Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro Westy tents
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or does 500 seem like way to many. With all those, the og ones in the same color should come down in price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abuspilot wrote:
Is it me or does 500 seem like way to many. With all those, the og ones in the same color should come down in price.

Yeah Marc, 500 is a ton of them!

I bet you the repops will come way down in price later on. Bet the first 100 or so sell like hot cakes but then market will get saturated and the price will drop. The folks that need poles will get em and few that need tents get their's, but I do not think there is 500 people out there at this instance that "need" one.

Remember when the repop tumblers came out. He got full price and sold many, then once everyone that needed em had em....the interest dropped sharply. I recall them being sold as complete sets for about $35 with the holder after a while. I think dieselnut john even mentioned it took the guy years to finally get rid of them all and he would never do that again.

I do not think the original tents will loose that much value. I know I would net deem an original "less valueable" because of a repop out there. Gotta remeber, $500 for just top and poles not shipped. I estimate with the addition of 3 extra side pieces and shipping it will be around $1000. That is close to what originals are worth already. Plus, I bet these will not be as perfect as we think, there is always ways to tell repop items from originals...they "never" can get things 100%. It will be very interesting to see all what develops.
I can not wait to see one in person!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
Yeah Marc, 500 is a ton of them!

I bet you the repops will come way down in price later on. Bet the first 100 or so sell like hot cakes but then market will get saturated and the price will drop. The folks that need poles will get em and few that need tents get their's, but I do not think there is 500 people out there at this instance that "need" one.

Remember when the repop tumblers came out. He got full price and sold many, then once everyone that needed em had em....the interest dropped sharply. I recall them being sold as complete sets for about $35 with the holder after a while. I think dieselnut john even mentioned it took the guy years to finally get rid of them all and he would never do that again.

I do not think the original tents will loose that much value. I know I would net deem an original "less valueable" because of a repop out there. Gotta remeber, $500 for just top and poles not shipped. I estimate with the addition of 3 extra side pieces and shipping it will be around $1000. That is close to what originals are worth already. Plus, I bet these will not be as perfect as we think, there is always ways to tell repop items from originals...they "never" can get things 100%. It will be very interesting to see all what develops.
I can not wait to see one in person!

I thought the same thing on the tumblers. Is it even safe to say that there are 500 59-65 westys out there in need of a tent. Yes, I know this can be something for the sundial etc folks but still seems like a lot. I guess the cool thing for me is, no rush to get one as I think they will be available when I need/want one.

All in all still a cool repro item. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is that 500 is an econmy of scale as with most things manufacturers are not too interested in onesies and twosies

the best news i have heard on tents for years- looing forward to seeing one in the flesh
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tents are selling very good in Europe, I believe they will be sold out in a year. Remember that PLF's tents cost 400 dollars (when she was making them), conduit tubing frame, flat top, yadaa yaddaaa. I figure landed in the U S with shipping and dutys they will cost between 600 to 650. I believe that more then just Westy people will buy them and people with real nice tents that use them will also buy one to preserve their originals (like me).
I would rather use a repop then dirtying my originals and am not anal about if I have a OG one up or repop, I just like having a tent up when camping and this way I could put 2 up on the DD and not worry about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
golde-westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
The tent was copied from an NOS one as were the poles.

That'll be the Yellow one which apparently came out of the westfalia museum. BBT was trying to sell it for big bucks at Vanfest in 2004. It was a late style with the cutouts in the top piece for the later style rack.

I guess the reason they chose orange as the other colour is because he has an og orange tent too.

http://so-23.com The SO-23 Westy Registry...125 SO-23s and counting.

Wanted: 55-57 Bubble taillights, Grey Kombi Bench Seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a LOT of demand for tents from the non-westy crowd, 500 will sell out. Hope they do an earlier tri-color in the next run!

These seem odd to me...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A different version at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VW-camper-westfalia-splitscree...dZViewItem

Are they some kind of a Euro fan club thing?

They're definitely not these:
http://www.westfalia-schild.de/
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the Westfalia Registry, similar to the Barndoor registry etc etc. This has been around for quite a few years, predominant in Europe and run by Michael Steinke years back. Not sure if he still runs it but I would assume so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Babies-R-Us in Toledo, OH has bath tubs that resemble that ever so sought after Mauser bowl. Laughing
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All-

With all the talk about Westfalia tents and the warmer weather ahead I dusted off some of my Westfalia accessories, tents etc. Any thoughts on what year this tent pole bag is correct for and what poles it is designed to store?? Does hte colour of the bag have any bearing on the colour of the tent it was designed for (i doubt it but thought I would ask)

one side...

and the other...

thanks in advance
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Hey All-

With all the talk about Westfalia tents and the warmer weather ahead I dusted off some of my Westfalia accessories, tents etc. Any thoughts on what year this tent pole bag is correct for and what poles it is designed to store?? Does hte colour of the bag have any bearing on the colour of the tent it was designed for (i doubt it but thought I would ask)

one side...

and the other...

thanks in advance

I'd bet that bag is for a set of foyer tent (small '61-'65) poles. Generraly the privy tents got the heavy duty green canvas, but the foyer tent pole bags seem to just be made out of scraps from wherever. If it's for sale I'd love to have it for my flipseats foyer tent.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd try anyway...

I'm looking for a repro tent with poles. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I found one at Cip1. Does anyone have feedback on these?
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my currancy converter, 500 euros equals $780.

I bought this repo tent plus poles from Gunter 2 years ago. When I played around with it and put the poles together, I realized I'd never be able to lift this myself. So I tried to sell it at the next campout for $300. No takers. Still willing to sell it, but I won't be bothered to ship it. It's in central NC.

The tent top only, is in a bag that meaures 12x10x4. It's grey/yellow. Also on the inside. Has NOT been out of the bag. Poles are very heavy. No roof/bumper brackets.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricekooker wrote:

I'm looking for a repro tent with poles. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I was at OCTO and some dude was selling the foyer version, an original i assume, for $1,000.
I ordered the CIP one, total with shipping was $670.
Did they ever make the walls for it?
--Dan
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
ricekooker wrote:

I was at OCTO and some dude was selling the foyer version, an original i assume, for $1,000.
I ordered the CIP one, total with shipping was $670.
Did they ever make the walls for it?
--Dan

Did he get his price?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob from BBT was here a couple months ago and he said they might make a heavier canvas for the frames and sides, though not with the toilet part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the heavier canvas.
The repro tent canvas stuff is pretty thin.
The poles are very nice, though.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone has a repop they want to get rid of, complete or even just the material please drop me an email or IM. I am looking for a cheapish beater one.

Thanks!
Todd
Samba Member #95
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
Bob from BBT was here a couple months ago and he said they might make a heavier canvas for the frames and sides, though not with the toilet part.

Are any side pieces available in the currently available material?
--Dan
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, are there any copies of the original Westfalia tent assembly instructions in English for these tents out there or here on the Samba? I'd love to get a good copy as I just picked up my two repro tents. Also, are there any detailed instructions on drilling the roof for the brackets...hate to make a mistake doing that!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: