Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leoukaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone can help me with a problem im having. So i have a MG MiGi II and i set it up with a new distributor, new carb, switched over to electric fuel pump (with the regulator set to 2.5),and a few other new parts and i adjusted the carb the right way but it keeps revving as it heats up. It starts ip cold at about 800rpm them as it warms up it keeps getting louder it goes past 2000 rpm and keeps going over 3000 rpm until i shut it off. What can be the problem?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up Reply with quote

Is the carb a Solex copy? If it is then I suspect that you have not put a power wire to the choke element or if you have the choke element is not working or is out of adjustment.

I am also wondering why the engine would need a need fuel pump, carb and distributor all at the same time. It's been my experience that the original German parts are superior but sometimes need a good clean up/gaskets etc. Aftermarket parts often introduce as many problems as they fix these days.

Post some engine pictures please.
Leoukaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply i only needed to change the distributor because it was’nt starting but i just decided to swap out some parts just to have new ones and not have problems later. I will upload some pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up Reply with quote

That is NOT a stock carb! It does have an electric choke so the choke comments should still apply. That is also not the stock distributor either.
Leoukaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That is NOT a stock carb! It does have an electric choke so the choke comments should still apply. That is also not the stock distributor either.

Yes they arent stock but i did adjust them as best i could and the electric choke too i adjusted that it wasnt too hard. The car starts right up with no problems as soon as you tuen they key, it runs good for a minute then as it heats up is where the rpms start going high. I left the mechanical pump in just because i like the way it looks, and i removed the short drive rod to make it non functional. Could it be a problem if it sucks air through the line from the mechanical pump?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up Reply with quote

It looks to me like the mechanical fuel pump is out of the loop so should not effect anything.

Does the choke open fully on it's own? Is there a fast idle cam on the carb choke linkage that is hanging up? You do not have a vacuum pot on the distributor so are all the vacuum ports plugged on the carb? Is there a vacuum leak somewhere between the carb and the heads on the intake?

That is all I can think of not having owned or tinkered with a progressive on an air cooled VW.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: MiGi II with VW engine revving high when warming up Reply with quote

Howdy ...

I ran that same carburetor on my '74, owned from '93 to '04. The adjustments are up front near the shroud. I used needlenose pliers but the tips were covered in PlastiDip for grip.
I lived with the off idle stumble & pig-rich setting that gave horrible gas mileage with easily fouled plugs.

Did you do valves, points, timing, & then carburetor when fully warmed up ?
Points affect timing & no vacuum advance means you set timing ALL IN @ about 2,800RPM - static is just to get it to run.
ANY vacuum leak is bad.
A $25 RPM/dwell meter would serve you nicely. Mine is an old analog AccuTron.

I go by numbers - not ear ... since 1988ish

You got this ... stay safe

jinx

That choke wire is rusty, crusty, & has a cheap connector.

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: