Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

UPDATE!!

Hello Members and Followers:

It's been almost two weeks since the last update! Getting things ready has been harder, take longer and cost more that planed! I think that is the rule of this trade!

I had to rework some details of the Master Model. I plan to make the mold this weekend. Tomorrow I plan to make the mold structure, it needs to be production-strong.

The production line is almost ready, the molds supports and leveling system was tested with great results, all the pieces should be ready by the beginning of next week.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RHD Sets

Regarding the RHD sets, I need some help before I can upload the option in the LowLight Werks webpage:

Here are the details for the LHD:

I have the precise location for all the derails

Here are the details for the RHD:

Please send me pictures or drawings with dimensions to locate:

1. The correct position of the hole for the chock cable that goes to the right of the hole for the steering column

2. The correct position fo the hole for the light foot switch. I can add a semicircle similar to the circle used in the LHD mats. RHD owners, please let me know if you like this or just a hole in the correct position.

3. Does the pedal area has any cuts to accommodate the pedal bundle? In the LHD mats there is a "S" shaped cut to the left of the tunnel.

Also, for the RHD FLOOR MATS, it would be great if I can borrow an original front floor mat set. Otherwise I can create a set that resembles the RHD mats using the LHD mats. Please send picures or a drawing of the drivers front mat. The paseenger, I assume, is just a mirror of the LHD floor front mat.

IF YOU WANT A RHD MAT SET, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP, SO I CAN PLAN FOR THAT AND ADD THE OPTION TO THE ORDERING ON THE WEBPAGE

My plan is to buy the spray delivery sistem and a compresor to have the production line ready next week!

THEN PRODUCTION STARTS!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Yes I an interested in black RHD lower light floor mats only and not the bulkhead mat.
It will be a mirror image of the LHD driver side mat with the same characteristics.
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Srecko wrote:
Yes I an interested in black RHD lower light floor mats only and not the bulkhead mat.
It will be a mirror image of the LHD driver side mat with the same characteristics.

Please send pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I am interested in a set of RHD mats ....but the passenger side should have provision for the footrest, which I don’t think features in the low light. I know Angus Dowrie has a set of OG RHD mats for his ‘63. I could ask him to send photos if it helps.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Here's a photo of the RHD driver side front lower light mat. This is the best image i can get....it will retain the same characteristics of the LHD mat.

boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Great. Thank you for the updates
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I’m preplanning installation With the new interiors close to being completed .
Are the rubber interiors to be glued in? How were the originals installed?

I know the front bulkhead has the metal clips(x2) on the door pillars and steering column rubber gasket. The steering column rubber gasket assists with securing the bulkhead in place as seen in the owners manual.

Just some questions to get some ideas.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Srecko wrote:
Here's a photo of the RHD driver side front lower light mat. This is the best image i can get....it will retain the same characteristics of the LHD mat.

Looks like a flipped image of a lhd mat if you look at the numbers they look backwards? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there were zero RHD lowlights made?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there were zero RHD lowlights made?

That maybe true, but rubber mats are not exclusive to low light Ghias.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

yes this is correct. I've just checked a old Lemke thread in the Forums under Ghia named "Early Rubber Floor Mat Reproduction" and page 3 of this thread shows a RHD driver side mat. It a prototype version which is correct in appearance. I'm having trouble copying the image.

BTW thank you for your efforts and perseverance in reproducing these mats, all Ghia owners are rejoicing to finally have an option in the future to purchase such mats.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

The cutouts around the pedals on the prototype RHD mat don't look right to me for the way the RHD pedals mount - they are not just a mirror image of LHD pedals.
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
The cutouts around the pedals on the prototype RHD mat don't look right to me for the way the RHD pedals mount - they are not just a mirror image of LHD pedals.

Do you have an image of a RHD driver side mat? Welcome images and the prototype is spot on as I've tried, perfect fit.
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm glad that the conversation for RHD mats set is on!
Here is the picture of the "prototype RHD mat" mentioned:

Here are two Parts Book's images that show the LHD and RHD pedal assemblies:

Very differewnt one from the other. Both have the acelerator (gas) pedal at the right side of the assembly. I can see why the shape of the LHD drivers mat has the shape it has. A mirror image for the RHD mat doesn't make sense. May be the square cut is right. Was the protitype mat copied from an original or just cutted to have enough space?

Hard to know without a picture of an era correct RHD driver mat. I hope someone has a way the clarify this.

Also regarding the RHD set, I mentioned in earlier posts that I need detail information to make the front RHD bulkhead mat correct.

Here are pictures from the Gallery that show some details:

I can see the hole for the steering column and an indication that the chock cable hole was to the right of it. Also the LHD area for the foot switch is not there and the bump for the RHD foot switch shows the switch was there.

Please submit pictures or drawings with dimentions ASAP, I am working in preparing the molds now.

I hope all of you have a great weekend!

Luis

Last edited by lajs57 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Dear RHD owners,

Searching in te Gallery I just found this images from RockStock showing the RHD mats:

This mats are from a 61 RHD Sea Blue Ghia Coupe. Not a lowlight, but the mats may be similar. The location for the gas pedal pivot point may be different. LOW LIGHT RHD owners, even if you don't have a set of mats, pictures for the floor and bulkhead areas will really help.

Please share any additional information, thanks!

Luis
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:
Dear RHD owners,

Searching in te Gallery I just found this images from RockStock showing the RHD mats:

This mats are from a 61 RHD Sea Blue Ghia Coupe. Not a lowlight, but the mats may be similar. The location for the gas pedal pivot point may be different. LOW LIGHT RHD owners, even if you don't have a set of mats, pictures for the floor and bulkhead areas will really help.

Please share any additional information, thanks!

Luis

Luis, those mats are from a lhd 58 Bernina cab that was converted to rhd early on in its life. As opposed to being modified lhd 58 mats, at a quick glance they look like rhd 60 mats? With the lhs mat cut short? Dunno

These are the (my) 61 rhd Sea Blue mats:

Rhd driver's mat has the inverted T-shape cut for the accelerator

Dirty, but all blue! From the golden era of Ghia interiors. Ice cool!

Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the photos "RockStock".
The prototype photo of the RHD driver side mat is correct as confirmed by your photo. The passenger side is obviously post 59, given the mat covers the footrest. Lower light passenger mat is different which many would know.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Any progress to report?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hello All,

I know all of you are waiting for news, here is a quick update (I will make another one with pictures soon):

I'm behind schedule, but I haven't stop working hard every day to have things ready. It's been harder that I expected!

Tomorrow I have the training to use the rubber spray equipment, I am packing now and leaving shortly to be in Easton PA in the morning. I'm taking the bulkhead Master Mold with me, it took me 3 trials, but it is finally done!!

The production line is 80% ready, planning to finish the details next week.

Working in options for under mats and other mounting pieces.

I have not heard from RHD owners, if I don't have any commitments by the weekend, I won't make those molds now, maybe in the future, but they are going to have a different cost and price.

Got key fob samples!

Have a great weekend!

Luis
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Luis,

Thank you for the update and again, all your tireless efforts. Have a safe trip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 51

Jump to: