Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zarwerks shop spy cam ....
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Zarwerks shop spy cam .... Reply with quote

{EDIT: With the permission of the site administrator, I have chosen to use this thread to show various techniques and methods I use in my shop on an ongoing basis, such that others might be able to benefit and possibly use them as well. This is not intended to promote or showcase any of my Zarwerks products and no business will be discussed here. I can be reached via e-mail at [email protected]

- John H }

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab

Last edited by johnshenry on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, would that be the 53 only manifold that I need for my vert?
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or would it be the one that I need for my hard top? Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. I'll be making 3-4 of them this pass.

Can anybody who has on original (Bob, Dave?) tell me what markings they have on the jacket. The original one I have (seen behind) is a 36hp one built for a 28mm carb. I know that the original "zwitter" ones were for 25hp, wondering what they had for logos, markings, etc. on the jacket.

Also, the original one I have has the "grooved" jacket, to the 25hp versions have those? I could pretty easily file that into my repros....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look for you tonight John........I don't remember any. Confused
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. You might need to use a mirror, the later ones (36hp) were embossed on the back of the jacket.

Or you could justpull the intake and send it to me for inspection Laughing

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Thanks Bob. You might need to use a mirror, the later ones (36hp) were embossed on the back of the jacket.

I'll try the mirror. Wink
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

Can anybody who has on original (Bob, Dave?) tell me what markings they have on the jacket. The original one I have (seen behind) is a 36hp one built for a 28mm carb. I know that the original "zwitter" ones were for 25hp, wondering what they had for logos, markings, etc. on the jacket.

Also, the original one I have has the "grooved" jacket, to the 25hp versions have those? I could pretty easily file that into my repros....

My 53 is a 25 horse but it has an accelerator pump carb, is that correct? Or should it have the non-accelerator pump carbs like the split bugs?
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it to be with the pump. I have a 28pci carb on my car and a while back had it critiqued by Bob. He said it was correct or 'fine'. (fine means good with his high standards Wink)
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggen wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

My 53 is a 25 horse but it has an accelerator pump carb, is that correct? Or should it have the non-accelerator pump carbs like the split bugs?

The pump is correct.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Interesting. Because this is a "transitional" intake. I believe it came after the 36hp style looking one, that had 25hp endcastings and 26mm carb flange (no flare on the carb riser tube just under the flange, ID of the flange is 26mm). So it (the "'53 Only" one) for a 25hp engine, but with a 28mm (accel pump carb, flared riser) .

The one that came after it was the "701E" 36hp intake.

While the heat riser that came on the 25hp/26mm intake and "701E" intakes was basically the same shape, the tubing is of a different diameter. The tubing on the 701E is thicker, and greater wall thickness.

The heat riser on the "original" one I have seen in the pic is thin, however the end castings are for 36hp, not 25. Go figure.

I'm going to make up a table that explains all the changes, and post it at the Zarwerks site. I'll have you guys review it, hopefully you are not too shy to point out anything that mightbe incorrect.......

Laughing

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

There doesn't seem to be anything there.....I used the mirror and felt along with my fingers where I could and NOTHING. No part number or VW stamp embossed; at least, none I could note. The "groove" between the two pipes is more pronouced through the jacket.....unlike the 36 that doesn't have much definition at all. I have a 36 and it is not the same. Even on the front, the jacket defines the two pipes and does not obscure them at all; almost like a wet towel would show the shape of the two different pipes.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Zarwerks shop spy cam .... Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

Looking at your picture again......the one in the back shows the distinction between the two pipes through the jacket. Is that a real one? Because it really looks correct. Confused
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

Can anybody who has on original (Bob, Dave?) tell\0\05{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0hey have on the jacket. The original one I have (seen behind) is a 36hp one built for a 28mm carb. I know that the original "zwitter" ones were for 25hp, wondering what they had for logos, markings, etc. on the jacket.

Now I see what you mean.......mine looks just that.....at least from the front.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob.

I actually have a 36hp one ("701E") with that pronounced groove, and I started to use it to make the '53 one, then go figure, I find a crack in the jacket on the back! Doesn't that suck!

I could actually file the groove in and after a bead blast, it would look pretty good.

So, Bob, you said you have the groove, no numbers or logos that you can feel.

And your engine is 25hp right?

And do you have a 28mm carb flange with the flare under it?

Thanks, I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

Dave Haviland, if you are reading, you have one of these too, what does yours have???

Thanks...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Thanks Bob.

I actually have a 36hp one ("701E") with that pronounced groove, and I started to use it to make the '53 one, then go figure, I find a crack in the jacket on the back! Doesn't that suck!

I could actually file the groove in and after a bead blast, it would look pretty good.

So, Bob, you said you have the groove, no numbers or logos that you can feel.

And your engine is 25hp right?

And do you have a 28mm carb flange with the flare under it?

Thanks, I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

Dave Haviland, if you are reading, you have one of these too, what does yours have???

Thanks...

That's the way I see it John. Pronounced grove, no markings, 25hp, 28mm carb flange with slight flare.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more pics (from my crappy "shop" camera).

Finished the butt welds on the first one, LOTS of flat filing. Made a second and cut parts for a third. Still need to finish the welds, mill the endcastings for 25hp, media blast, paint and bake.

The heatrisers have to be blocked BTW, as the heatriser is dimple-rolled along its top edge to sit "squished" against the bottom of the intake runner, the "extension" heatriser section cannot be butt welded where it touches the intake runner. While it is unlikely that exhaust gases would escape out of that tiny crack (which you can't see), I cannot take risk. Even if the amount of gas that escaped was small and harmless, it would probably discolor the intake runner.

Since most people only drive these early cars on warm, nice days, it shouldn't matter. Most people will have driven these cars for years with completely blocked heat risers and never even knew it.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
VDubMattStuart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Very Happy Thank god for guys like you John. You're a talented man.
RickC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. You are really doing a great job on these manifolds. I found another one .... 26mm head and 28mm carb, and I think there are some numbers on the rear of the jacket. I'll try to check it out tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for your efforts at Zarwerks.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you might jump in here Rick. Laughing

Thanks for you paitience, the first one of these is yours.....

Should be done in a couple weeks....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: