Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering a Bay FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Check my gallery for pics (some posted a few replies above too). I’m not super slammed by any means, and I’m also running 17’s with (near) stock diameter tires. I’m as far down as I can go without needing tubs and notches. I only get the slightest of a rub up front when completely loaded and hit a larger bump/dip.

Those trailing arms are interesting... I’d have to go poke my head back underneath to see, but I thought the cv shaft would be the first interference. Also, maybe there is difference in frame rails between early and late bays? Not sure on that either.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Saw the pics. Looks good.

Anyone have photos and/or a how-to of how they notched their frame?

I noticed that same company I just linked sells a bolt-in c-notch kit. Basically line it up, cut the notch, then drill the holes and bolt the kit to the frame. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/1968-79-bus-bolt-on-c-notch-clips/
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I wouldn't mess with those bolt on frame notches. If you're going to be cutting into your frame, do it right and weld everything in. Theres three general types of rear notches.

First there's the regular c-notch for the cv's
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then there is a big notch for both trailing arm and cv. This way you retain some of the original frame, box it in, and add more material on top.

Lastly, there are the big daddy notches where you cut out the entire section of frame and replace it with rectangular tube tucked as high as you can get it.

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
Saw the pics. Looks good.

Anyone have photos and/or a how-to of how they notched their frame?

I noticed that same company I just linked sells a bolt-in c-notch kit. Basically line it up, cut the notch, then drill the holes and bolt the kit to the frame. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/1968-79-bus-bolt-on-c-notch-clips/

Not sure bolt on is the ticket. I used a 5" tube, cut it in half and hole sawed the notch and welded it in. Bottoms out right before engine hits the ground.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Excellent explanation on the different notches and their progression Trashman!

bonzai272, just depends on how low you want to go... on stock diameter tires, I’m at the practical limit (at least IMO). Shorter tires would be the next easy thing, past that it’s tubs and notches.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut, your bus is so clean. Yours is set basically exactly how I would do it, as low as possible without notching and without axle hitting. However, Id probably go with 15" wheels instead.

Anyone have any photos with 15" wheels as low as itll go without hitting, notching or tubbing?
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
Vee Dub Nut, your bus is so clean. Yours is set basically exactly how I would do it, as low as possible without notching and without axle hitting. However, Id probably go with 15" wheels instead.

Anyone have any photos with 15" wheels as low as itll go without hitting, notching or tubbing?

Thanks bonzai!

I could certainly go lower on some 15's and shorter tires without requiring any body mods, but I love the look of the 17" Fuchs.

I have some pics of it on the stock 14's and 185s at this height. Since my current 17" fronts are 0.5" shorter than stock, I do get a tendency to rub a bit when the stock height tires are back on up front. That and the rears won't go on without airing them down first to squeeze past the fender lip. That's another plus of the 17", since its ID is bigger, the rears go on with no games.

67 Beetle (TBD)

pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope someone can help with a pic.
I had my bay mild lowered inch or so all round but I'd like to get rid of the negative camber .

I read on the first page from long-roofs post
Quote:
when lowering the rear, you can maintain good camber if you shim on the top bolts between where the spring plate and trailing arm meet.

which ones exactly are the top bolts, my wheels are off while I install engine and I may as well tackle this but if theres a 50/50 I don't want to mess it up.

is shim still seen as acceptable route to reduce camber ?

PG

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:

Here is mine with 5" narrowed, adjustable front beam and 3 1/2" plates out back. I'm running on 15x5.5 wheels with 195/55-15 tires. It was 2" lower up front, but with the family going with me all over and camping, we kept scrubbing front tires and din't want that.

0616161532c by Camper Mike '72, on Flickr

buscamping3 by Camper Mike '72, on Flickr
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

That is perfect, thanks for sharing!
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I found a pair of horseshoe plates in a box from the previous owner but no markings on them.

They are however, zinc coated. Anyone know who might have made them? Most the ones Ive seen are raw or black.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
I found a pair of horseshoe plates in a box from the previous owner but no markings on them.

They are however, zinc coated. Anyone know who might have made them? Most the ones Ive seen are raw or black.

Could be these? https://type2detectives.com/collections/suspension...-early-bay
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Couple quick questions I'm sure easy answers but hard to find in this long thread.

Installing 3.25" horseshoe plates on rear of my 70 bus, I need to remove drums in order to disconnect e-brake....correct?

I'll obviously remove the bump stop but will I also need to cut off the bump stop arm near the spring plate?

Is disconnecting the hard brake line from the wheel cylinder required?

Lastly, what shocks are people running?
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I think I found some of my answers. Yes drums need to be removed but doesnt appear I need to cut off the bump stop arm.

Still not sure if disconnecting the hard brake line is required and what type of shocks people are running.

Ive read stock shocks and "bug shocks" but no specifics. Anyone?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I used KYB's from the back of a bug with horseshoe plates. Rode really good, and bolted up cheap and easy.

I don't think you will need to remove the hard line. There should be just enough flex in the soft line to get stuff moved around and in position.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I assume you used stock length rear bug shocks instead of lowered bug shocks, right?

What did you use for the front shocks? (assuming you had an adjustable beam with dropped spindles)
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Got the rear end finished today. Ran out of good daylight so Ill post pictures later.

Installed 3.25" horseshoe plates and went with 15x5.5 chrome 5-spokes on 185/60R15 tires.

I was luckily able to get the rear wheels on without having to flatten the tire or do anything else. I dont have shocks on the rear yet though so that may have helped.

Driving around the block wasnt even that bouncy without shocks so I may leave it shock-less. We'll see.

No notching needed either as no impact between axle and frame, even with me jumping on the bumper. No tire rubbing either.

Still waiting on the front beam to arrive so I can get the nose down level.
bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

3.25" horseshoe plates installed with 15x5.5 chrome 5 spokes on 185/60R15 tires. no rubbing, no frame notching, no axle hitting frame, no having to flatten tire to get wheels mounted.

bonzai272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Got my Wagenswest 4" narrowed beam finally installed. Bus already had dropped spindles.

atech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

bonzai272 wrote:
Got my Wagenswest 4" narrowed beam finally installed. Bus already had dropped spindles.

looks sweet!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 225 of 235

Jump to: