Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endoboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Just a little... Reply with quote

I got my battery back in, trying to figure out some final wiring woes. The lights are all working except for the warning and gauge lights. And the starter solenoid clicks but doesn't turn over. That's about the only thing keeping this baby from running.

You can see it here:
http://www.markwoodhead.com/html/building_it.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manxdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: nothin doing Reply with quote

lifted the cover off of the body sighed and went to file my taxes for some building bucks hopefully on the road by summer...of what year not too sure
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellermanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WuZaBuG wrote:
Filled the pits in my pacer wheels after sandblasting. Getting ready to try powdercoating myself. [/img]

Hey WuZaBug, I'm just trying to figure why you would want to put wheels like this on your buggy. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Manxdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no that's fill a pit with that pacer.. a little different but much better idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WuZaBuG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellermanx wrote:
WuZaBuG wrote:
Filled the pits in my pacer wheels after sandblasting. Getting ready to try powdercoating myself. [/img]

Hey WuZaBug, I'm just trying to figure why you would want to put wheels like this on your buggy. Laughing

LOL. slotted "Pacer" wheels are a 60's style wheel.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attached coat hangers, old drain snakes and bicycle cables to my drill in an effort to break up the carbon deposits inside the heat risers on my 65. The campaign will continue for the rest of the week.
flaboyjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today - got gas indigestion (see fuel filler post)

finished cleaning the aluminum parts for reassembly. Got a call from the Powder Coater - will be ready in AM Thursday.

Expecting UPS tomorrow with side pods - will mount, trim and then take to painter, if he will answer the phone when he sees its me calling...

Mid 60s Manx Clone - almost finished
1968 Manx M2178G826S - in process
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Endoboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Expecting UPS tomorrow with side pods - will mount, trim and then take to painter, if he will answer the phone when he sees its me calling...

LOL, I've got a VW repair expert guy who does that to me. He loves to give me verbal abuse when I do go over there. One time, I dropped by without calling first...he saw me coming (he was eating something) and he went inside and wouldn't come back out Wink

People like that like to be helpful, but then regret the offer when they look at all the things they're not getting done each day.

Mark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my kad throttle body and svda from air cooled - looked everything over - nice stuff. Promised her that I would wait till we got back from Vegas next Friday (She is taking the kids to Savannah for a week right after we get back) But have some free time tomorrow before the flight...........well may slip the distributor in....shouldnt take too long.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flaboyjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hopes of finishing the beast in time for the Florida get together are not real high right now....

Took me over 4 hours to trim and fit ONE SIDEPOD today - rest of the time was spent going into town to get the engine tin that was promised on Wednesday (past). It was not run yet- but they did offer to put a free coat of clear on top of the yeeelller for me - nice, but no cigar.

I might have it running, but the body will not be ready to go... SOOOOO I am looking for a ride.... I will be there in a John Deere 4 X 4 Gator, but that is not what I really had in mind... Sometime you get the bear, sometime it gets you.. (substitute the word buggy for bear)

Do the words "just damn" have a meaning at a time like this?

Mid 60s Manx Clone - almost finished
1968 Manx M2178G826S - in process
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brought some color samples to the paint shop where the buggy is. was surprised when i went in and it was completly sanded already-only been a few days. i got to see the gelcoat (?) that was under the paint. it was a copper flake close to what i am going with now. was cool to see. all the wiring was pulled out that i didn't want to mess with- all lying in the pan. too bad i didn't have my camera with me. but i will next week when i go back to go over all the changes to the body after the sanding is complete.
its coming along!
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I am with out my buggy still. seams that the more you want the shop to complete the rebuild the slower they work. i was told almost done a week ago. Ugggg!! 6 hours of labor takes 2 months!! the shop may do good work but is going to loose my business for sure.

A better place to talk offroad
Yellermanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaboyjim wrote:
My hopes of finishing the beast in time for the Florida get together are not real high right now....

Took me over 4 hours to trim and fit ONE SIDEPOD today - rest of the time was spent going into town to get the engine tin that was promised on Wednesday (past). It was not run yet- but they did offer to put a free coat of clear on top of the yeeelller for me - nice, but no cigar.

I might have it running, but the body will not be ready to go... SOOOOO I am looking for a ride.... I will be there in a John Deere 4 X 4 Gator, but that is not what I really had in mind... Sometime you get the bear, sometime it gets you.. (substitute the word buggy for bear)

Do the words "just damn" have a meaning at a time like this?

Hey Jim, Don't worry I'm sure someone will have an extra seat. Refer to this post http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157987 You are running into the same problems I have been having and I don't have nearly as much to do as you. you'll have fun anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promised her I would wait on the new dist and carb throttle body till we get back from Vegas

She pops in the garage - "Whacha doin?"
Oh just pissing around with the plug wires, rerouting them so they don't get scuffed by the carb linkage. (which was true at that point)
"hmmm - well the new distributor looks pretty good...."

That's what happens when you get a mechanics daughter LOL

Oh - by the way - killer tip from a great buddy of mine - Do it yourself wire looms (NASCAR style). Run a cable tie around 2 or more wires (very loose at this point) Then run a tie perpendicular between the pairs of wires and around the first tie. Snug them up. The one between is the spacer and the first one ties it together. Looks good and they are custom made for the number of wires you are doing.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alexh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually today....
Cut away the front lamp mounts, center ridge and wiper mounts from the hood. Re fibered them from underneath with a "mold" on top to hold the fiber mat while it cured, basically eliminating these and faired on top smooth.

Did some more welding of the seat brakets to chassis frame and covered the front fuel line holes in the tunel and the rear e-brake tubes exits at the horns, these will be routed differently.

Opened the body's bolt holes to chassis to 3/8" will be using 5/16" bolts and allow for flexing so the fiber doenst crack when I tighten.

Next week will check weld the chassis frame, route the e-brake tubes, start on the hood to front beam hinge system and cut the hood U for the upside down "air scoop"...........
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like the weekends will be a good time for me to work on the buggy, sooooo i am resorting to waking up at 4:00 am every morning this week to "git r' done". I am so close I have too. The weather is getting too nice and I will be damned if I am going to miss the nice weather. All I have left to do is paint the headlights and tailights and wire the car. My harness is 98% complete so now all I have to do is lay it in the car and terminate the ends at the switches and lights. Wish me luck. Just remember when you hit the snooze this week at 6:00 am I have already been up two hours trying to bring finality to this four year project. At breakfast raise a glass of milk to me and say"here is to you MURZ, gettin it done" HEHEHE your wives will think you are crazy.
I will post progress this week and I am going to insure and register it by Wednesday as well. Maybe Saturday I will be ripping up the streets!!!!
later
Michael
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut rusted floorpans out, welded new ones in.

Undercoated the bottom of the pan, flipped it over, bolted in tranny and now i have a semi-roller pan Twisted Evil

CTD Fabrication
Fireguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the same thing I have done the last 2 months. Looked at it while waiting for my sister-in-laws house to be finished (hopefully sometime next week), so I can get all her crap out of garage and have room to work again. My buggy is surrounded by boxes and a couch, I can barely even see it. Never let anyone store their crap in your garage. They always say it won't be very much and it won't be for very long. I am going on 2 months right now. Mad
MickeyUSA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as SUX2BU but the boxes are mine around the buggy. Just moved and things don't fit like they use to, but I should have everything in placed by the weekend.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the fuse box done and some misc wiring........

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 199

Jump to: