to get a couple goodies. Business might be way down because of the economy but I don't think they sucessfully recovered from all their prior mess. Just so Bill and crew at Karl's PHX keep up the good work. Been dealing there for 15 years now. Always good.
BTW my new bus IRS trans from Bill at AZ Transaxle is great.
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bummed to hear it too...Karl's in Phoenix is too far of a drive most of the time for me. Guess I can still go to BAP for small stuff I need quick, or looks like online ordering from here out.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AutohausAZ.com quite a bit. Usually the order shows up the next day. And cheaper than driving over to Phoenix to pick it up.
TUDrewser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
I use AutohausAZ.com quite a bit. Usually the order shows up the next day. And cheaper than driving over to Phoenix to pick it up.

Good to know...actually didn't know about that one. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: