Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stereo Systems installation in Splitties
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody using one of those amplified super slim subwoofer setups in there SC or panel van?

I was thinking about getting a 8" sub because the prices actually seem reasonable on these type units now.

Space is a huge issue in the single cab and they look like they'd fit under the seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of companies are making those now. They are very similar to the ones found in modern car factory installations, which leads me to believe that they could be found even cheaper at a wreckers. A sub unit that is able to produce decent bass in a cab the size of a ford flex would be amazing in a single cab.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
65Busstop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sound Ordinance sub like that in my panel turned camper non walk through. It does not fit under seat. I have mine standing up behind passenger seat.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of junkyard stuff has weird impedance ratings and would not work with typical aftermarkets amps.
A great way to make a small sealed enclosure is to use fiberglass and mold it right into the cavity where you want it. Put a flat wood front on it, mold it all together through the hole for your speaker, and you've got a nice, stealth low profile enclosure for your sub.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these. You might find them on ebay or get lucky on a search.

They fit in either spare tire location. A tiny one-channel amp can be hidden anywhere.

Your system looks like it might fit under a bus seat but I don't know if that would be safe to crank up if you'd eaten greasy burritos.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
A lot of junkyard stuff has weird impedance ratings and would not work with typical aftermarkets amps.
A great way to make a small sealed enclosure is to use fiberglass and mold it right into the cavity where you want it. Put a flat wood front on it, mold it all together through the hole for your speaker, and you've got a nice, stealth low profile enclosure for your sub.

That may work. But, most speakers come tuned to a certain volume of enclosure. An average 10" sub will want an enclosure of around 1.1 square feet...much more space than what is available in a single cab.

The factory units and the aftermarket powered units have amps built in and are tuned to their enclosure already. Like this one, http://focal-america.com/product/ibus-2-1/ , very small and slim.

Gordo.

TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

That may work. But, most speakers come tuned to a certain volume of enclosure. An average 10" sub will want an enclosure of around 1.1 square feet...much more space than what is available in a single cab.

Gordo.
Most 10" subs will use way less then 1.1 cu. ft.. If you can use a shallow mount sub from one of the more reputable brands(Kicker,MB Quart,Phoenix Gold,Pioneer), they can be in a enclosure as small as .4 cu ft, which is about as big as the box it comes in. I put 3 slim Phoenix Gold subs in a box that was 33X11X4 which was 1.2 cu ft overall. Small enough to fit under a bench.
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

Gordo.
Most 10" subs will use way less then 1.1 cu. ft.. If you can use a shallow mount sub from one of the more reputable brands(Kicker,MB Quart,Phoenix Gold,Pioneer), they can be in a enclosure as small as .4 cu ft, which is about as big as the box it comes in. I put 3 slim Phoenix Gold subs in a box that was 33X11X4 which was 1.2 cu ft overall. Small enough to fit under a bench.

Cool , but where on a single cab could you mount subs? even at .4 cu. ft. of an enclosure ?
I understand that you can enclose a speaker in a smaller box, it just may not be the optimum size enclosure to get the best from your speaker. All speakers come with data sheets (as I am sure you know) and they list the enclosure sizes they recommend and what it was tested at VAS.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Downloads/25a4-technical_sheet.pdf

Important to remember that the volume of the speaker chassis and magnet need to be subtracted from the volume of the enclosure.

Gordo.

TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

Gordo.

Cool , but where on a single cab could you mount subs? even at .4 cu. ft. of an enclosure ?
I understand that you can enclose a speaker in a smaller box, it just may not be the optimum size enclosure to get the best from your speaker. All speakers come with data sheets (as I am sure you know) and they list the enclosure sizes they recommend and what it was tested at VAS.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Downloads/25a4-technical_sheet.pdf

Important to remember that the volume of the speaker chassis and magnet need to be subtracted from the volume of the enclosure.

Gordo.
yes i am aware of speaker specs.In my previous life, i was a MECP master installer that worked for various car audio manufactures.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
TMI Products wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

Gordo.

Gordo.
yes i am aware of speaker specs.In my previous life, i was a MECP master installer that worked for various car audio manufactures.

That's great I could tell that you had experience in the field of car audio. My mentioning enclosures and sizes may not have been new information for you, but if you look through this thread there are people using speakers zap strapped to the dash tray (slight exaggeration), and subs mounted with no enclosures at all.
In my previous life I was a sound engineer specializing in live sound re-enforcement.

But, how and where would you fit a 10" sub with an enclosure in a VW single cab?

Gordo.

TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
TMI Products wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

Gordo.

Gordo.

That's great I could tell that you had experience in the field of car audio. My mentioning enclosures and sizes may not have been new information for you, but if you look through this thread there are people using speakers zap strapped to the dash tray (slight exaggeration), and subs mounted with no enclosures at all.
In my previous life I was a sound engineer specializing in live sound re-enforcement.

But, how and where would you fit a 10" sub with an enclosure in a VW single cab?

Gordo.
I have seen worse installs then that, downright scary but .....

Me personally, I would make things fit being that I was in the industry for about 15 years and car audio is a big passion still. I wouldn't use 10's myself, 8" subs are making a comeback. I would put some down firing 8"under the dash, where they aren't seen, and it looks like plenty of room behind the seat, but without actual measurements I cant really say.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIGHT they really were craftsman back in the day

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
RIGHT they really were craftsman back in the day

that's cool...like the Green Hornet car.

Gordo.

frenzydude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone mounted a subwoofer in the tool box under the front seat?
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most people don't like putting a radio in the dash or under it and most music is on a some type of phone or Bluetooth device. Have you guys seen the new Bluetooth amplifiers? When you get in your car or bus, the amp turns on, connects to the phone and sends the audio to the amp. This would cut down on wiring and having a obnoxious radio in a clean dash. there's only wiring to the amp and to the speakers. As far as I know the only company doing this right now is RE Audio but im sure by the end of the year more companies will integrate it into their amplifier line.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
I know most people don't like putting a radio in the dash or under it and most music is on a some type of phone or Bluetooth device. Have you guys seen the new Bluetooth amplifiers? When you get in your car or bus, the amp turns on, connects to the phone and sends the audio to the amp. This would cut down on wiring and having a obnoxious radio in a clean dash. there's only wiring to the amp and to the speakers. As far as I know the only company doing this right now is RE Audio but im sure by the end of the year more companies will integrate it into their amplifier line.

I haven't seen that, but that sounds cool!
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at a tent sale at our local Car Audio specialists and spoke with a rep for Clarion. He informed me that there are (coming soon) new wireless interfaces for amps. These will allow the use of a tablet or phone to be the head unit of a car and it will have an am / fm / sirius radio antena. All the aspects of a Mech-less deck controlled by your tablet.

Seems like a great option for the vintage crowd who want it all hidden and no dash cutting.

Gordo.

TimmyH79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with a stock or stock-like electrical system I am testing a simple 2 channel system using my iPhone as the source but going through RCA instead of Bluetooth because a lot of the available amps just pull too much current

Will be 3.5mm to RCA out of phone to level adjust from Memphis Audio so I can change volume without touching the phone (this is small and will be in dash tray)

Then RCA to RCA to alpine power pack attached to front of nose brace out of sight

Going to 2x focals in front kick panels (on 3/4" trim ring)

Two extra channels leave other options open for the rear but will update on sound once installed. Am going for very stealth look - will still have a sapphire v in dash for appearances but wanted to have some decent tunes

Previous:
'67 21-Window Dual-Slider
'79 Westfalia
cage66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should figure out a way to make the knob be controlled from the sapphire knob. Could be as simple as mounting the knob behind the dash with a small belt attaching the 2.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
I know most people don't like putting a radio in the dash This would cut down on wiring and having a obnoxious radio in a clean dash.

What is obnoxious about a radio in the dash? Is a block off plate better?
You could put a correct radio in the dash, but listen to the after market Bluetooth set up, and have your cake and eat it too. Cool

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: