Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stereo Systems installation in Splitties
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ritchiet002 wrote:
TMI Products wrote:
I know most people don't like putting a radio in the dash This would cut down on wiring and having a obnoxious radio in a clean dash.

What is obnoxious about a radio in the dash? Is a block off plate better?
You could put a correct radio in the dash, but listen to the after market Bluetooth set up, and have your cake and eat it too. Cool
For me im not a purist by any means, but most people don't like cutting their dash. I spent the last 14 in car audio so I like putting the newest headunits with the lastest features. In my type 3, I will only use a 9 band parametric EQ and Ipod as a source unit going to a 5 channel micro amp and subs fiber glassed under the rear seat and use the heater outlets as ports, and components in the kick panels, try to hide all of it.
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never took "clean dash" to mean "un-cut"! That's a different thing all together! I have a Retro Sound radio for my single cab. I have to connect my iPod to it physically. I wish it had Bluetooth capabilities.

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to throw my two cents in. Pics from my 12 speaker stereo install are below. My goal was to keep it within a reasonable budget, not cut any holes, not sacrifice much storage, and to keep the speakers unobtrusive. Not pictured are the head unit in the parcel trail of the dash and the amp hidden behind the passenger seat. The system sounds **fantastic** as is but when I put everything out to paint the bus I will be replacing the crap 8" woofer in the spare tire and maybe putting a larger sub in the head banger cabinet.

Polk components in the front door. Tweeter angle up a but though you can't tell in this pic.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A nice size pair of Polk two-ways under the custom full width Westy bed.

Another set of Polk components in the front of the custom head banger cabinet and you can see the big roof mounted sub.

Can't remember if this is a 10" or 12" sub.

Someday this will have a spare tire cover and something better on the back side than the truck stop blanket but even in it's current space it is a good utilization of space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted a clean install. No head unit, all running off Bluetooth. Initially I attempted to run the system through a Bluetooth amp. Ended up getting a EQ with a Bluetooth receiver as Pandora, etc don't have EQ adjustments. Added an 8inch bazooka tube to round out the bass.

Parts list
Earthquake EQ-4000BT
Kenwood KFC-1695PS - speakers
Kenwood KAC-M1824BT -- Amp -- Don't use this one. I had to get the EQ to add treble/bass control. So paid extra for BT not being used.
Bazooka BTA850FH -- Fits in bench seat spare tire well.
+ wires etc.

73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamesjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Thanks Mark, that is something to think about. I think at the most, headlights tail lights will be the regular, turns are used so infrequently, horn etc. I should be good. I dont plan on running 2 batteries and i dont really plan on running the stereo long if at all when its not running. My amp specs kinda scare me, says 90 max and has 3 30amp fuses. I think I gotta purchase the 95 amp alternator I see. Can anyone comment on the reliability of that 95 amp one?

I can say though, the Obcon 2x12 box for a Denali fits perfect under a double cab rear seat. I was a little nervous. I don't have the bottom brace attached (I don't know how it bolts on yet) but the box can be flipped around where the angle allows the support. I loose tool storage, which sucks. There is another box they make that is the same except 39 or so inches long, which will get me more tool room. I bought this because I figured if it wouldn't work, it would be an easy sell being for a Denali/Yukon/suburban

Thanks for the tip on this. I actually ordered the shorter version for two 10s in my Double Cab...

it's actually decent quality for the price.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from a stock-ish radio install I did recently in a customer's 67 bus. The customer wanted a basic AM/FM radio in the dash.

AM/FM cassette head unit that I purchased at a VW swap meet. The face plate could be fancier, maybe later.

Under dash view.

Special bracket I formed to mount the radio.

Safari antenna mounting.

Single speaker, for now, using original speaker bracket supplied by j.dot pickenz.

I used needlecraft backing for the speaker 'grill'. Blue was the darkest color they had at my local JoAnn fabric. In real life you can hardly see that it is blue.

You can hear what it sounds like here, in a video I posted on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/201308013242269/videos/vb...mp;theater

The above video is public, you should not have to log in to fb to view it.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamesjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Here's the system I'm in the middle of installing in my Double Cab...

Eclipse CD8445...

Two Sundown Audio 10" SD1v2s in a downfiring enclosure and the JBL MS-A amps running the system...
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Quote:
But, how and where would you fit a 10" sub with an enclosure in a VW single cab?

You don't need to be a sound engineer to know that you don't need a 10" sub in a single cab. A couple of 6" x 9" ovals and you'll have all the sound you will ever need. Keep it simple.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

66uno wrote:
Quote:
But, how and where would you fit a 10" sub with an enclosure in a VW single cab?

You don't need to be a sound engineer to know that you don't need a 10" sub in a single cab. A couple of 6" x 9" ovals and you'll have all the sound you will ever need. Keep it simple.

I completely agree with you. No one needs a sub in a vehicle. And no one needs a flat response of a sound system up to a certain SPL. But those of us that want it, will want a sub in their bus. The people are happy with just being able to hear what song is playing through a mono dash mounted speaker, and that's okay too. Each to his own.

I'm not the guy to keep things simple, I want my bus to sound equally as good as the system in my 2010 ford flex, if not better. I want to be able to reproduce those extreme lows as "the drop" occurs.

So here is what I've done.

I had a set of 10" subs in a sealed box under the back seat of my 11 window. I was not happy with the amount of power it was going to take to run them,so they had to go. I picked up a Focal 8" sub and built this 6th order bandpass box. I should also say that I really was not happy with the look of a black painted box sitting under the rear seat either.
This box consisted of two chambers, one tuned to 30Hz, the other is tuned to 45Hz, and it is made of birch plywood that has been epoxy coated and polished to compliment other pieces on my bus.

I realize that this is not for everyone, but people that want nice bottom end without using too much power, it is another option.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
jamesjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
66uno wrote:
Quote:

I completely agree with you. No one needs a sub in a vehicle. And no one needs a flat response of a sound system up to a certain SPL. But those of us that want it, will want a sub in their bus. The people are happy with just being able to hear what song is playing through a mono dash mounted speaker, and that's okay too. Each to his own.

I'm not the guy to keep things simple, I want my bus to sound equally as good as the system in my 2010 ford flex, if not better. I want to be able to reproduce those extreme lows as "the drop" occurs.

I had a set of 10" subs in a sealed box under the back seat of my 11 window. I was not happy with the amount of power it was going to take to run them,so they had to go. I picked up a Focal 8" sub and built this 6th order bandpass box. I should also say that I really was not happy with the look of a black painted box sitting under the rear seat either.
This box consisted of two chambers, one tuned to 30Hz, the other is tuned to 45Hz, and it is made of birch plywood that has been epoxy coated and polished to compliment other pieces on my bus.

I realize that this is not for everyone, but people that want nice bottom end without using too much power, it is another option.

Gordo.

Agreed. Awesome job on the enclosure.

I was blown away by how good my setup sounds in my double cab. I'm running all class D amps to try and deal with the power consumption issue. We'll see how it goes with the three amps on the 55 amp alternator.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
66uno wrote:
Quote:

Gordo.
Another awesome build from you ! The speakers look like they're patterned like a wave radio speaker. Too cool.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:

Another awesome build from you ! The speakers look like they're patterned like a wave radio speaker. Too cool.

Thanks. The Bose sound wave is a sixth order bandpass and Bose actually owns the patent on sixth order and much of the math used to derive the proper ports size and length. Which could be why the final testing of these boxes leads to adjustments.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Lousy pictures, but this is my variation on a theme. Blaupunkt Dortmund 230 DAB radio fitted in my single cab. I set myself a 'no drilling' rule so built a bracket to suspend a radio pod from the shelf. It's hooked up to a retrodabs dual-voice speaker in the stock position. Sound is pretty good and the DAB reception is very good. The aerial is a stick-on screen-mount DAB aerial and I'm getting good reception even inside my garage...

This is the bracket I made up...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Stereo, Bluetooth, DVD and TV setup so my girls can play tunes or watch TV or DVDs while camping. Ralph at rjcampers built the cabinet -- beautiful work. The TV is on a lift that I made with a linear actuator and operated by either a remote control switch or manual switch mounted on the side of the cabinet.

For the "B speakers" I stole the Drive-in movie speaker idea from earlier in this thread so I can have sound outside under the awning, too.

Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

I decided to use the space under the camper bulkhead seat as an enclosure for a vintage Altec duplex speaker from the 50s.

Cross-over:

In place under seat:

[/img]
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

Andy, this bracket is beautiful and is just the type of thing that I have considered, but I lack the tools/materials. I'd enjoy hearing a little about how you designed it and fabricated it.

My original radio works fantastic, I love it, and use it all the time...
...however, for MUCH longer trips, I think it would be great if I can fix something up (without drilling, or removing the original stereo) which would be in stereo, and utilize blue-tooth to our smart phones for music and podcasts.
Perhaps a simple boat/motorcycle set up (like the one pictured below, but without skulls for speaker grills), utilizing a brackets under the dash along the lines of what Andy has made.

Has anyone done something along these lines?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

Andy, this bracket is beautiful and is just the type of thing that I have considered, but I lack the tools/materials. I'd enjoy hearing a little about how you designed it and fabricated it.

Thanks DadaCheese. The bracket was pretty simple to make. Two 1m lengths of 20x2mm steel strip and M4 set screws from a hardware chain, a couple of pop-rivets and some black spray paint.

The longitudinal (hooked) strips are 32cm long. They look like this in profile...

The bit that screws to the holes in the front panel with (to the left in that picture) is 2cm high. I used M4 set screws to attach to the front panel, but sheet metal screws would do for that. Distance from that bend to the slight upward bend is 7.5cm. The hook bends I worked out by holding the strips in place on the truck and marking with a Sharpie. All were made by bending the strips in a vice.

The transverse strips were cut to fit the width of the radio pod (bought from ebay). I drilled and fitted them to the pod with more M4 set screws, then loosely screwed the longitudinal strips in place on the truck and offered up the pod and transverse strips. I marked where they crossed with a sharpie. The pod sits offset to the left to clear the hand brake. Took it all apart and drilled and pop-riveted the strips together. Then I refitted the pod, put the stereo in place and made up a rear stay to fit (simple right angle with a large hole to take the rubber buffer on the back of the stereo). Rivetted that in place and gave it a couple of coats of paint.

Took a few hours of going back and forth, checking measurements, but it wasn't difficult to make.

This was it before paint, if it helps...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

My original radio works fantastic, I love it, and use it all the time...
...however, for MUCH longer trips, I think it would be great if I can fix something up (without drilling, or removing the original stereo) which would be in stereo, and utilize blue-tooth to our smart phones for music and podcasts.
Perhaps a simple boat/motorcycle set up (like the one pictured below, but without skulls for speaker grills), utilizing a brackets under the dash along the lines of what Andy has made.

Has anyone done something along these lines?

While my Becker is out for service I am using this with this Bluetooth receiver. that has a 1/8" output jack.

Works pretty well in the noisy cabin on my Single.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
While my Becker is out for service I am using this with this Bluetooth receiver. that has a 1/8" output jack.

Works pretty well in the noisy cabin on my Single.

Do you have just a regular 12 volt lead off of the fuse-box for that, and/or how are you powering it? Looks like a great size. Looks like it'd be easy enough to just place it on the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slammed shady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Systems installation in Splitties Reply with quote

I have an ETON ECC600 installed under the back bench, combined with a hidden woofer in the side cabinet. Two speakers in the rear and one behind the dash get fired by a retro-sound radio and my Ipod in the ashtray. You can't see nothing, but you can hear a lot... Cool Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: