Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low down Hillbilly
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Here's my Hillbilly, they were made during the 60s and 70s I believe in Coquitlam BC, Canada. Not many people have seen this design as it was produced locally and may not have been widely distributed. When I saw this body I knew I had to build something cool with it. I originally started this project 16 years ago and then mortgages, marriage and other projects got in the way. Just started up again a week ago...

You can see how far tucked under the stock rims have the rear wheels. New tires will be 225/60/r15, and the rims are 7" wide with 2" less back spacing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As it's not going to have a big bore motor I decide to make a plate from 3/16" mild steel and just weld the stock mount 3" higher.

Pretty crusty looking 1600dp. I've been hanging onto this motor for 16 years only to find the distributor drive shaft does not turn with the motor. Going to open this thing up this winter, will try not to get carried away...

Tubing across between the shocks was to check the clearance after trans raise.

Last edited by OCD Garage on Sat May 30, 2020 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Interesting body that I've never seen before. I like the built in headlights. It looks to have low sides for easy entry and more engine covering that most. I think it's begging for a top chop to go with the slammed styling. Cool
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Beginning of the front mount not included in the original post. It needs some side bracing or it will may eventually twist the factory mount off the torsion housing.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Here's the front side view. I'll tie it in to the sides, bolt and weld it to the factory mount.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Today I bought a pair of 225/60/15 TA Radials for the rear and wrestled the body on by myself. Luckily everything appears to fit together. The tire height seems good so I won't need to alter the suspension further due to the increased tire height. Looks like a 3/4" spacer around the base of the body and it should all lay flat on the ground without the tires contacting the body when aired out. I'll be building my own bomber seats and running the salt flat discs on the rear too.

Tuck it in, tuck it in. In the lower left you can just see the frame rail/ground contact and a 5/8" MDF spacer to lift the body.

The area above the carb will need to be reshaped and a cover made with an opening for the air filter. Things are pretty tight with the 3" trans raise, the body needs to be notched even to clear the exhaust.

Body will need a notch a couple inches deep in the rear bulkhead.

Seems like every cool thing you do creates 5 more problems to solve Rolling Eyes
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I agree with evfun, need to fit a lower/simpler roof or cut out a healthy chunk out of the original

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Like this?
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Topless

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Got Air? Cool
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Cool buggy! I agree, that thing needs a couple (2? 3?) inches removed from the windshield and the roof line about 6" lower. Are you in the Lower Mainland? I'm in Burnaby. Al
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

OCD Garage wrote:
Got Air? Cool

I like the hard top, and since you are just north of me I think it would be a good idea too (still looking for my Berry C-cab top.) Running around windshieldless on the nicest days would be cool too. It just looks, to me, like the top needs to make a contribution to the low stance you have chosen. The same low stance that the body really seems to work with. Perhaps a 4 inch top chop with the center and/or the back angle reworked to fit, after chopping the windshield pulls the top of the A pillars forward. A lot easier to do in fiberglass than in steel!
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

ALB: I'm located on Vancouver Island.

EVFUN: I understand these were produced on the Vancouver's lower mainland, Coquitlam is what I read on another forum. As rare as these are I don't see cutting the top up too much but I do plan to cut the windshield off and make a folding metal framed one. It's surprising how big a forward bind spot the fiberglass windshield frame creates.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I also don't remember this buggy, despite reading "Dune Buggies and Hot VWs" since the late 1960's and all thru the '70's from my dad's subscription.

Body side edge lower rib and rounded rear fender shape reminds me of the German buggy "Floh" (flea) developed by the VW-specific "Gute Fahrt" magazine.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

As this body was produced in someones back yard in a suburb of Vancouver BC, I doubt if many made it outside of our province. I have no idea how many were produced and strangely enough my neighbour just bought the one seen above which was shown in 1977 with the top on. I notice it has a different windshield in the recent pic.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Started on the body lift spacer this week, plan is to continue it around the perimeter. I didn't want to cut into the fenders to clear the tires and so decided to space the body up 1" which may help with access to the motor after the 3" trans/motor lift. The spacer is laminated from two layers of 1/2" plywood and will be fiberglass/epoxied once complete. The body bolts through the spacer to the metal frame which will in turn bolt to the 1/8" floor pans. I have just enough tire clearance with the body at full drop that the frame hits the ground before the tires hit the body. I'll be able to go railin' without shredding my tires.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Completed the initial 1" e-brake raise and welded in the shift rod adjuster. New shifter bushing coming in next parts order. I'll fill the gaps in the tunnel once it's proven to be working 100%.

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I like how it looks when aired up, I think even more of a forward rake, would give it an aggressive stance and bring the top into that aggressive look. That picture reminds me of the old Rat Fink cartoons. Maybe a really tall shifter with a cue ball for a knob!
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Made some wooden spacers the height of the collapsed bags while measuring/fabbing the framework to get the rear air ride working again. I tapped them so they bolt in just like the bags to make sure nothing shifts while welding. My plan is to tie into the torsion housing x4 and just ahead of the engine cradle mounts. The air tank and compressor will mount off the upper hoop when finished.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

A little more progress today. Both of the bag mount front tie-ins are done, two mid and two rear ones to go. I should be able to air the suspension up soon. Need to pick up more 1.5" .120 tubing so I can finish it.

tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Our friend in Kamloops B.C. has had this yellow HillBilly for many years. This one the chassis has been shortened 21 inches approx.

This is another HillBilly body waiting for someone to build.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: