Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the Turbo Diesel swap requires--you had to adapted the stock Synco pipes to the diesel engine--right?

Then the pipes have to be the same.

VW didn't offer that option, so the stock Syncro pipes must be in the Van.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I just got a set of stainless steel coolant pipes from Bus Depot. They are TP 304L stainless steel and the wall is 0.0635" thick They have the beaded ends>>

Now let me set the record straight here, regarding wall thickness & rolled beaded ends.

There is not a bead roller manufactred IN THE WORLD that will roll anything heavier than 0.0335 wall pipe.

It's somthing that just isn't made.

How do I know this?

I have been on the phone with every equipment manufacture on the planet trying to locate this sort of tool, and it ain't gonna happen--every one of the mfg's told me straight out--"No such Thing"

Last edited by Terry Kay on Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<The pips being sold by go west, Bus Depot and Volks Cafe are all coming from the same manufacture in Germany.>>

Not any more.

I'll let the vendor make the announcement when they get their load of exact fit, heavy wall stainless coolant pipes, with high pressure, high temp for the splice, silicone hose & stainless clamps.

And the gap at the splice isn't even worth mentioning--there isn't more than a 16th of an inch in the middle.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEEZUZ F'in Christmas...

I just read this whole post. if I didn't have enuf reasons to love all you vanagon crazies, I sure do now!!!
and after waiting for the last 3 weeks for my stupid order from BD, I'm fed up with them myself, I could have driven there and picked it up in less time. Todd.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could flair and invert flair a heavier wall ss tube no prob. just a little fire, cone and inverted cone die.

a weld bead around the end of a heavier tube would be faster and easier to do though.

I'd like to think 0.0335 wall ss tube would last quite a while though really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mysticalclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I measured the pipes from bus depot when I got them and they were 0.0635" thick and they have the beaded ends. If this is impossible then I'm starting to believe in miracles. Also, unless it was an accident that bus depot included all of the clamps with my order than they are included.

Terry Kay wrote:
<<I just got a set of stainless steel coolant pipes from Bus Depot. They are TP 304L stainless steel and the wall is 0.0635" thick They have the beaded ends>>

Now let me set the record straight here, regarding wall thickness & rolled beaded ends.

There is not a bead roller manufactred IN THE WORLD that will roll anything heavier than 0.0335 wall pipe.

It's somthing that just isn't made.

How do I know this?

I have been on the phone with every equipment manufacture on the planet trying to locate this sort of tool, and it ain't gonna happen--every one of the mfg's told me straight out--"No such Thing"

So--with this in mind--I'm telling you guys that the low grade stainless pipes that are available from the Barn in PA aren't heavy wall tubing.
They are the wall thickness of exhast tubing-- thin--(which by the way can be bead rolled.
They only come with black rubber splice hose, and no clamps.)

Look at the ad for them at the Perkmonville Flim Fam Boys web page.--it sez so--

<< and come with all the clamps.>>

Nupe.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<you could flair and invert flair a heavier wall ss tube no prob. just a little fire, cone and inverted cone die.

a weld bead around the end of a heavier tube would be faster and easier to do though.>>

I've got the beaded ends all dialed in.
It takes a bunch of time, but they are on the ends of the pipes, without the flaring , or welded beads.
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been cleaned up.
Please stay on topic.
If you have questions about a product, contact the vendor directly.
Please do not slander vendors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I'm not sure what the Turbo Diesel swap requires--you had to adapted the stock Synco pipes to the diesel engine--right?

I will be using the coolant hoses that came stock on the 1.9 TD in Europe and 1.6 TD here in the states. The 1.9 TD was standard in Syncros over in Europe so I was wondering if the pipes were different than the gas Syncro pipes.

I must say, I would rather have a good product and reliable service than have the seller talk sweet to me. When The time comes I will buy the better pipes. I have fitted two sets from the Bus Depot. One set 2WD and the other set on a Syncro. They were a pain to install because they were not shaped like the originals at all.

Grizz
need2boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly_black wrote:
[\I have fitted two sets from the Bus Depot. One set 2WD and the other set on a Syncro. They were a pain to install because they were not shaped like the originals at all.Grizz

I installed some of the bus Depots on my syncro as well. I found they fit fine in the back but I couldn't get the fronts to fit like factory. I also found The spaces where the stainless steel hoses come together didn't butt. there was a gap.

I think the front hoses ends were bent down 10 degrees more then the stock. My thinking was they did this to prevent the ends from hitting the sub frame. If they had bent them up to much they would hit the sub frame and need further bending by the installer. If however they bend down they will work, however they won't be like factory and the two smaller hoses going to the heater core need to be routed differently or they will be in the way of the spare tire. All I did was route them to the side of the main coolant lines.

It's one of those things that drives you crazy because YOU know it's not right but really it's not going to cause any issues.

JFF

1998 SAAB 900 SE Coupe: Black Swan
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Do you have pipes for Syncro Turbo Diesel, or are they the same as the regular Syncro pipes?>>

Grizz,

What year is the TD Vanagon?

I'll do some digging to find out what exactly the pipes cofiguration should be.

I know that the early 1.6 diesel pipes have different bends prior to the firewall--

I just need to know if in fact if there is a difference for a later year TD--maybe there might be a diamerter difference.

Let me know, and I'll do some research on this.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my rusted out metal coolant lines in my '82 diesel with marine exhaust hose. I used smooth walled wire reinforced 1-1/4" hose (about 22 feet). The good thing about marine exhaust hose is that it costs about $170 bucks and its flexible. I also purchased some hose couplers from stealth conversions for about $30 bucks.
Here is the marine exhaust hose
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marine-Hardwall-Exh...enameZWD1V

Here are the couplers
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_TPI-TBI_HoseSplice.html

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the marine tubing is a good inexpensive way to go there are two things wrong with this concept.

First, the hole in the cross member is way to small to occomodate the heavy wall hose plus the heater hose at the same time---it's a pretty tight squeeze to get everything in that hole all at one time.

Second, the marine hose offer's nothing in the way of auxillary coolng benifits.
If nothing else it insulates the coolant to and from the radiator,where the naked stainless tubing will aid in the cooling job.

Nothing wrong with he marine hose idea, it's just a tighter squeeze to and from the engine, and doesn't help to cool anything down any more than the radiator can handle on it's own.
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the insulating issue was the only thing I questioned as well. However, I just installed a new radiator and water pump so I'm hoping the new radiator can take up the slack. The cross member does have to be opened up a bit but the Bentley gives a pretty good description when retrofitting the diesel pipes to plastic pipes. I figured I would mention this as a cheap alternative to the stainless steel coolant pipes...while I save up for the real deal!

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
Grizzly_black
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It is an '87 Syncro. The coolant hoses are identical to the ones that come with a Tiico conversion.

Grizz

Terry Kay wrote:
<<Do you have pipes for Syncro Turbo Diesel, or are they the same as the regular Syncro pipes?>>

Grizz,

What year is the TD Vanagon?

I'll do some digging to find out what exactly the pipes cofiguration should be.

I know that the early 1.6 diesel pipes have different bends prior to the firewall--

I just need to know if in fact if there is a difference for a later year TD--maybe there might be a diamerter difference.

Let me know, and I'll do some research on this.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what your needing is a set of standard Syncro pipes.

All the adaptation for the TD is on the engine end--after the coolant distribution block in front of the firewall.

The pipes have nothing different about them other than being Syncro pipes.
mads-kaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly_black wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:

I will be using the coolant hoses that came stock on the 1.9 TD in Europe and 1.6 TD here in the states. The 1.9 TD was standard in Syncros over in Europe so I was wondering if the pipes were different than the gas Syncro pipes.

I must say, I would rather have a good product and reliable service than have the seller talk sweet to me. When The time comes I will buy the better pipes. I have fitted two sets from the Bus Depot. One set 2WD and the other set on a Syncro. They were a pain to install because they were not shaped like the originals at all.

Grizz

The vanagon has never been standard with the 1.9TD. In Europe you could get three diesel options: 1.6D, 1.7D and 1.6TD
However the 1.9 has the same engine-block?(housing?) as the 1.6's so a swap is relatively easy.
As for cooling pipes I'm not sure...

/Mads
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing TK's SS coolant pipes. The pipes match the stock plastic pipes very well and fit and finish is great. Definitely recommend these pipes. It was a very messy job for me though. Nothing like a Sunday morning coolant shower.

I wanted to report how well the rivet repair held up. I repaired the one pipe end in '07 and about 100,000 miles ago. Seems to have held up fine, no noticeable cracks or anything. I remember not being able to pound that end all the way in at the time. The pipe that was repaired was a previously replaced new pipe in '03 due to the same failure. These stock plastic pipes just plain suck. Definitely recommend replacing them with SS pipes instead of riveting them though. 3 of the 4 ends were ticking time bombs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'71bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1984 7 passanger transport and in process of fixing up. And my biggest concern is fixing the coolant lines. It has the stainless steel i assume, they are rusted out practically at the ends. So my question is, whats the best route to take in replacing them? Do i switch to the plastic? Also im switching the 1.9L for a 2.1L so would it still link up the same?

Here's a view from underneath, passenger side facing front. Left corner you can see the beginning of the rust on the coolant lines.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes Reply with quote

Someone smarter than me might chime in, but I think you have the old plain steel coolant pipes, which were notorious for rusting which led to VW using the plastic pipes (somewhere around mid 1985). So to answer your question, get some stainless steel pipes and relax for another 35 years.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: