Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Porsche engine
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deep_Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT would be a good junkyard find...

I'm still waiting on the Civic Hybrid Wrecked in the Rear to show up... Shocked
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep_Blue wrote:
I did the 914 swap cause the original 81 westy motor leaked a quart a mile...

The 914 wasn't much better...a month later I had to put in a 78 bus motor. Then that one overheated and blew up.

Waterboxers are so much better. I'll never go back to aircooled.

Side question...does Subaru still put H4 motors into the new cars? I think that they had them in the old Legacys, but don't have a clue on new ones.

There was something wrong with your fuel injection, probably, to ruin 3 motors in a row like that. Presuming, of course, that they were good to begin with.
a properly set up 2 liter a/c vanagon should last at least 100k miles with no problems. Unfortunately VERY many develop a too lean condition from the Temp I sensor (the one in the AFM!) and it goes undiagnosed. the valves and pistons burn, seats fall out, etc.
Even the repair shop only fixes the symptoms, not the cause. A good air-fuel gauge on the dash would be the best prevention. Or CARBS! (Not seriously!)
BTW, Subarus are about the only logical conversions. Well built, strong, plentiful, fit well, low cost. I've not done it myself, but will!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deep_Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...the first one had dual webers, the second one had a two barrel single carb, and the thrid one had the same carb as the second one. The FI system was long gone by the time I got it.

I like FI a hella better than carbs...even though you can't tinker with it too much. I used to be the other way around until that 81 Nightmare Bus. Now my 85 FI system is a dream compared to that...

When this 1.9 goes I am totally going Suby...
haggardrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna dig this topic up... 944 in a vanagon? anyone done it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought a scrapped out 928 with the thought of transplanting the engine to my van. It wouldv'e been fun, tough but fun! As for making the 944 work, I'd say yes it can be done! We beastified a 78 Datsun pick up, squeezed a chevy 350 into it and the ony non datsun part was the homemade bell housing adapter, engine mounts and the engine. Ran like nobodys buisness, it even outran the stock 9" clutch after about 2500 miles! Got to be careful, if you want it to last do it right!
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned one, but I'm a big fan of 944's. I helped a friend rebuild a 944 turbo motor and the thing is huge. Putting the clutch and driveshaft in was interesting, too. This same friend told me not to get one when I was considering a late 80's na 944. Parts are soooooo expensive, r39o can probably say something about that. I recently did a tune up on a Cayenne at work, and the price of the oil and air filters pissed me off.

AFAIK the 944 2.5's are bulletproof, but the 2.7 had some issues. You'd get more bang for your buck with a VW/Audi 20v turbo though, or A LOT for your buck with an ABA motor.
istewart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody done a late-model water-cooled Porsche flat-6 from a Boxster or 996/997? I know the flat-6 from the Subaru SVX has been done, so I'm wondering if the more powerful Porsche engines are doable too. They'd be more expensive (in some cases much more), but they're probably easier to get ahold of than a wrecked SVX... and with a crazy project idea like a race Vanagon, should money really be an object anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: