Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

SO-23 cups have been done at least once. I believe the guy who did them did 300 sets, said he'd never do another VW part as long as he lived as we (westy owners) were too cheap! lol... It took him quite a few years to sell out. Something to consider if you're thinking about doing something.

Awnings and poles are now done. ('58?-'64)

Some curtains have been done (so-23 and flipseat).

Some cloth patterns for seats have been done (so-23 and flipseat).

Quite a few of the hardware odds and ends for the SO-23 have been done. (net hooks, nets, child's cot poles, etc.)

What would you like to see done next? (And no, I'm not the guy to do it. Smile Just curious....kind of hoping one of your repro guys will step to the plate! I wouldn't even know where to begin...

My vote is for the mauser stratoplast. Lots of campers need 'em, they never come up for sale. I know a few folks who would buy a complete bus just for one. No clue how lucrative or feasible this is. I PM'd brezelworks about it last year, but he was too busy to even reply...lol.

I also think the curtain material for SO-42's would be lucrative for someone. (I believe they've been done once as well, in Germany.)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring frame bed frame and table mounts and all the steel parts for a spring frame kit.
Camping box kit the type that fits any bus so one could camp in there bus buy just removing that worthless middle seat . Plus you could store it in your living room and have cool guest bed.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westy trailer hitches

crappers

SO-23 sloped racks

SO-34 folding chairs

SO-34 spare tire tables

SO-33/34 chandelier lights

SO-42 childs cots

SO-42 bigtop tents

any of those items would be nice to see reproduced.

I like how early westies don't have all of the stupid little accessories that cost so much on the later models. I also like how early westies are so rare that it isn't worthwhile to reproduce very much of anything for them.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya what Lind said
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Spring frame bed frame and table mounts and all the steel parts for a spring frame kit.

i hear there is a template in a MA landfill somewhere?

and true, but unfortunate what lind said about the early early westy stuff, especially when all your little trinkets and impossible parts get stolen.

i vote for sloped racks. i need 2.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
i hear there is a template in a MA landfill somewhere?

and true, but unfortunate what lind said about the early early westy stuff, especially when all your little trinkets and impossible parts get stolen.

wow, that brings up an interesting quandry. would you rather unwittingly throw away your early westy parts or have them stolen? hate yourself or hate someone else?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing i hate everyone, so it's all the same to me. but yes, an interesting dilemma for sure.

i hope that maybe someday my stolen parts will resurface, even if i don't get them back, at least they were not willingly buried.
i think the MA winters and rain have disintegrated the aforementioned Westy kit.

so i will vote for stolen, because there is the chance they will be seen again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I dumped the spring bed it did not look vw back in the day. With the funky added seats and walk through I'm lucky I did not fill the hatch hole. btw I only chucked the bed frame rest was missing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by [email protected] on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the old pics in the gallery Jim. what a heap. looks much better today.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rember well when it was white and had the spring bed . whith the monster 1600 (now in scott Castles bus)Camped in it a few times with the spring frame bed but we used our own sofa pilliows, as og pads were long gone. This was my first bus from that now famous water loged southern state. The guy I bought it off had flat towed it up to Mass becuse it was rust free. I'll always love this bus the most . This bus was at the very first Neto meet all in white .
I still have the back og bumper with cut outs for the 1600]
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really sucks that every springframe westy is (or was) such a piece of shit. it would be so cool if a nice original paint springframe westy came out of the woodwork. it seems like generally there is a disporportional amount of westies that are in good condition versus other models, considering what a low percentage of buses were westies.

btw, dieselnut, us springframe westy owners have officially hijacked your topic. its up to the later westy owners to come in and rescue it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my spring frame today

Nice thing about have a slicked over ride over Og is you dont have to worry about hurting a og bus
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to see subhatch bolts repro'd more, a good quality roofrack that can actually be used. also, the rubber hose used to fill the water tank in the SO-23's. there are more, but i have the flu, so maybe tomorrow.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of a white Mauser Straoplast Wash Basin that is in a land fill somehwere on the east coast also.

Must be something in the water out there? Wink

I have always had that "temptation" at times when first cleaning out a bus...but I seem to always wind up keeping and storing useless junk for years and years instead of throwing out anything of value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Mausers and chandeliers.

I had a different vote but that repro westy part is due out any day now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
golde-westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i vote for sloped racks. i need 2.

Jon, i've been working on these. Quantities and the tooling costs prohibited it getting any further but i'm still trying. Unless I can get the clamps etc EXACT then I won't bother.

I have a few other bits, some mentioned in Linds list which are already started in the pipeline.

One which won't be going any further is the tent. It's nice to see bbt have made it but from the looks of the pictures the pole and tent bags are nothing like the originals which is a shame.

http://so-23.com The SO-23 Westy Registry...125 SO-23s and counting.

Wanted: 55-57 Bubble taillights, Grey Kombi Bench Seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my vote would be for the so-42 curtain material. I know there is a thread out there on it. Some guy in Germany had it done and sold some or the balance to PLF. PLF should just sell the material, shouldn't be too hard to cut the proper length for a full set, box it up and ship it. I'd be willing to buy it if she'd sell material only.

Or why don't we track down the guy in Germany and see if he can lead us to the folks that repro'd it for him. I'll look for that thread now and update this post when found. Self motivation I guess. Smile

Well that was easy http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142646&highlight=curtain

I'll e-mailed and PM'd wolfgang1 hopefully I get a response. I'll keep you posted as I get info.
golde-westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abuspilot wrote:
Or why don't we track down the guy in Germany and see if he can lead us to the folks that repro'd it for him. I'll look for that thread now and update this post when found. Self motivation I guess. Smile

Well that was easy http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142646&highlight=curtain

I'll e-mailed and PM'd wolfgang1 hopefully I get a response. I'll keep you posted as I get info.

That cloth was made in portugal I think.

I'm trying and have been trying for some months to find somewhere that will make the cloth for me. But it's hard to find somewhere that can make it the same as this old technology and will produce an amount that is viable. + I've now run out of originals!

http://so-23.com The SO-23 Westy Registry...125 SO-23s and counting.

Wanted: 55-57 Bubble taillights, Grey Kombi Bench Seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about flipseat parts? Brackets & all...or are there enough of them floating around to not need the repros?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
westy trailer hitches

I've toyed with the idea of making these, and have even done a little homework on them, but one aspect on which I'm not 100% clear are what are/how to deal with liability issues.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: