Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shortened Rat rod 64
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: shortened Rat rod 64 Reply with quote

before i start off with the pics here i would just like to say that i did not do the cutting here, i just salvaged a project that was going to go the dump.

so here i am with a 64 body and a unknown pan, the pan has been shortened 28 inches makeing it so you sit in the back seat. it was free.

what it looked like when i got it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

later that afternoon i pressure washed the body and pan, to remove some of the extreamly thick grease and old paint.

since we are finishing the project as it was started its going to bee a rat rod. we primed the body accordingly

and after the pan was dry we painted it.

and this is what we hope the project will turn out like

so over all we got alot done in one day, we still have to shorten the shift rod, find a new tranney (the one in it is a mystery tranney) and a motor. as for the body we will have to cut pie sections out of the heater channel area and bend the body in to meet with the front, im not sure how that will turn out but were hopeing for the best.
dirtydeedss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sooooo goona do that
check these out

submachinegun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please dont do it to one that can be saved. Shocked

http://OstKuste.com/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't let my own personal distate of that project come into play here, but something to keep in mind is that you can't just drive around a Bug with a hacked off roof and expect it to have any kind of structural integrity. Look at any Karmann-built convertible and you'll see what I mean. Not just the side reinforcement rails under the heater channels, but they're braced EVERYWHERE.

No offense, but odds are there's a reason that car got hauled off to the dump.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Bugnut...

Looks like it was structurally weak where it broke.

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not really worrying about the structure of the car, we are going to fab up custome body mounts and weld in the doors when we get some, the body will be one piece again.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runslikeapenguin wrote:
im not really worrying about the structure of the car, we are going to fab up custome body mounts and weld in the doors when we get some, the body will be one piece again.

Good plan... Rolling Eyes Doesn't matter if you put the body into one piece again, that sumbitch is gonna flex like a mofo...looks like it's basically trash now. No offense intended AT ALL, but it looks like a waste of time and effort, especially given what you're starting with. Not like you're saving anything worthwhile, from the vintage standpoint.

Custom body mounts won't do shit for structure and keeping the thing from twisting and flexing. Not to mention that thing won't handle for shit with such a tiny wheelbase. I never did understand the whole "shortened" Bug or Bus thing, but, my opinion notwithstanding, I can't say you've got much to lose, it looks like.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
I can't say you've got much to lose, it looks like.

Except a whole lot of time and money. But maybe he can prove us wrong... Wink

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M. wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
I can't say you've got much to lose, it looks like.

Except a whole lot of time and money. But maybe he can prove us wrong... Wink

well i allready have Smile so far i have spent squat. and i dont plan on spending any money, i believe in fact that i believe i have all the parts to finish this. as for the front end, i will show you in a while how we are going to extend the front beam back to a stock position. im not looking for critical pureist views, im just salvaging a project and makeing a bitching rat rod out of it, heck we even have some tail pipe flame throwers that were going to go into the T bucket Twisted Evil
Matt Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know an old man that used to take beat-to-hell bodies off of bugs and drive the pan around his farm. he built a 2 inch square tubing frame around the edge of the pan and added cross bracing i have to say that pan was so strong you could put a cut open body on one with a little bracing in the body and you'd be fine.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1962 x3 wrote:
i know an old man that used to take beat-to-hell bodies off of bugs and drive the pan around his farm. he built a 2 inch square tubing frame around the edge of the pan and added cross bracing i have to say that pan was so strong you could put a cut open body on one with a little bracing in the body and you'd be fine.

It's not the pan you have to worry about flexing, it's the body. Reread my posts again. Better yet, look at a 'vert from the Karmann coachworks and you'll see what I mean.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there will be no doors then I wouldn't worry about flexing. Cutting the top will make the body flex, worse case scenario (unless you're racing, etc) is you can't open/close your doors reliably anymore. No doors, no real problem. Do dune buggy builders strengthen their pans, not really.

Looks like a fun project. Check out www.volksrods.com, less purist talk and more fun Wink
onebad65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that thing will be plenty strong with the doors welded up, looks like a worthwhile project to me, long as you dont speed a ton of cash on it. i think it great that you saved it from the trash pile just becouse its not something pure or vintage doesnt mean its not worth saving. it has the potential to be bitching and whoever says otherwise has no vision or imagination of any kind. rock on with that project.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onebad65 wrote:
that thing will be plenty strong with the doors welded up, looks like a worthwhile project to me, long as you dont speed a ton of cash on it. i think it great that you saved it from the trash pile just becouse its not something pure or vintage doesnt mean its not worth saving. it has the potential to be bitching and whoever says otherwise has no vision or imagination of any kind. rock on with that project.

Whatever. His project, that's cool. But having common sense is not the same as lacking vision or imagination. VolksRods are for some, not me, but hey, rock on bro.
onebad65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

common sense tells me the shortened car could be made strong with the proper bracing and some imagination, certainly a fun inexpensive ride that would otherwise have been a total waste.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see im getting a little support, i lowered the pan but i did not get any pics, the swing is sitting just under level without the motor and we only have about 1 inch of travel will this be a problem? i mean a crappy ride is a given but im looking at touching the ground.

well any way we found a motor and were starting to streach the front and lower it so ill have pics soon.

by the way how do you guys think this thing would look with a 6 inch wider beam?
Bravo 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's awesome that you're doing that. Clearly the car is in pretty poor shape (less than 60% of it? Laughing) for a 'stock' restoration, my personal preference. However, I think it's great that you're trying to get something in this shape back on the road. Just because it can't go back doesn't mean it should be scrapped! Power to you!

However, just a suggestion, or rather, friendly opinion, I'd like to second the idea of not putting doors on it. If you're gonna keep it a convertible, fill it up so that you've got some support on there.
VWRAT67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fricken killer....What you have to understand is if you ask a purist what they think they will say that your wasting your time, but if you ask a rat rod guy they will say your building a show stopper...Take your pics. over to volksrods.com and I guarantee you will get totally different opinions than you will find here....Good luck with your project I can't wait to see it finished..And even if it doesn't work out they way you want at least you had the fun of trying to build a killer ratrod and if it does work out then you got yourself a sweet little car that would be worth a bit of money in the volksroders scene...I got your back on this one.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on buggies, it's common to put caster shims on the front as it helps stablize it on highway speed, especially if it's been lowered alot.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car rocks. I don't think you'll have any big flex problems with it since it's shortened and you won't be running doors. Fiberglass buggy frames are allot less sound than a shortened steel body with no gap for the doors, and they seem to do okay.
I'd put the front end way the hell out in front of the hood. I'd look for nice stock bugs to park it next too, so the owner can get all mad when people walk past them to beg you for rides!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: