Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I substituted the Phoenix logo with my LLW (LowLight Werks) logo. Regarding the numbers, I left them the way the original mats I had, have them.

Luis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aussie59Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Would having your logo underneath the mats to identify it’s your production be a better alternative and have the original Phoenix logo present?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Who cares? We all know they are not made by Phoenix and there is likely some issues with TM nonsense. And besides the molds are made. Just get it done Luis!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Yes Paul,

That is a good suggestion, I'll follow it for future molds. Thank you for your detail observations.
When the set is installed inside my car later in the week, I will place pictures of the installation steps. When all 8 mats, 6 sound absorbers and 14 mounting HW pieces are on place, observations will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Luis

Last edited by lajs57 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Placed my order for the insulation mats. Thanks again for your continued efforts!
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

I would make an order of the insulation set but I already had the Tarboard set installed when the car was restored. I will order them on the next build.
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Dear Karmann Ghia friends,

I am preparing the car to install the mats and sound absorvers, so I can take installation pictures. I am going to install the gearshift, the heating knob, the hand lever and the pedal cluster assemblies:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While unpacking all related parts, I noticed that the picture for the grommet set that was added to the Products available in the web-page is incorrect. I just update it with the correct parts:

What I am offering are the commercially available parts, that are similar to the original, but not exactly the same. Here are some pictures that show those details, the parts on the left are the originals:

I ordered the new material for the floor mats, also the 200 000 BTU Convection heather.

Shortly I"ll post the installation pictures!

I'll really appreciate your help by placing the orders for the sound absorber under-mats. For a limited time, I will include the Grommets, the Fixing Strips and the Key Fob for FREE!

THANK YOU!

Luis
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

UP-DATE

While waiting for the new chemicals, I am preparing the work area to be able to move the molds in and out every day. As the molds are pretty heavy, I am working in making a wheeled base for them.

Also, I finished to assemble the body and the chassis together, it was quite a task doing it all by myself!

I prepared all the assemblies that are in the car related to the mat set installation, here are some pictures of the related parts:

I am working on installing them now, so I can take a sequence of pictures, while installing the mats, that will work as instructions!

Luis
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

PRODUCTION IS ON!!!

Yesterday a complete set was made!
I installed it this morning, here is a beautiful GRAY set:

Today, after posting the updates, I'll make another one, and keep going until all orders are completed!

Instead of making a very big post, I'll brake them in themes, staring with the new production line set-up, the first production day, the packing, car preparation before installation, and installation.

so here we go!
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Beautiful
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

lajs57 wrote:
PRODUCTION IS ON!!!

Yesterday a complete set was made!
I installed it this morning, here is a beautiful GRAY set:

Today, after posting the updates, I'll make another one, and keep going until all orders are completed!

Instead of making a very big post, I'll brake them in themes, staring with the new production line set-up, the first production day, the packing, car preparation before installation, and installation.

so here we go!

Shocked Fantastic Luis...top top job...congratulations. Cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

PRODUCTION LINE

The road to get here has been full of challenges, some unexpected, most harder than expected. It took me more time, effort and money that I planned for. I really wanted to deliver before the end of the summer, now I’m a season late! The plan is to deliver before the end of the fall, by Christmas everyone should have their set!

Due to the cold weather in New Hampshire, I had to modify the set-up so that the molds will be at room temperature before making the parts and for the 16 hours of curing. I had to open up the necessary space in my basement and made a way to easily move the molds out to the spraying booth and returning them back.

First I tried small casters with brakes, but due to the irregular floor surface in the booth area, it was hard to move, jumping the door was not easy

So I adapted a cart that has big air wheels. Now I can easily move the big molds in and out, even if the door opening is just big enough!

I prepared the basement space covering the walls with plastic, covering the floor with my garage mats, re-arranging the space so I can have the 7 molds on place, the material dispensing and preparation areas in the side and the Accumulator in the center. I need the accumulator to rest the molded pieces without deforming them, as after releasing them from the molds, the rubber parts can NOT be folded for 5-7 days to prevent deformation.

Now the booth area is empty until a part is made. I turn on the heater before working to warm up the space. I make then one at a time. For the floor mats I apply the release agent and the color layer in the booth and bring the mold inside for pouring the polyurethane. One advantage to do this inside, is that the leveling is stable and precise.
For the other molds I spray the rubber in the booth, and then bring them in for curing.

Here you can see the accumulator, that has a flat area and two areas for the front mat, that I made with the first molds I made, as they have the correct shape to hold the bulkhead mats.

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Too nice to step on. You'll have to remove shoes before driving. Smile
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

FIRST PRODUCTION DAY

I did not mention in the earlier post, that the mold for the front mat has a rotary base to facilitate the rubber spraying!

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Go Luis!!!!

Great to see that post! Hope it's going as you planned and the process is as smooth as can be.
lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

PACKING

In the following pictures I show a complete set that includes all the available parts.

I want to clarify that at this time, the LLW-SA Sound Absorber set shown is the prototype a did manually. Making them manually is time consuming and the cuts are not perfect. I researched for ways to cut them: Cutting dies were reasonable in cost until considering the cost of the press to punch them. Laser cutting was not feasible due to the flammability of rubber and strong fumes.The shop where I did the laser testing suggested water jet cutting. I took the material to ACP Waterjet in Massachusetts. They can do it and the cuts will be perfect!
The under-mats are made of two materials: a pressed recycled rubber layer 5 mm thick for the floor under-mats and 2 mm thick for the tunnel under mats, and a semi-rigid layer of a roofing material that has the looks of the original parts from VW. They will be glued together with a strong adhesive. They have two functions: Great for sound absorbing, reducing noise to have a nicer and quieter ride AND a flat base for the rubber floor mats. You invested in a very nice set of mats, they won't look right without a nice base!
The plan is to make them all at once. I talked with the 2 material suppliers and they can drop-ship the rolls of material directly to the water-jet facility. I will pickup the cut pieces and bond them together. Quick and easy. We will need at least 20 sets to make this happen. PLEASE place your orders now, I will really appreciate your support. I have been always transparent with you, and appreciate your patience and understanding for the delay in producing the mats. I underestimated the complexity and cost of manufacturing the complete set of 8 mats. At this time I'm not making any profit, in the other hand, I've been using my credit cards.
I need your support with the Sound Absorbers, they are not cheap, but please consider that the price you paid for the mats was a super deal.
At this time, I will include the Front mat side clips, the grommet set and the key fob. Again, for this to happen, I need at least the 20 orders to place the orders for the gifts.

Well, here are the packing details, it is a box 30" x 24" x 7"
All the boxes, tubes and bags used were samples from U-Line, I'm placing the order for all the 50 sets.

Only 1 side clip is shown here, because the other one is with the company the quoted the sheet metal fabrication, including powder coating.

lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

CAR PREPARATION

Before installing the set of mats in your LowLight Karmann Ghia, some preparation will make the job easier and correctly done.

Taking the seats out will really help!
Cleaning the complete area is important.
The choke cable MUST be pushed inside the cabin before installing the Front bulkhead mat. Taking the gas tank out facilitates this task.
Regarding the Steering Column, there are two options: Uninstall it (a big task) or making a straight cut on the top orifice of the Front Mat, about 1" in length.
To install the Tunnel Mat, the heather know must be released.

Be careful to not pull the reserve lever to the front, as the other end is wider. You need to push it .

Release the choke cable end at the engine, pull cable from tunnel entrance under gas tank, push cable inside cabin.

lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

INSTALLATION

I will post pictures now and will add some text latter, as it is getting late and I need to start making today's set!

UNDER-MAT SOUND ABSORBERS

lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

INSTALLATION

Tunnel mat

lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight floor mats....possible reproduction source Reply with quote

INSTALLATION

Sill Mats

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 51

Jump to: