Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I don't know that the tunnel mat is worth reproducing since WW makes a nice beetle tunnel mat that works great (I think Beetle and Ghia tunnel mats are the same?). Sill mats would be nice, but you can cut a WW tunnel mat to make a sill mat, so it might not be worth making sill mats.

Ghia bulkhead and floor mats are unavailable and it would be great to have them reproduced. Floor mats are different for 56-59 Ghias than for 60 on up Ghias and the front mats are different for right hand drive cars. If you need a set of early Ghia mats to scan PM me.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with other differences and dates of changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Loren, are You 100% certain that the WW tunnel mat is big enough for cutting out one of the sill mats? I remember measuring this once and I´m quite certain the tunnel mat wasn't big enough...(Would be really nice if I´m wrong though so lets hope I am)

Regards/Jonas
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I am fairly certain. Dan Mercer made sill mats for his 59 Ghia from two WW tunnel mats. They looked great and he is a stickler for detail so I am sure it is possible. I think I have an original sill mat in the garage and a WW tunnel mat too, so I will see if I can double check this so we will know for sure.

Mod Edit: Here's Dan's WW Tunnel mat, from: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5639162#5639162

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I was able to use a tunnel mat from WW as well for the sills. I ordered two mats from WW . One for the tunnel that will need to be cut to fit and one that was cut in half(long ways) for the sills.
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Glad I was wrong Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cocojoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I would definitely be down for a set of mats or my '69 Ghia. I've come back periodically to check and see if there was anyone out there making them. Please, please please make new mats- I know a lot of folks would buy them! My Ghia has the dark grey factory mats that are sooo tired. It would be great to freshen them up Very Happy

Hector
'69 VW Ghia
'75 Opel Manta
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I just picked up a '56 Gazelle Beige car and need a complete set of mats. I have one original floor mat and it's black.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Any updates?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hello all,

The scanning was done, waiting for the 3D model. Is taking longer than expected, I will let you know as soon as I have it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:
Hello all,

The scanning was done, waiting for the 3D model. Is taking longer than expected, I will let you know as soon as I have it.

You also going to make the four floor mats?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I also scanned the floor mats. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:
I also scanned the floor mats. Smile

You da man if you pull this off.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I have a complete set of the floor mats for a lowlight that were made by a member here . I can offer them up to be copied or molded as the maker never refunded me the deposit paid for the front bulkhead mat he was going to make.

I hope this is not a conflict with the moderators .
jlarrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hi Luis,
Count me in for a full set for green mats. Not only for the firewall mat.
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

If these mats happen I'll take 2 sets.

Thanks
Trevor
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Dear All,

I really expected to have this project going this year! I am closer but not ready ...

As I mentioned before, the first scanning attempt failed as the texture was incorrect. Few weeks ago the prototype mat was scanned again, this time using a different scanner. I got the scanned file and it looks a lot better!

Before going to the reverse engineering process of editing the scanned file, that shows the imperfections of my hand-made prototype, I wanted to 3D print two small sections, one showing the pebble pattern and the other showing the strips pattern. I got them last week and the texture is correct!
Now I need to print a negative to use them as a mold, to make rubber pieces and determine the rubber material to use.

After that I will be in the position to cost a full size mold and the production method.

Please bear with me, I'm sorry this it taking longer than I ever expected, but it's going to happen in 2018!

Happy New Year to all!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by lajs57 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Thank you, the samples look great......looking forward to seeing the end product. Thank you for your patience as well in perfecting the product.
Best wishes for a great New Year and the ghia community is looking forward to seeing these mats on the market for purchase in the new year. I, like many others, are looking forward to purchasing a set after a bad experience with Lemke.
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I am looking forward for these mats too. Its nice to see that someone is working on that issue. Really nice job..thanks so far!!

And I think I will need them by the end of 2018 Wink
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

This is cool and such great news! As already said...many thanks for doing this and good luck. I´m up for two sets btw:-)

/Jonas
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Great news, hopefully it will pan out.
I still can't understand why big companies like KGP&R were never able to at least have the floor mats made. There are bug ones, there are Porsche ones...it just makes no sense. Anyway, I hope you make them and sell thousands and make good money in the process.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 51

Jump to: