Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering a Bay FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DASLWST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone in the states making endplates for an early bay? Or have the file so I can get them cut?
vee dub dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hello,

I bought a lowered bus recently and looking for some input. Has the slam the bay kit on it running 195/60-14 all around.

The engine blew on the way home from camping. It looks like a mix of a bad intake gasket and part failure. But we cruise between 55-58 mph most of the time and that's almost 4000 RPM.

I see a lot of people running similar sized tires. Has anyone changed their transmission gearing, or just built a higher revving engine? I think i'm going to try some bigger rear tires, at the very least for the summer, but just curious what others have done.

I'm going to test fit some 185r14 LT tires in the rear soon to see what it looks like, but I don't know if low profile in the front and light truck tires in the back are a good idea or not. Assuming they remotely fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fresh Air VW Car Club - Pittsburgh, PA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Yes, running small diameter tires with a stock geared trans can cause issues. Fit the tallest tire you can in there, or build a trans with taller gearing. Try to get the final drive ratio (with tire diameter calculated into that formula) as close to stock as possible, if you continue to use a stock-ish engine.

Sorry to hear about your engine failure. It may or may not have been due to excess RPM, but it sucks either way.
vee dub dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Yes, running small diameter tires with a stock geared trans can cause issues. Fit the tallest tire you can in there, or build a trans with taller gearing. Try to get the final drive ratio (with tire diameter calculated into that formula) as close to stock as possible, if you continue to use a stock-ish engine.

Sorry to hear about your engine failure. It may or may not have been due to excess RPM, but it sucks either way.

My friends and I agree that it may have exposed and accelerated 1-2 small issues, but that it probably would have done it regardless of RPM at some point.

Fresh Air VW Car Club - Pittsburgh, PA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

vee dub dan wrote:
Hello,

I bought a lowered bus recently and looking for some input. Has the slam the bay kit on it running 195/60-14 all around.

The engine blew on the way home from camping. It looks like a mix of a bad intake gasket and part failure. But we cruise between 55-58 mph most of the time and that's almost 4000 RPM.

I see a lot of people running similar sized tires. Has anyone changed their transmission gearing, or just built a higher revving engine? I think i'm going to try some bigger rear tires, at the very least for the summer, but just curious what others have done.

I'm going to test fit some 185r14 LT tires in the rear soon to see what it looks like, but I don't know if low profile in the front and light truck tires in the back are a good idea or not. Assuming they remotely fit.

The tire you're running now is 2.5" shorter than stock, and produces a ~ 10% difference in circumference, height, and speedometer error. Using a close to stock height tire should be very beneficial. A 185r14 like you stated should fit fine and help out a lot. I run a stock height tire on the rear and am lowered more than your bus with no issues. I do recommend it. Maybe this is the time to build a larger engine, then you can calculate the package all together for efficiency. Good luck!
garymaertens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hey guys quick question, I was about to install the rear horseshoe plates in the next week or so and I heard that there has to be modifications or replacement to the rear brake lines?? I hear a lot about you brake cable stuff and that all looks pretty straightforward to do, but nothing about brake line modifications any first hand experience on that..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I think I had to re bend my rear brake hardlines but it was no big deal as I recall.
garymaertens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Okay right on. I appreciate the reply 👍
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hey dudes
Was wondering if anyone has information on this westfalia, like specifically what was used on the lowering aspect... any info much appreciated . Thanks

GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Hi guys. I have a front end knock on a lowered type 2 bus.
I've just measured the front shock travel
With the bus on its wheels the top shock bolt to bottom shock bolt is 300mm.
With the shock fitted and the bus on its wheels I only have 1 and a 1/4 inch shock travel till it bottoms out. This is with no front seat passenger, so with more weight that number will drop.

What number should I be at travel wise.
Thanks.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Hi guys. I have a front end knock on a lowered type 2 bus.
I've just measured the front shock travel
With the bus on its wheels the top shock bolt to bottom shock bolt is 300mm.
With the shock fitted and the bus on its wheels I only have 1 and a 1/4 inch shock travel till it bottoms out. This is with no front seat passenger, so with more weight that number will drop.

What number should I be at travel wise.
Thanks.

I don't have a definite answer regarding how much compression your shock absorber needs, but I have a few suggestions:

From what I understand, rule of thumb is you want 2x the compression potential than extension from ride height. AKA, if the shock has 6" of travel, you want to have 4" of compression and 2" of extension.

Your current shock, sitting 11.8" tall at ride height, compressed 1.25" will bottom out. That gives around a 10.5" compressed length. I would guess the extended length is somewhere around 15"? You can check this to confirm. But 1.25" of compression sounds insufficient.

The other major thing to consider is how much clearance your tire has before it contacts the dogleg/ wheel well of the bus? How low is your bus/ what specs? Pics?

Sometimes shopping for shocks is difficult due to the lack of specs provided by the sellers, but I would assume you might want something closer to a 9" compressed length? Again, all very dependent on your set up.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I'll get some more specs tomorrow, but is not slammed, top of tyre isn't tucked under the arch. No tyre scrub marks on underside of arch. 2 people sat in the front will be getting the inch and a quarter down to half inch I think. I'll get 2 people to sit in the van and remeasure. I scribed a bottoming out mark on the shock body so I'll be able to tell from there. The shocks on it now might even be standard length ones.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
I'll get some more specs tomorrow, but is not slammed, top of tyre isn't tucked under the arch. No tyre scrub marks on underside of arch. 2 people sat in the front will be getting the inch and a quarter down to half inch I think. I'll get 2 people to sit in the van and remeasure. I scribed a bottoming out mark on the shock body so I'll be able to tell from there. The shocks on it now might even be standard length ones.

As long as you measured the shock at ride height, now you can remove it and cycle it to see it's compressed and extended lengths. As long as you know the length at ride height, you will be able to source a new, correct length shock. I would agree that if you're not very low, they may be stock size.
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

Okay, so after days of reading this and a couple other threads I believe I have an answer to my question, but could use validation: 1970 bus, stock wheels, getting new Hankook tires. Just trying to drop a couple inches so I can get my hightop inside by 8' garage door (both are 94-1/2"). 2-1/2" drop spindles, and notch in the back should even it up. Sound right? When I switch to disc brakes I'll need the babystangs from Nate or 15" wheels, which will be a different challenge due to the width.

Other options?
CalLookVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

after using 4.5 in drop plates on my 70 deluxe, the cable sheathing no longer reaches. Hoping someone has come across this before. I have already cut up the old cable piece and can use it as a sleeve between the backing plate and the sheathing, but now the cable may/will not reach all the way to the lever up front.

'67 Squareback
'68 Sunroof beetle - 1st bug, bought back
'70 Bay window deluxe
'71 Bay window
-----------------------------------
'14 Jetta SE 1.8T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

I could probably machine you up a pair Like a sleeve type thing it would fit over the e break aluminum part and slide into the baking plate . I have a mazak lathe and a Bridgeport Manuel mill should be able to make them in about 3 days out of t6 aluminum.... and to everyone else WHY IS THIS THREAD SO DEAD!? geez wiz! Let’s see some slammed rides!!! I thought with all this stimulus money going around and everyone having some extra time on their hands I thought I would see a lot more bad ass bay’s coming out the lowering kitchen !!!! ps I now it’s really expensive to lower a bay the right way Sad so I know that probably has a lot to do with it ... family , food , water & a roof over head comes first ! But can we see some inspirational pics!? ....please??? Very Happy
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

The swing axle guys use a collar/sleeve for that gap.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

panel wrote:
The swing axle guys use a collar/sleeve for that gap.

Yep. You can make them out of section of old tie rod using a grinder. Or you can buy one for a split bus application and shorten it a little. Or you can get some machined by a pro.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1973717
cooper363
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

xcoldgrimjimx wrote:
I could probably machine you up a pair Like a sleeve type thing it would fit over the e break aluminum part and slide into the baking plate . I have a mazak lathe and a Bridgeport Manuel mill should be able to make them in about 3 days out of t6 aluminum.... and to everyone else WHY IS THIS THREAD SO DEAD!? geez wiz! Let’s see some slammed rides!!! I thought with all this stimulus money going around and everyone having some extra time on their hands I thought I would see a lot more bad ass bay’s coming out the lowering kitchen !!!! ps I now it’s really expensive to lower a bay the right way Sad so I know that probably has a lot to do with it ... family , food , water & a roof over head comes first ! But can we see some inspirational pics!? ....please??? Very Happy

I use this thread for info, I have spent so much time reading but never posted anything so here is my 68 Deluxe, no tubs, no air ride

xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a Bay FAQ Reply with quote

[/list]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 232 of 235

Jump to: