Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Vee Dubs / V Dubs World / Jose Ortega
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyhoffo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Contact... Reply with quote

Well I've heard from him - *ahem* it only took me calling the sheriff's department out there for him to suddenly find time to get back to me.

He pretty much told me that he wasn't going to email me again until either:
1. Friday, or:
2. he has more information for me

Uhhhhh, No, actually, if you have my car and money, you'll contact me if I ask you to. Anything less is, well, draw your own conclusion.
Didn't hear from him today. I was so surprised!

So, one can summarize all this from my personal experiences...
1. Do your research! Contact the BBB and search. Heck, contact anyone you feel might be helpful. Generally, if you call the police and they know who you're talking about right off the bat, it's a bad thing. *sigh*
2. Do your research! Did I say that already? If someone has some trouble in the customer relations side of things, SEVERAL times in a short time, or, even moves often, that's usually not good.
3. Do your research! This can't be stressed enough. If it's anything I learned by this fiasco, which is still not resolved, I might add, it's that:
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!" The time you spend looking into any big investment will save you an enormous pain in the backside later. (and probably a lot of money, too!)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
Did he say where he was? I will go there if I have to.

Thanks.

Curtis
scottyhoffo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: New address Reply with quote

Hi Curtis,
When I started tracking this guy down, I called the Camp Verde Chamber of Commerce. They aren't members (big surprise), and the lady who worked there told me they'd already moved from one location to another. When I put it into MapQuest, it's all the way on the other side of town.
New address is as such:
1687 S Murdock Rd
Camp Verde, AZ 86322

... did I already mention that when I initially called the sheriff's department, they knew who I was talking about right off the bat? That's always a good sign, huh. Grrrr
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyhoffo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Updates of great and grand things. Reply with quote

Here's the latest information -
The Camp Verde Sheriff's department has received the pictures and updated invoice from Jose. The officer who's assisting me said that it didn't look like he's done much with it. Due to various circumstances he highly recommends I get the car out of there quick, fast, in a hurry.

Still no response from the certified / registered letter I'd sent him last week.

I am looking at my options for getting the car sent from there to here - I don't think I should have to pay it, but as it seems that may be the only way to do it, I'll look in to it.

...the game continues. Grrrrrr
mezzaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Yep... me too... Reply with quote

I began dealings with Jose just over a year ago... I sent him my 80 Vanagon engine and transmission in May of 2005.

Things went bad pretty quickly, and it's a LONG story, but here is the bottom line:

I did finally get an engine from him in October of 2005. It was missing a great deal of the accessories... hoses, coil, some of the tin, both harnesses, and more...

He first sent me the wrong transmission, and then finally sent me one that would work around December of 2005.

I finally got most of the missing engine parts (but not all) back in Dec/Jan.

Note: this was supposed to be a turnkey deal... engine test run, etc...

Instead I got what amounted to a glorified long-block with pretty much all of my accessories missing.

This was all quite bizarre considering how his website said this work would be done.

No explanation has ever been given (and believe me, I've asked) as to why/how this happened.

I finally had time to install the engine and tranny in March of this year (a couple of months ago) and I'm still trying to get this thing working right... the most glaring issues with the engine itself are two major oil leaks... one from the hole in the case created by the missing thermostat pulley and one from a trashed oil cooler (both of which I have fixed), and... here's a good one... that he built this thing around an early 70's model 1700 case, instead of the 80 2.0 case. I don't think this is a major issue other than the breather/oil filler set-up being different... but still.

Along the way I had to get someone here in Texas to finish up the transmission work that Jose didn't do as he should have.

Also, I contacted the Campe Verde sheriffs office back last year and they did go out and rattle Jose's cage a bit at one point.

Bottom line is that I spent over $4K on what should have been a completed job. Yet I have had to spend quite a bit more since then to complete this project. Even still, with all of the stuff that I have dealt with here and the way this whole thing has gone, I am worried about the inside of this engine.

BTW... I just figured out the whole "wrong engine case" deal a few days ago and emailed Jose to ask him about it. No response.

Imagine my surprise.

Now that I've read this thread I'm not expecting to ever get one.
scottyhoffo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: PHOTOS!!! Reply with quote

Well well well, today an envelope arrived from the Camp Verde Sheriff's department - the pictures and updated invoice have arrived!

Car looks not too shabby - lots of work for me to do on her - engine nowhere to be seen but apparently is done... I have the serial number of the 40hp block I gave him so the one I get back had better be the same one!

I don't expect any responses to my emails either - anything I get outside of communication through the sheriff's department I consider a "small miracle".

I'll get the pictures scanned and posted as soon as I can.
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, for keeping us informed about this matter. I wish we could somehow inform every VW owner about the bums at JVD, Inc.

James
scottyhoffo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Information and communication Reply with quote

Hey James, thank you. It does me well to know that people are reading and passing this word along. I'd kind of like to have Mike Turko go over this one so more people would see it - but that's just for us San Diegans. Smile

By the way, if anyone would like to see scanned images of court records belonging to Jose related to Just Vee Dubs or any of his previous businesses, let me know - I finally got around to scanning the documents I'd ordered from the San Diego County Assessor, Recorder, and County clerk, as well as the case numbers for any civil lawsuits brought against him since the early 1980s. Smile There are state tax liens against property in there, and even one federal from 1990. ...all of it is public record. If you'd like your own certified copies, here's the link to the website:
http://arcc.co.san-diego.ca.us/services/grantorgrantee/
I also have somewhere the link to the San Diego County Court site which is somewhere off of www.sandiego.courts.ca.gov/CISPublic/
but I don't have it here. The trick with that one is to enter "Civil" for the type of case, and the "any" selection for region of county, as he's been into his share of malfeasance all over.

If you're looking for fun, search not only for Jose Ortega, but for Jose C Ortega, and Jose Carlos Ortega. Then, under different business names like Just Vee Dubs and even Just Veedubs [sic]. That's kept me busy for hours and hours. Twisted Evil

Some of the information might not be much, but don't you find it strange how different he always seems to have something to do with a company going to court? Especially one with his wife's name also in there?

Forgot to mention - I don't have the web address handy, but if you look up Yavapai County in AZ, you can get to legal documents and even print them out - registration required, but free!
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: FBI Internet fraud website Reply with quote

The latest...
I've submitted a complaint with the FBI internet fraud website detailing my horror story with JVD. If you've been following the thread and wish to file a complaint go to the FBI website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
knoton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Me, too! Reply with quote

I bought an engine from them in February 2006. They dawdled and were very bad about responding to email, but I finally got it. I installed it and it ran for less than 2 minutes.

Jose Ortega is a slick manipulator. He asked me to send him my new SVDA dizzy and everything else so he could assemble it and test it all before the 2nd shipment. He offered to do that for an addtional $200. I declined. I did offer to send him some funds for shipping, but would not send him my parts. I haven't heard from him since although he had said he was ready to ship the engine to me on 17 June 2006.

I've decided to file complaints with the FBI and AZ Attorney General as you have. I have EVERY email from the very begining of this debacle.

I'm posting the url to this thread and two others wherever I can think to post it. If other folks have been victimized by them, I'm hoping they'll come forward and file complaints as well.

It may also be possible to file as a "class" for damages if we can rouse enough victims from despair. I am certain there must be many more victims of fraud by this company.

I noticed they do not have mail service from the US Postal Service. I suggest it is likely because they wanted to avoid federal mail fraud charges.

Demian
knoton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: new email from Jose Reply with quote

On 13/Jul/2006 15:05:24, Tech wrote:

I have just got back from a family "crisis" I will have this on a pallet and ready to ship the next time they come down which should be Tuesday. You need to call Y.F. and get the shipping BOL 800 610-6500. They cannot be here after three PM.

Jose
JVD

I think this means that he wants me to pay for the shipping. BOL = Bill Of Lading.

I phoned Yellow Freight. Their records show that JVD registered with them in Dec 05 with the address:

2021 South 51st Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85043

They gave me a quote and I asked them to check the last couple of months for shipping activity to verify from where they are shipping so we'd get the pick-up address correct.

Nothing! YF checked the records from the date of their registration and there has not been a single shipment on the account. I received my engine at the YF terminal in Reno/Sparks in April I believe. So, they used another account then.

I think JVD should pay the shipping costs, but if I am to make the arrangments, I don't have a pick-up address to give to YF.

Another issue -- The JVD domain registration has a California address. (WHOIS or GoDaddy domain search).
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same company?
http://www.justveedubs.com/contact.php

My food baby is crowning.
knoton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oc63rag wrote:
Is this the same company?
http://www.justveedubs.com/contact.php

Yes.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the AZ Attorney General have to say about this anyway?

Really some jail time is an excellent behaviour changing tool. It really lets them have some time (like 3-5 years with good behaviour) to think about things.

They do not call it the "bendover" for nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: About the Phoenix Address Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
What I believe is happening is that Jose gives the address of the Yellow freight terminal in Phoenix and then picks stuff up when they call. (He might even drop stuff off there from time to time) But I don't believe the address in Phoenix is his "physical" address.
I agree with Randy, Jail time *MIGHT* serve as a deterrent to this scumbag.
knoton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: About the Phoenix Address & HOME Reply with quote

scruffy wrote:
Hey Guys,
...But I don't believe the address in Phoenix is his "physical" address.
I agree with Randy, Jail time *MIGHT* serve as a deterrent to this scumbag.

Yellow Frieght has no record of ANY activity at the Phoenix address.

The US Marshal's office said he vacated 4626 Old Hwy 279, #3 in Camp Verde, AZ a long time ago.

He is shipping and receiving at Old Hwy 279 #3 though. He may have an arrangement with the new occupant.

His HOME ADDRESS appears to be 1687 S. Murdock, Camp Verde, AZ.
knoton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Sent SINGLE PORT instead of dual port Reply with quote

I picked up my engine at the Yellow Freight terminal in Reno, NV yesterday.

The asshole substituted a SINGLE PORT for the dual port.

My carb is a 34PICT-3 and won't fit on a single port intake manifold. I cannot afford a new 31PICT-3 carb and SP manifold to make it work.

I ordered in February. Now it's AUGUST.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude , you know what GEX means right? you "could" have shipped it right back unused, called Visa and said jose's delivery timeframe outlasted your purposes and they would have YANKED that money back- right out of jose's bank! Visa can do that sort of thing, and they did it for ME once when i shipped back to OEveedub but got no refund check! something to remember. always pay with the card.
revetrias
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: More Jose Ortega - Justveedubs Reply with quote

I've been waiting for one of his premium rebuilds since February. After months of trying to get hold of him, he finally sends me the shipping info for my motor. I picked it up last night and what a disaster! Here's what I emailed him last night:
1. There are no valve covers on the engine. My motor came in with finned aluminum Empi valve covers which you and I discussed and you guaranteed would be placed back on the engine.
2. The Oil Cooler Upgrade to Dog House Style are not new parts as quoted on your web site and per your invoice. The fan shroud is a used vw shroud that has had the driver side air duct rewelded on. The oil cooler appears to be used as well as the fins are crushed and the cooling fan is also not new. Your website shows this as a "SCAT Exclusive", your invoice quotes EMPI 8894, EMPI 8884, and EMPI 8672. Either SCAT or EMPI is acceptable, but the used VW parts are not.
3. This motor has a Bosch generator, not the new alternator that was on my core. You and I discussed this on the phone as well and you confirmed that my motor had the new alternator.
4. My pressure plate and disk are not on the engine. The flywheel is very rusted, as if it was sitting outside for a long time. It has been quickly resurfaced, but even the bolt holes and other surfaces have bad surface rust on them. My flywheel was not rusty and is not the one on this engine.
5. There is no dip stick.
6. The crank case still has grease and dirt on it. If this case was align bored and cam bored and then rebuilt with new bearings, crank, cam, seals, etc, I would assume that it would have been thoroughly cleaned prior to putting it back together.
7. The invoice quotes Cylinder Tin 2 Pt., New Set, part # MRB8990. The cylinder tin is used and has only been repainted.
8. You told me that the warranty information would be shipped with the motor. No warranty paperwork was included.

If you've lost track of him, he has moved to Albuquerque, NM. Here's the address and phone number that was on the YFS shipping docs.

Just Vee Dubs Inc
4801 Ellison NE Ste N
Albuquerque, NM 87109

505-301-0590

I took a chance and called this number this morning and he actually picked up the phone! I basically told him that he would build me a new engine with all the correct components and have it shipped by next week. If not, I promised him that I would contact the Albuquerque Police Department and the New Mexico Attorney General's office.

Anyone who continues to have problems should flood this phone number with calls. If you get hold of him, make sure that he understands that if he doesn't take care of your issues that you will report him to the authorities. Let's see what happens. I already have contact numbers for the PD, AG, and FBI Internet Fraud. I've had it with this guy. No engine next week, he gets a visit.
revetrias
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: More Jose Ortega - justveedubs Reply with quote

He actually called me back a few minutes ago! Now he wants to ship me the parts and pay me to put them on. I may be foolish, but I'm holding out for the right engine. Anyway, here's the number he called from:

505-301-1873
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: