Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shortened Rat rod 64
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
renderit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Confession of a blasphemer... Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Beladona_13 wrote:
Let me just say that it was I who started this project. Very Happy It was I who cut a very clean 64 sunroof body. Cool It was I who chopped up a nice 62 pan. Why? To piss off some purists? No, I did it because I thought it would be fun. Wink The VW Experience is different to each and every individual, for some it's an obesession, for others it's a hobby. That said, after starting the work, I found that I had no more room for what we came to call "Shorty McBug". So, after a few weeks of running the ad on THESAMBA.COM and getting harassed daily with no takers Evil or Very Mad , Keith rescued the car from a trip to the dump. I departed my best advice on to him where finishing the fabrication was concerned and the rest you've read here. Let me just say that in the before pictures, the car IS NOT BROKEN! The pan was welded solid, but the body was still in two pieces and only on the pan to check their fit to the pan! There will be no doors, as the shell is just too short for them to work, so they get welded solid, adding strcuctural integrity. Once the body is welded solid, this car will have no more flex than an wooden egg. The size, shape, and rigidity of the body will in fact, with the right motor, lend itself to wheelies! I say bravo! to the man with the guts to finish my vision in spite of naysayers and the aforementioned purists. Bravo!
Applause
And btw Keith, I just wound up with more body pieces, so call me if you need anything in particular. I'll help where I can!

Admitting you ruined a clean, solid VW to create a clown car POS? Damn, you've got guts. IMO, there's plenty of wasted-ass rustbucket fat chicks to destroy out there, so why on earth you're in here admitting that you chose to cut up a clean, solid sunroof car is beyond me.

The kid--and I emphasize KID--can do whatever he wants, as it's his project now, but coming in here to stir the pot by informing the rest of the world that you elected to cut up a solid Bug is absolutely retarded, in my opinion, and you've pretty much opened up the door to pissing off the people who wouldn't have given a shit otherwise.

Mark my words, that rolling cartoon will end up in a wrecking yard before the decade is over. Bravo! Laughing

Look at his login id. Says it all. Suicidal Laughing Shocked
Everpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Confession of a blasphemer... Reply with quote

renderit wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
Beladona_13 wrote:
Let me just say that it was I who started this project. Very Happy It was I who cut a very clean 64 sunroof body. Cool It was I who chopped up a nice 62 pan. Why? To piss off some purists? No, I did it because I thought it would be fun. Wink The VW Experience is different to each and every individual, for some it's an obesession, for others it's a hobby. That said, after starting the work, I found that I had no more room for what we came to call "Shorty McBug". So, after a few weeks of running the ad on THESAMBA.COM and getting harassed daily with no takers Evil or Very Mad , Keith rescued the car from a trip to the dump. I departed my best advice on to him where finishing the fabrication was concerned and the rest you've read here. Let me just say that in the before pictures, the car IS NOT BROKEN! The pan was welded solid, but the body was still in two pieces and only on the pan to check their fit to the pan! There will be no doors, as the shell is just too short for them to work, so they get welded solid, adding strcuctural integrity. Once the body is welded solid, this car will have no more flex than an wooden egg. The size, shape, and rigidity of the body will in fact, with the right motor, lend itself to wheelies! I say bravo! to the man with the guts to finish my vision in spite of naysayers and the aforementioned purists. Bravo!
Applause
And btw Keith, I just wound up with more body pieces, so call me if you need anything in particular. I'll help where I can!

Admitting you ruined a clean, solid VW to create a clown car POS? Damn, you've got guts. IMO, there's plenty of wasted-ass rustbucket fat chicks to destroy out there, so why on earth you're in here admitting that you chose to cut up a clean, solid sunroof car is beyond me.

The kid--and I emphasize KID--can do whatever he wants, as it's his project now, but coming in here to stir the pot by informing the rest of the world that you elected to cut up a solid Bug is absolutely retarded, in my opinion, and you've pretty much opened up the door to pissing off the people who wouldn't have given a shit otherwise.

Mark my words, that rolling cartoon will end up in a wrecking yard before the decade is over. Bravo! Laughing

Look at his login id. Says it all. Suicidal Laughing Shocked

And gender challenged.

1969 Bay Camper
Work in progress…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Confession of a blasphemer... Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Beladona_13 wrote:
Applause

yeah, youve got a problem man, i dont know what it is but something is serioulsy up your ass, mabey its the fact that you never got do cool stuff when you were a kid and I emphasize KID! and you just need to vent or mabey its the fact that you had to stick with a stock bug because you dont have any fab skills. i dont know but all i really have to say shut the hell up, all ive heard so far is "stupid kids" "terd car" "worthless" blah blah blahblah blah. no one cares. youve voiced your opinion now go curl up and brood over the fact that this is not your car and there is nothing you can do about it.
crazyman_stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno about you guys, but i think mac n cheese fuckin rocks
1967 Savanah Beige Beetle-FORSALE!!
1965 Hunk o' Shit-soon to be V-Bucket
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we were going to bend the rear in to meet with the front but instead i think im going to cut the front in half and streach it out, its less metal and it wont mess with anything.

it will also help with fitting the front hood extension
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll save the majority of my true thoughts for the thread in the rants, but I will just say this: cutting up a solid, rust free sunroof Bug is fucking LAME! And I don't give a shit how little YOU want to hear it, as that comment was directed at the so-called originator of your project, not you...and I posted that only with the assumption that the guy wasn't completely full of shit, looking for a reaction.

As for you, yeah, you're just a kid. Good luck with the rolling cartoon, though, and make sure you wear a helmet when you drive it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's hundreds of unwanted projects for under $300 out there. Take you pick, restore them all to factory if you want to save them all. Bugs aren't as rare as you think. What other classic car can you buy with at least 500 different sellers to choose from at any given time.

The project's looking better. The extended axles makes it looks ton better.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick wrote:

The project's looking better. The extended axles makes it looks ton better.

yeah they do they created a few problems but nothing we cant solve,
i was going to widen the front part of the body rather than the back, it seems like it would be easyer rather than the front, do you see any problems here? im asking you because of the amount of fab work youve done on yours.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what part you want to extend, move the nose forward?

Post your progress on volksrods.com in the main cutting board section. The members section (meant for a kind of blog) is closed for replies besides the originator of the thread, so that's why nobody replied to your thread. You'll get alot more creative input
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listed to closed minded purist idiots, Have a blast with it. Perhaps you could make multiple slices in the heater channel at the aft corners and do the come-a-long idea that someone else suggested to make the middle meet? Then weld the cuts back up. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick wrote:
not sure what part you want to extend, move the nose forward?

like this,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

instead of squishing the back well streach the front, this will also make the hood streach easyer to.

were going around the tankm mount and the front firewall section to avoind problems re installing the body to the pan.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather narrow then widen a body, narrowing will be alot easier. When you widen you'll need a donor body for added materials. Also if you have a '65 or later bug the windshield is curved, meaning you can't get a custom made glass for it (well if you can find someone that can make one fro you it'll cost you a small fortune) or you'll have to use lexan (which isn't that safe as a windshield) and can no longer use the windshield wipers. Just my 2 cents...
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what other materials will we need besides a small amount of sheet metal for the area between the two window posts, the rest we can just path with sheet metal and not worry about it because they will be covered by the hood. so the only part your going to see is the small section by the windsheild wipers.

and as for the windsheild were going plexi glass
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to widen the front or narrow the rear anyways? Is it because they don't meet flush anymore. Just a little pie cut on the heater channels and pans to push the rear back in will do the trick. Pretty much cut a slit long enough until you can pull the entire sides inwards or outwards, then weld the sides flush and fill in the pie-gap.

I just wrote a mini-article on it, though yours will be on a bigger scale but basically the same process and you'll bend the entire channel (piecut the floorpans) instead of just a side of the channel (like how I did it on the article).
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?s=2cc7cb654f8550ede26126cbb302d1b1&showtopic=15187

I did a similar technique on my bug when I relocated the body back 10". Definitely alot easier then widening hald the body. If you widen the body, you'll need to get a donor windshield frame for the extra space or make your own. There's alot of twists and lips through the body (hood lip, the hood itself, etc). You could fabricate you own donor section but some parts will be trickier then others. Will probably take a weekend or two to widen it, or a couple hours to pie-cut. That's up to you which you want to do and how much time you're willing to spend on this mod.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick wrote:
Why do you want to widen the front or narrow the rear anyways? Is it because they don't meet flush anymore. Just a little pie cut on the heater channels and pans to push the rear back in will do the trick. Pretty much cut a slit long enough until you can pull the entire sides inwards or outwards, then weld the sides flush and fill in the pie-gap.

it seems to me like if we bent in that gap we would be screwing up the back. or were you just suggesting we just move the outside of the heater channel. so it meets on the out side and not the inside

Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd do, pie cut the pans (marked in red). You may need to cut a few other places around the luggage areas but not hard to weld back into palce anyways. Then once you have enough movement move the entire (or a portion) of the high-lighted area inwards then weld flush. With pie-cuts, the longer you make the cut, the less obvious the bend will be. So if you just cut 5 inches off, there will be an obvious bump where it was made. But if you make the cut a couple feet then nobody would be able to tell it was re-alligned.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick wrote:
What I'd do, pie cut the pans (marked in red). You may need to cut a few other places around the luggage areas but not hard to weld back into palce anyways. Then once you have enough movement move the entire (or a portion) of the high-lighted area inwards then weld flush. With pie-cuts, the longer you make the cut, the less obvious the bend will be. So if you just cut 5 inches off, there will be an obvious bump where it was made. But if you make the cut a couple feet then nobody would be able to tell it was re-alligned.

hmm im likeing that, so your suggesting that we not only pie cut the heater channels but travel all the way up to the luggage area. we have a plazma cutter that might make it a little easyer and more exact. thanks man.
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a pic of something I saw at the 88' Sac Bug O' Rama.
Kind a similar

68' Vert
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! we fit the body to the pan, the cuts may be ugly but they will work!

all we need to do now is cut the sheet metal for the doors and weld and gring em up

so while we were waiting on some desicisions we found some old seats from a golf cart and we customized the seat rail for them

and after all that was done we did some custome apolstery.

we still have to do the seat back but were not sure how we want to mount it and the staple gun broke so another project for another day:)
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh and some friends of ours visited the shop and decorated the bug for us, i think im going to leave it

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: