Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Aw man! After all that work I was hoping it would be shiny.
Anyway, good job and enjoy!

hehe Twisted Evil , too many shiny ones rolling around Twisted Evil
I thought about gloss black whit flakes, but this was something I had on my mind for several years, so I needed to do this, or I would spend the rest of my life thinking about it
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

A non slip finish could have it's uses!

There is another one somewhere on this site that is finished in a non slip olive green. I didn't like the looks of that one either until it was all back together. Now it kind of looks... ok. Quite ok in fact, in an army sort of way.
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
A non slip finish could have it's uses!

There is another one somewhere on this site that is finished in a non slip olive green. I didn't like the looks of that one either until it was all back together. Now it kind of looks... ok. Quite ok in fact, in an army sort of way.

in the end one must do what one likes, or at a very least, give it a go an see if he likes it.
I did it for me, but I don't know if when all is said and done I love it Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

[quote="motoRAT"]
oprn wrote:
in the end one must do what one likes, or at a very least, give it a go an see if he likes it.

Well said! That is the beauty of this hobby - doing what makes us happy.

This "shiny" hang up I have is mine personally, born of many years in the body shop getting cars straight enough to hang a coat of paint on so I can really appreciate the time you put into that body!

When I see a Rat Rod or vintage Camaro/Mustang/Charger driving down the street in flat black I think "Nice car, too bad he can't afford to paint it!". Then we have a couple of local fellows that took brand new 4X4s and had the whole truck exterior sprayed with box liner. I'm thinking,"Hard to clean and what the heck is he going to do at resale time to clean that off?"

Maybe it's jealousy on my part knowing the hard work it takes to make a show quality finish when one could just drag a bit of vintage tin out of the bush, dolly out the worst lumps and creases a bit and spray it with primer. Done!

You have spend countless hours on that body, good job and enjoy your choice of finish!
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

[quote="oprn"]
motoRAT wrote:
oprn wrote:

Well said! That is the beauty of this hobby - doing what makes us happy.

This "shiny" hang up I have is mine personally, born of many years in the body shop getting cars straight enough to hang a coat of paint on so I can really appreciate the time you put into that body!

When I see a Rat Rod or vintage Camaro/Mustang/Charger driving down the street in flat black I think "Nice car, too bad he can't afford to paint it!". Then we have a couple of local fellows that took brand new 4X4s and had the whole truck exterior sprayed with box liner. I'm thinking,"Hard to clean and what the heck is he going to do at resale time to clean that off?"

Maybe it's jealousy on my part knowing the hard work it takes to make a show quality finish when one could just drag a bit of vintage tin out of the bush, dolly out the worst lumps and creases a bit and spray it with primer. Done!

You have spend countless hours on that body, good job and enjoy your choice of finish!

thanks
I still have some work to do before I roll the buggy again Confused
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

white tins Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I will tell you what I did yesterday, I let a buddy of ours go for a spin in it. He came back with a HUGE poop-eating grin!! Very Happy Very Happy

Someone else on this site termed these cars as "smile generators". They truly are and everywhere we go we get the same reaction from young and old. I guess I am showing my age but I am amazed at how few people recognize them and remember the original beach buggy craze. Nevertheless the appeal is still universal!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I will tell you what I did yesterday, I let a buddy of ours go for a spin in it. He came back with a HUGE poop-eating grin!! Very Happy Very Happy

Someone else on this site termed these cars as "smile generators". They truly are and everywhere we go we get the same reaction from young and old. I guess I am showing my age but I am amazed at how few people recognize them and remember the original beach buggy craze. Nevertheless the appeal is still universal!

Last year when I traveled across the US, then across Canada on my way to Alaska, a lot of people in Canada had never seen a buggy, young and old. On the Ferry, people asked if we owned those "toy cars" in the bottom.

Another question was, "is it legal?" Out responses were, we hope so, we have driven them 4000 miles to get here. Only one fellow in Alaska knew what a buggy was, because he had a mid-70's Beetle he was restoring.

No one in the Yukon or Northwest Ter. knew what they were. But wow did we ever gather attention.

Only three places were they recognized.
On the way North into Saskatoon, John's charging system failed and at a small no where fuel stop, a younger lady asked it they were a Manx. She said she knows a guy that has a speed record with one. Well, we all had our jaws drop. She lead us to slalombuggy in Saskatoon, who found the problem and fixed it.
Then also again in Fort Nelson where we found two buggy owners hanging out on the side of the road while we were searching for a car wash.
And we pre-set up running with Glasserin Calgary, and he ran with us about 150 miles East.

When I broke a valve spring in the Yukon, no one even knew what a VW AC Engine was, much less had a spring for one. Everyone said, "let me know what you need, and I can get it in a week and a half". We found a used spring off of a Ford 300 six cylinder head that fit and got us home.

If you can not handle attention, do not get a buggy.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I think you will find that most people these days don't recognize these cars because the fad had died out before they were born! It's just us old codgers that remember them. (You can't fool me, I see the color of your hair! Very Happy ) I grew up in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and I remember a stack of new fiberglass buggy bodies just outside the service entrance at our VW dealer. Back then they were everywhere up here too! It was rare to go more than a few blocks in residential areas without seeing one or two.

Driving ours around Alberta and BC this summer it was pretty common for the 60+ people to come up to us and say "I remember owning/driving/had a friend who had... ". My wife's two older brothers in fact bought one together when they were in high school and terrorized the neighbourhood until the Cops took their Dad aside and suggested they sell it!

You are right though as few people under that age have a clue. It's "Look, isn't that a cute car?" or " Mom, what is that?" "It's one of those new Side-by-Sides son."

You got it right too about the attention. About every third car that we met or passed us had a kid, adult or cell phone camera pressed up to the window. I told the Missus I was starting to understand how celebrities feel. You didn't dare so much as pick your nose or it would be all over social media in a heart beat!

I know that is not the intent of this thread but it would be fun to see how many could answer to the question "What did you do no your Buggy yesterday?"

I DROVE IT!!! Very Happy Very Happy
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

it's getting there... Very Happy

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

In my never ending quest for more power I finally found an intercooler that would fit without having to put a lot of money into new end tanks or cut the body.
While not ideal it should help keep my intake temps down a bit along with my Water/Alcohol Injection.
A little cutting and fitting with my homemade tubing notcher allowed me to fit everything up.

All built, welded and installed for test fitting.

BOV and Water Injection line visible.

I need to prime and paint the new intake and wait for a turbo clocking bracket before drive testing it.
I also need to update my Stage I clutch to a Stage II due to it slipping with all the torque...... Crying or Very sad Wink

Even if it is only 40% efficient it will lower my air temps 30-40 degrees which will give me up to 30 more hp if I stay at the 24 lbs boost I am running.
I can otherwise lower the boost and keep the same hp I am running now......

I might have to add a fan to it but I will test it as is first. Since I can log a run with my computer I will be able to see the results in one drive.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I squeezed past it to get my leaf bagger stuff off the back wall. I got it stashed in my storage barn while I finish work on my 1973 Beetle driver project. I really need to get this done. Going on 6 years now... Embarassed

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I finished up the hinge/ strut lift mechanism on the hardtop. Now I can move back onto the body work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

My daughter helped out as well since this is technically "her buggy"!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

After 40+ years of being sort of okay with the concept that my buggy "marks her spot" and with the aide of so many knowledgeable people posting on this site, I'm finally determin'd to try and do what I can to fix or reduce the leaks. So, the other day, I started with 3 gaping holes on the front right side of my 1965 type 1 transaxle:

Screped down gobs of goowey grunge and used Gum-Out to clean the area. Then, plug'd the holes using slightly taper'd 9~10mm dowels coated with non-hardening form-a-gasket:

Next up: Leaky pushrod tubes (yet again!)
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Replaced rockerpanel aluminum trim which had pre-drill'd screw holes. The screw heads all rusted years ago.

New replacement came with no holes, so I could drill them myself, underneath, where they don't show.

First panel went on back in the late 1970s and its "L" shaped cross section gave me a lip to help with glassing in a floor for side pod compartments. Second panel (which actually went in today) is part of a continuation toward a two-tone gray primer job.

SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I removed the gas tank from my recent Manx SR2 acquisition.

What I found below is what happens when those pesky little Tin Worms stop holding hands.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Gee, almost looks like that chassis came from our part of the world where road salt colors the highways in winter!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Impatiently waiting for this -26 weather to go away so I can put the fresh engine in. Tidying up the odds and ends details, gas lines, thermostat install, temp and pressure senders, pushrod tube retainers all the little things that get left to last minute.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Impatiently waiting for this -26 weather to go away

I hear you looked at the forecast today snow for the next 4 days still. come on mother nature april fools was yesterday no more winter please
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 192 of 199

Jump to: