Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:
Hello All,

Big update in the works!
I will post it as soon as the first set is ready to ship, that should be few days from now Wink

Very Happy

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Sweet. Sorry for the double post.
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

For reference.. beige RHD front passenger mat (Late '59-'60?) I recently picked up, drivers side unfortunately MIA. Rears are the same as lowlight.Made by Phoenix (58-59 style, pebbled edge)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

These look like the RHD mats version having the passenger side foot rest.
I would love to see these reproduced. They would be viable for nearly all the 60's Ghia that originally were built with mats instead of carpet. That's quite a large pool of demand.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Any updates?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hello my friends,

I am behind schedule, the road to full production has been full of unexpected challenges, but I will continue until we are successful.

The production line is ready:

The tent now is water tight and includes an extraction system and a rotary base for the bulkhead mat mold.

One thing that took time is that I had to repeat 3 molds, as they had quality issues:

The bulkhead, that now has the LHD details:

The tunnel mat, as it had defects due to mold contamination Crying or Very sad

And the front passenger mat, that was thicker that the other 3 floor mats.

The biggest issue was that I was having problems with the thickness of the sprayed mats, as it was not consistent, some areas were too thin. I found out that the problem was that the compressor didn't maintain a constant air flow at 90 psi. Unfortunately the capacity was at its limit, so I needed to get a new compressor, with greater capacity. I just got it today, but it is 220V and I need to install a 220 breaker and install the wiring in the next few days.

One positive thing is that I made a set of six pieces for the sound-absorbing under-mats:

141 863 708 front floor mats,
141 863 727 rear floor mats,
113 863 871 tunnel front
113 863 873 tunnel rear

I had a set of originals for the floor sound absorber:

and here is the new set, made with a fiber glass top layer, that looks just like the originals, and a thick dense rubber bottom layer. It will work as good or better that the originals, you will have a nicer quiet ride AND the floor mats will lay flat.

The tunnel mat looks too thin without the under mat, with it it looks just right. The tunnel used 2 sections:

There are few other small pieces of sound absorbers that the parts book show, if someone has a set to make a template, I can include them in the set, no just for the looks, but also to have a quiet ride.

My intention was to post an up-date announcing that the orders started to ship, but I fill that is time to let you know why I am late.

With the new compressor i should obtain consistent quality, so I can start production.

To be honest, this project has been harder that I expected. I appreciate your patience and understanding. I am working hard to make sure you will love your mats!

Luis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussie59Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Outstanding commitment Luis. That’s a big excavator you had there...Shocked
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I feel guilty if I don't reply to your every update Luiz so forgive me if I say yet again...your outstanding commitment and attention to detail is astonishing. We struck lucky when you came along. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Wow. This is an almost unbelievable set up needed in order to produce these mats. Thank you again for your commitment to it.
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Thanks Luis!
We totally appreciate your time and commitment...
...Now I'm worried that I'm going to disrespect your work by putting those beautiful mats in my beat up Ghia:)!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Those insulation mat look fantastic, I will want a set of those, too!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Luis, you are making great progress on these. Thank you for the updates.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Any idea on the cost of a set of the insulation mats at this point?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Og50on16's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

WOW, If I could I would seriously go out and help out. Really appreciate all your time and effort!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Those insulation mat look fantastic, I will want a set of those, too!

Yes, Me too. ( not #me too)

I'll just flip them over to get RHD
Nicholas
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Just looking for my regular update fix- cheers.
Noticed the updated web page with the fixing strips, grommets and key pouch.👍
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

UP-DATE

Dear Low Light fiends,

Three weeks ago I posted that I was ready for production, well, I had to overcome new unexpected challenges:

Installing the new air compressor took me over a week, the electrical work had to be done by a licensed electrician, then, due to the size and weight of the new unit, I installed it inside the garage and run a 50' air line to the production line.

The good news is that with the constant pressure I am able to do the sprayed parts: the tunnel, the sill and the bulkhead mats, with no issues! It took me more tries that I expected to acquire the skills to do it right. Now, those pieces are coming beautiful!

But an unexpected problem arise: The floor mats had quality defects. First, I tried to do all 4 at once: I prepared the molds, applied the release agent, applied the color layer, applied the rear black layer, mixed the A & B components and started to pour it into the 4 lower molds. It was a disaster!
The mix started to cure when I was in the second mold, it was ugly. Then I left the paint overnight on the last two top molds and ruined them. I had to make them again. I understood that I need to make those mats one at a time. I tried that and was able to go through the process and made a set.
When I release them from the molds few hours latter, the front side was very nice, but all 4 had defects in the rear side:

I tough it was not enough material, so instead of 10% extra material from the calculated volume, I tried 15% and 20%, but the problem persisted.

I realized that the problem was that big air bubbles were trapped, displacing material out of the cavity. I did more tries trying to help the material to flatten using an aluminum bar. No luck. Every day the pile of wasted parts was getting bigger!

Last week I realized that the cure time was just to fast to let the material to set even all over, may be close to the limit for the smaller rear mat. That is why I was able to make my initial test to look just fine. At the time I noticed that one corner was thin, I tough is was because I pushed too hard in that area when I lowered the top mat. Now I realize that it was a small air bubble.

Last weekend I did a test using the spray-able material in both top and bottom molds. It looked fine but it was too soft for a floor mat. So Monday I ordered a small kit with different material, it basically has the same hardness but instead of a 1A:1B ratio, it has a 2A:1B ratio. The viscosity is 2000 instead of 700. The pour time is 20 minutes instead of 4, and the cure time is 16 hours instead of 4 hours. The kit arrived Thursday, I made a test trial, and when I demolded Friday morning, the result is great: no air bubbles at all! Now, the mats look great in both sides:

Finally I was able to sleep well!

Now I can make complete sets, with the quality that you expect. The colors are spot on. You will love them!

We started this project in the spring, I expected to finish production before the end of the summer. We are in the autumn now, and it is going to be cooler. This makes the process a little harder, as I will have to maintain the molds inside my basement, heat up the production line area to be above 65 degrees, make the mats, and return the molds inside to cure for 16 hours. Today I am buying a heater that can heat 3,000+ cubic feet, that means that I need a unit that provide at least 150,000 BTU. The options I have are a Propane Forced Air Heater or a Propane Convection Heather.

Tomorrow I am ordering the new material, I hope I can return the unopened containers of the material that did not work.

I really appreciate that, even if I am over two months behind schedule, no one has giving me any grievance or hard words. Thank you!

Be sure that I will fulfill every order, I understand that bad experiences of the past makes some of you nervous. This time nobody is to be rip-off.

I just added new products to the www.lowlightwerks.com website:

LLW-SA Sound Absorber Under-Mat Set (Six pieces set)

LLW-RS Rubber Seals front kick panel (Three pieces set)

LLW-FS Fixing Strip (Two pieces plus mounting screws)

LLW-KF Karmann Key Fob

As you can guess, at this point I am putting money from my pocket to get this done. I really need your support ordering them now, so they can ship with the mats. Please take into account that what you paid for the mats is a super deal.

While I wait for the material, I will prepare the packing materials. Pictures will be posted next week, so you can see all the items packed, you will be pleased!

Also, I will assemble the chassis and the body together, with the rubber seal in the middle, to install the mats inside the car.

When my son was home, it was easier to move the big parts with his help, now I will have to find a way to do it by myself!

In one earlier comment, one of you offered his help if he could be here. Well, I been thinking that it may work if you plan it as a small vacation and expend a few days or a weekend helping me!

Again, thank you for your patience and understanding.

Luis
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Impressive. Thank you for the update.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Insulation mats ordered.
Can not wait to get this stuff, but appreciate the attention to detail.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Aussie59Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hi Luis
Just zooming in on one of the trial mats you made and noticed the Phoenix logo missing. I’ve never seen the logo on your trial mat before?
Paul

Last edited by Aussie59Cab on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 51

Jump to: