Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Dropped the engine out to address oil leaks, clean the straw and fuzz out of the cooling system, clean up the Empi/Solex carbs, change the generator, fix the front transaxle mount and various other sundry things that come up.

Distributor, oil filter and exhaust changes in the works too.
BaronVonYinzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Pulled the wheels off, removed the engine cage, removed old beat up turn signal bases, and mirror bases, worked on removing primer and traces of the last awful paintjob she had.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Did a compression test on the engine - pretty tired!

Has anyone here used a type 4 engine in their buggy? I am interested what you used and how it turned out.

Pictures too please!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Looks like I am a pioneer here!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I received my heavy duty tie rods today from Jim's custom VW to obviously replace the 40 year newly realized bent tie rod. Had to clean out all the machining filings for tommarows test fit. Then there off to sand blasting experts for a coat of that wonderful epoxy coating BAR-rust 235 & aliphatic urethane. Then the money saving begins for the new classic Manx. 1800 dollars just for shipping.
porkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Looks like I am a pioneer here!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here ya go. This is headed to my clone
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Excellent!

What will you be using for an exhaust system? There doesn't seem to be much for selection and the pricing is pretty high compared to type 1 exhausts.
porkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Excellent!

What will you be using for an exhaust system? There doesn't seem to be much for selection and the pricing is pretty high compared to type 1 exhausts.

Yea expensive compared to type 1. I'll likely pull the triger on Tigers A1 sidewinder.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Thanks for responding!
Second question, what are you doing for a thermostat to regulate the engine temperature and ensure quick warm ups? I can't find anything on this subject for the vertical fan conversions like you have.
porkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Thanks for responding!
Second question, what are you doing for a thermostat to regulate the engine temperature and ensure quick warm ups? I can't find anything on this subject for the vertical fan conversions like you have.

There is no thermostat on this DTM, it's going on the back of my fiberglass buggy. It will never be driven unless it's warm or hot weather.
If it were going into my daily driver I may be concerned, but not in this case.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

porkey wrote:
oprn wrote:
Thanks for responding!

There is no thermostat on this DTM, it's going on the back of my fiberglass buggy. It will never be driven unless it's warm or hot weather.

Basically the same car and usage here. I found that with the lack of temp control on the type 1 engine this buggy came with it took too long to warm up and run properly but would run fine on the highway under load. When you got back in the city traffic it ran sweet till it cooled down again and would stumble and fart a lot. The only way to make it run smooth in town was to richen up the idle mixture a lot, then it tended to fowl plugs.
I would like to convert to the upright configuration but I will stay with the original fan on the crank to keep the temp control in place.
Too bad as it is going to look a bit messy!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
porkey wrote:
oprn wrote:
Thanks for responding!

Basically the same car and usage here. I found that with the lack of temp control on the type 1 engine this buggy came with it took too long to warm up and run properly but would run fine on the highway under load. When you got back in the city traffic it ran sweet till it cooled down again and would stumble and fart a lot. The only way to make it run smooth in town was to richen up the idle mixture a lot, then it tended to fowl plugs.
I would like to convert to the upright configuration but I will stay with the original fan on the crank to keep the temp control in place.
Too bad as it is going to look a bit messy!

I have run my 2165 engine in my '59 single cab with full operating thermostat and flaps, and then moved the same engine into my buggy, but removed the thermostat and flaps. I cannot tell any difference in operation of the engine. I do have gauges on oil temp and head temp. Since I run 6 quarts of oil, in 40* F weather, it does take about twice as long for the oil to come up to temp without the flaps, (did not monitor oil temp and head temp in the bus) than in warmer weather, but engine runs fine even cool.

The only problems I have had with engines running colder is when using a single center mounted carb and no proper manifold heat. Every header I have seen does not have proper manifold heat. They have the two takes off, but they both come right off the head port, so, high pressure to high pressure will not allow for a circulation, just bounce back and forth not heating the manifold. On my stock '73 Thing, there was a persistent carb issue when running slower speeds, and the improper header pre-heat. I altered the D-Side to flow into the muffler which is a low pressure side and allows for full circulation of the manifold heat, and the problem was solved.

I will be running a single carb on my Sand Flea, and it's stainless exhaust will get altered to provide proper high-to-low exhaust pressure/flow through the manifold pre-heat.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of exhaust gasket sets include one pre-heat gasket with a normal sized hole and one with a small hole. I always wondered if this was to somehow help to force some kind of cross-flow through the pre-heat tube. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I've noticed a lot of exhaust gasket sets include one pre-heat gasket with a normal sized hole and one with a small hole. I always wondered if this was to somehow help to force some kind of cross-flow through the pre-heat tube. Confused

I was thinking the same thing but Joe's solution is a much better one.

This last engine is dual carb so the heat riser thing doesn't really apply. My issues with drivability is in traffic were the engine cools down too much and it stumbles and fools around on acceleration. I used to think this was the carbs loading up as a good quick blast would clear it up but now I realize it is the opposite, the engine has cooled off and now needs the choke on to run right. A quick boot in the butt just brings the engine temp back up.

Joe, you are not going to notice the increased cylinder wear right away but it will happen! I have a sand rail that I put together 8 years ago and at the time had 120 psi compression on all 4 cylinders. We really haven't used it that much, just short blasts around the fields here with a couple of trips to the hills a year. It's now burning oil enough to leave a smoke trail and the compression is way down.

The cylinders/pistons are designed to run fairly warm and when they are run cold the clearances are all wrong causing premature wear. This will be exaggerated too now that the engine is in a much lighter car and won't have enough load to ever warm up like it did in the truck.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
SBD wrote:

I was thinking the same thing but Joe's solution is a much better one.

This last engine is dual carb so the heat riser thing doesn't really apply. My issues with drivability is in traffic were the engine cools down too much and it stumbles and fools around on acceleration. I used to think this was the carbs loading up as a good quick blast would clear it up but now I realize it is the opposite, the engine has cooled off and now needs the choke on to run right. A quick boot in the butt just brings the engine temp back up.

Joe, you are not going to notice the increased cylinder wear right away but it will happen! I have a sand rail that I put together 8 years ago and at the time had 120 psi compression on all 4 cylinders. We really haven't used it that much, just short blasts around the fields here with a couple of trips to the hills a year. It's now burning oil enough to leave a smoke trail and the compression is way down.

The cylinders/pistons are designed to run fairly warm and when they are run cold the clearances are all wrong causing premature wear. This will be exaggerated too now that the engine is in a much lighter car and won't have enough load to ever warm up like it did in the truck.

I am currently closing in on 43,000 miles on the engine since it has been in the buggy and no smoke yet. On a recent trip to Alaska, we changed the oil in our buggies in Juneau and I had 4000 miles on the oil in mine, it was only down about 1/4 quart. But, when I drive it, it is not around town short hops, it is for at least a full hour and the engine hits regular running temp in less than 10 minutes even at 40* F.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Picked up my new Manx Chassis from Dave Barrett. This thing is built like a tank!

This is a Christmas present from my wife (she must really like me) Wink

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

she sure wasn't going to float

let the fun begin Laughing
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Started work on new chassis.

Installed fuel lines / larger line is for supply and smaller is return.I'll only use the the supply line for now. The smaller line is for fuel return I'll need when I set up fuel injection in the future. Much easier to do now than later when a car is wrapped around everything.

The first holes drilled are always the toughest.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

SoCal67Volks wrote:
Started work on new chassis.

Installed fuel lines / larger line is for supply and smaller is return.I'll only use the the supply line for now. The smaller line is for fuel return I'll need when I set up fuel injection in the future. Much easier to do now than later when a car is wrapped around everything.

The first holes drilled are always the toughest.

It is work like this that embarrasses the rest of us, and motivates every man.
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Current buggy work in progress; bringing the seats back to life. The color is a much darker burgundy than my camera will capture. They were a faded red/pink/orange. These are Tempo/Topaz seats, US edition. Using black for a little accent.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 188 of 199

Jump to: